• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB de Villiers vs Gordon Greenidge

Who is the better test batsman?

• Total voters

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think it was implied that it did.

And of course it makes sense, there's a reason why Ponting and Sachin are rated above Kallis, Sobers above Barrington, Hobbs over Surcliffe, Richards over Gavaskar and Border.
8-)

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Gabaskars reputation was built around the horrible WI attacks of the early '70's and WSC ravaged attacks.

Gavaskar never scored a hundred against a decent pace attack on anything faster than QPO and Bourda, look at his records on Kensington or Sabina. He murdered poor attacks and good attacks on slow pitches.

Is he better than Gordon, yes, is the 3rd best (test) opener ever, definitely yes, but to pretend he's leagues ahead is also misleading.
He scored some pretty hard runs against a raging Thomson in Perth and Adelaide.... Just because he relatively failed in a single series against the quartet, it's wrong to say he was somehow not adaptable for such conditions. I believe I have said this before, but without counting the 71 tour, he has played a total of two Test matches in Kingston and a single in Kensington; and has a great fifty in the former (you could read about that innings against Holding, Daniel, Holder and co., many rank it as Gavaskar's finest innings). Also, Gavaskar was never comparable to Richards in a fast track, slow and turning tracks had always been his strong suit.

Last edited:

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Don't think it was implied that it did.

And of course it makes sense, there's a reason why Ponting and Sachin are rated above Kallis, Sobers above Barrington, Hobbs over Surcliffe, Richards over Gavaskar and Border.
Replace Ponting with Lara. There’s many people that rate Kallis higher than Ponting as shown in the voting thread. Agree with the rest.

Last edited:

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
voting is not over yet ;). imo people who watched with their eyes and not just looked at spreadsheets know.
Ponting will get more votes for sure but picking Kallis is a perfectly reasonable opinion as the votes shows. I’d much rather have Kallis batting for me in tough conditions but I can see the argument for Ponting as well.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Ponting will get more votes for sure but picking Kallis is a perfectly reasonable opinion as the votes shows. I’d much rather have Kallis batting for me in tough conditions but I can see the argument for Ponting as well.
Yeah they are close enough for sure, and I agree that in really tough conditions I'd also take Kallis to bat for my life (more solid technically).

Sunil1z

International Regular
Gabaskars reputation was built around the horrible WI attacks of the early '70's and WSC ravaged attacks.

Gavaskar never scored a hundred against a decent pace attack on anything faster than QPO and Bourda, look at his records on Kensington or Sabina. He murdered poor attacks and good attacks on slow pitches.

Is he better than Gordon, yes, is the 3rd best (test) opener ever, definitely yes, but to pretend he's leagues ahead is also misleading.
Yeah those 500 runs on England tour in 1979 shouldn’t count .

Sunil1z

International Regular
Guy hates Gavaskar and faps on Lara who never scored Test century against Wasim and Waqar , Donald and Pollock . Lara wouldn’t have a Test career if he played in 80s . Lara was hit multiple times on his helmet on SA tour . Only time Lara faced Shoaib , he had to be removed from Ground . Lara was a pathetic weak attack bully who used to feast on sub-par attack .

Only time Lara faced Shoaib . And people believe this guy would have survived 80s8EDF92FF-22E4-4D3F-BD9D-E55B831A678B.jpeg

Sunil1z

International Regular
Lara did also struggle on his toughest tours to Aus and Eng

That home series against Mcgrath was amazing though
Nah Home series shouldn’t count according to Kyear .

If Kyear doesn’t want to count Gavaskar’s run in WI in 71 and 76 , he should be honest and shouldn’t count Sobers runs in IND .
Sobers doesn’t even average 45 away if we remove the minnow bashing he did against IND in 50s and 60s
9AC30FF8-CF07-4DDD-B6D7-9A34BCEA9F99.jpeg

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
Nah Home series shouldn’t count according to Kyear .

If Kyear doesn’t want to count Gavaskar’s run in WI in 71 and 76 , he should be honest and shouldn’t count Sobers runs in IND .
Sobers doesn’t even average 45 away if we remove the minnow bashing he did against IND in 60s and 70s
View attachment 39897
To top it off, I don't get the reasoning for not counting the 76 series....

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Guy hates Gavaskar and faps on Lara who never scored Test century against Wasim and Waqar , Donald and Pollock . Lara wouldn’t have a Test career if he played in 80s . Lara was hit multiple times on his helmet on SA tour . Only time Lara faced Shoaib , he had to be removed from Ground . Lara was a pathetic weak attack bully who used to feast on sub-par attack .

Only time Lara faced Shoaib . And people believe this guy would have survived 80sView attachment 39896
When they dunk on one great player they don't factor in the possibility that the same could happen to their own favourites.

shortpitched713

International Captain

This is literally every great batsman, if you start to dive into their record. They all do better when they can target weaknesses in opposing attack, easier pitches, or familiarity with home conditions. And they all struggle against better bowlers in tougher conditions ( like no ****, of course they would ). Gavaskar was very, very, very good in enough conditions and circumstances, that you can't hold some early bashing of WI attacks ( still not horrible bowling quality in the grand scheme of things, mind ) in unfamiliar away conditions, against him as some sort of "gotcha". It really doesn't work that way.