• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group A - India, England, Australia, West Indies

magsi23

U19 Debutant
what the hell was that? match was in windies bag and the panic started? i am glad that they got through though, well deserved and good to see windies doing good again i think international cricket needed that

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Jono said:
When did he make the comment that it was a close game at 200/3?

Did he say it when it was 200/3, or after the match. If he said it when it was 200/3 he was right, even if at the time it sounded stupid. Fact is, it turned out to be a nail-biter.

If he said after the game that the game was close from 200/3 onwards, then he's using hindsight.
This post clearly implies that this statement was made when WI were 200/3.

http://forum.cricketweb.net/showpost.php?p=948868&postcount=1044

Mr Mxyzptlk is pretty blind when it comes to discussing WI cricket.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Umm.. no... neither Smith nor Samuels is presently being picked for batting. They're picked because they're both bowling really well.
Sad but true. Hopefully though Samuels gets some overs to bat and Smith can get his head checked soon because something's wrong with his batting and it looks to be a mental condition IMO.

Dravid

International Captain
Fratboy said:
Did anyone else feel like punching Manjrekar in the face when he went on and on about how close this game was shaping up to be when the WI were 200 odd for 3 ?
Even when they were 200-3, they still needed over 6 an over if I remember correctly. Sure over 6 an over with 7 wickets is possible, but the tight bowling India had was what made this game so close....and also the fact the West Indies batsman weren't hitting any shots untill the last few overs.

Dravid

International Captain
If India want to win against Australia they need to do the following:

1) Drop Suresh Raina, and either bring in Dinesh Mongia or Mohammad Kaif. Both of them are in better form than Raina.

2) Stop sending Pathan at 3 at the wrong time. India lost an early wicket against WI and instead of Pathan, Dravid should've been sent in at 3 because he is the rescue man for India. Pathan should only be sent at # 3 if India have atleast put 70-90 runs on the board with the opening partnership.

3) Stop giving Agarkar the crucial overs at the end of the game.

4) Drop RP Singh for Powar. Ramesh Powar is needed as the spinner and India need to take that risk and hope they bowl first so the spinner comes to more use.

If India does all that and excute their innings well, that game will be theirs.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jono said:
When did he make the comment that it was a close game at 200/3?

Did he say it when it was 200/3, or after the match. If he said it when it was 200/3 he was right, even if at the time it sounded stupid. Fact is, it turned out to be a nail-biter.

If he said after the game that the game was close from 200/3 onwards, then he's using hindsight.
Yep. (As almost always) I agree with Jono. Manjrekar said it when it was 200/3, and he cited the example of what happened with the West Indians when they got Gilly out. But he wasn't the only person with the feeling that WI might wobble, a few expressed it in the thread. All in all, a good call.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dravid said:
If India want to win against Australia they need to do the following:

1) Drop Suresh Raina, and either bring in Dinesh Mongia or Mohammad Kaif. Both of them are in better form than Raina.

2) Stop sending Pathan at 3 at the wrong time. India lost an early wicket against WI and instead of Pathan, Dravid should've been sent in at 3 because he is the rescue man for India. Pathan should only be sent at # 3 if India have atleast put 70-90 runs on the board with the opening partnership.

4) Drop RP Singh for Powar. Ramesh Powar is needed as the spinner and India need to take that risk and hope they bowl first so the spinner comes to more use.

If India does all that and excute their innings well, that game will be theirs.
I agree with you about sending Pathan in at one down, he is quite obviously not a #3 batsman but can occasionally play a decent innings. Dravid was the ideal man for the job last night when Sehwag was out and it baffles me why they sent Pathan in after they had lost an early wicket. Not too sure about dropping Suresh Raina but definately Dinesh Mongia should be given a chance, he performed well in Malaysia when he was given a shot and deserves another one.

Powar does need to stay in the side, it really makes the decision not to select Sreesanth in the squad look quite bad.

Dravid

International Captain
Perm said:
I agree with you about sending Pathan in at one down, he is quite obviously not a #3 batsman but can occasionally play a decent innings. Dravid was the ideal man for the job last night when Sehwag was out and it baffles me why they sent Pathan in after they had lost an early wicket. Not too sure about dropping Suresh Raina but definately Dinesh Mongia should be given a chance, he performed well in Malaysia when he was given a shot and deserves another one.

