• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Swimming Thread

howardj

International Coach
Wouldn't want to be you guys' kid, your investments in my sport might go wasted.
Way off topic, but there's a bit of a difference between shelling out money for your own kid, and shelling out money for a stranger who (unlike kids who go to Uni) never pay the taxpayer back. It's always been a bit of a bee in my bonnet that a 17 year old with a dream of becoming a doctor has to pay back their taxpayer funded Uni fees (which I don't have a problem with); however a teen who chases their dream in swimming for example (a largely selfish pursuit, as with all sports) never has to pay back a cent.

Anyway, my two cents...

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Honestly, weirdest morning. Sullivan and Schipper underachive when we could have expected better and then the relay team and Rickard completley exceed all expectations. That's not even getting into the Trickett drama, lol.
TBF on Sullivan, he was literally inches behind Bernard (sp?).

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Way off topic, but there's a bit of a difference between shelling out money for your own kid, and shelling out money for a stranger who (unlike kids who go to Uni) never pay the taxpayer back. It's always been a bit of a bee in my bonnet that a 17 year old with a dream of becoming a doctor has to pay back their taxpayer funded Uni fees (which I don't have a problem with); however a teen who chases their dream in swimming for example (a largely selfish pursuit, as with all sports) never has to pay back a cent.

Anyway, my two cents...
An excellent point IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will be interesting to see how much Phelps held back in the 100 'fly. Apparently his heat swim was his 2nd fastest time ever and he was beaten. That said, he'll probs come out and win by a body lenght or 3 in the semi/final.
Gary Hall Jr was on the radio here yesterday and said he thought Phelps was maybe starting to get tired (and why wouldn't he?).

Bloke's just on the biggest roll ever though - you'd think he can do it, but if Crocker beats him in the 100 butterfly, doesn't he then lose the spot on the medley relay, meaning "only" 6 golds or something like that?

Burgey

TBF on Sullivan, he was literally inches behind Bernard (sp?).
It's that close, if you breathe the wrong way or something you lose in those sprints. Was kind of surprised to see Trickett not use the fast suit in the semis, when there's so little between everyone.

Anyway, hopefully she does a Perkins from lane 8 today.

Burgey

Apparently Bruce has said on Seven that Hackett's crook in the lead up to the 1500.

Busting for him to win it a third time. Hoping it's not so.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gary Hall Jr was on the radio here yesterday and said he thought Phelps was maybe starting to get tired (and why wouldn't he?).

Bloke's just on the biggest roll ever though - you'd think he can do it, but if Crocker beats him in the 100 butterfly, doesn't he then lose the spot on the medley relay, meaning "only" 6 golds or something like that?
In the unlikely event that it happens, I'd reckon he might swim the Freestyle leg. He's likely faster than Lezak but just cbf entering in the 100.

Burgey

Bernard assisted by being 10 feet tall imo.
How big is that bloke? Looks like a WWE guy or something.
In the unlikely event that it happens, I'd reckon he might swim the Freestyle leg. He's likely faster than Lezak but just cbf entering in the 100.
Hard to believe he's just got that many options. Boggles the mind a bit. Read this morning he apparently had ADHD as a kid and got picked on massively.
I think he's having the last lagh on the school yard bullies.
Edit: This Cielo fella might have the last laugh on all of em in the 50.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
(y) Callus

Sullivan to win it.

EDIT: Jones to win in a WR, slowed down massively for the final lap yesterday, should stroll through.