Powar does need to stay in the side, it really makes the decision not to select Sreesanth in the squad look quite bad.
Raina is the only batsman that can be dropped for Kaif or Mongia. Tendulkar cant be dropped for obvious reasons. Sehwag can't either because he is an opener and they have no other opener in the squad. Yuvraj has been in better form and a major part of the middle order and can't be dropped. Dhoni is the keeper and saved India last match an can't be dropped. Dravid obviously can't be dropped either. Pathan won't be dropped either because India is going with 5 bowlers and 7 batsman. There is no other option but to drop Raina for those two.

adharcric

International Coach
Dravid said:
Raina's innings of late have been extremely frustrating. Every time he plays a nice little cameo of 20-25 runs and then chops it on or rolls it on or loses his balance ... something bizarre. Today's dismissal was unfortunate and while the kid should remain in the squad, he needs to be benched in the next game for Mongia. Mongia plays a classy knock against the Aussies and doesn't get either of the next two games ... that's beyond unfair.
Dravid said:
Right on. As I said earlier, Pathan is a lower-order batsman who should only come in to attack the opposition when the openers get off to a good start. There's a reason Dravid is called the "wall". In fact, Pathan getting promoted is probably screwing over someone like Raina as well. Raina is far superior as a batsman and if he's given a chance to come up the order I'm sure he'll gain more confidence and thrive. Pathan is a strike bowler who can bat, not a #3 batsman who can bowl.
Dravid said:
Agarkar definitely blew it today. In his defense, he's a pretty good bowler at the death. Before this season, the reason he was considered a "wicket-taker" despite being a crap bowler overall was because he was very effective in the late overs. That said, Munaf has the makings of a very good death bowler because he has better control than any other Indian pacer and has a good yorker. Sreesanth and Zaheer would also make good options if they make the side.
Dravid said:
In a way I'm glad RP Singh turned in a pathetic performance so the selectors realize what a huge mistake they made by choosing him over Sreesanth and Powar. Powar has been a match-winner for India ever since he got a call-up and Sreesanth >>> RP Singh. Powar must return against Australia.

Sehwag, Tendulkar, Dravid, Yuvraj, Mongia, Dhoni, Pathan, Powar, Harbhajan, Agarkar, Munaf

Perm

I'm not suggesting that Mongia or Kaif come into the team straight away but I definately think that Mongia deserves another chance, although it would be harsh on Raina. It's not like he's been really poor and deserves dropped.

adharcric

International Coach
There are three positives I can draw from yesterday's defeat.

1) Dhoni played a brilliant innings and he had to work hard for it. He actually grafted, started slowly and attacked once he was set. He seems to be learning now.

2) Tendulkar, Dravid and Yuvraj all seem to be in pretty good touch with the bat. Tendulkar looked very good before chopping a low one on to his stumps. Dravid too looked solid before getting screwed in that mess with Dhoni. Yuvraj was playing a stable innings before mistiming a cover drive, but he looked alright. We didn't bat very well, but there was some bad luck involved.

3) Munaf was brilliant yet again and RP Singh was pathetic yet again. Please bring Sreesanth back.

adharcric

International Coach
Perm said:
I'm not suggesting that Mongia or Kaif come into the team straight away but I definately think that Mongia deserves another chance, although it would be harsh on Raina. It's not like he's been really poor and deserves dropped.
Raina's very talented but he hasn't made a good contribution in a while now. He's been getting starts and getting out every single time. He's only getting dropped from the XI, not the squad. It'll be more harsh if Mongia continues to sit on the bench.

Perm

adharcric said:
Raina's very talented but he hasn't made a good contribution in a while now. He's been getting starts and getting out every single time. He's only getting dropped from the XI, not the squad. It'll be more harsh if Mongia continues to sit on the bench.
I just did a little bit of research on Raina and I've changed my mind, he hasn't really performed in the last few ODI's that he has played and Mongia performed very well in the DLF Cup. Give him a chance, plus he adds that extra bowling that India could use if they decide to leave Ramesh Powar out.

R_D

International Debutant
Ah Agarkar...:@

The way Raina and Dhoni batted was pretty paththic display really. WI's were bowling tight line but neither did anything to try and score runs, both were happy to just pad the bowl to fielders... how hard is it to hit few singles... i was tearing my hair out watching both of them bat. When Harbhajan came out he showed bit of intentent and tried hitting the bowl in the air but Raina and Dhoni just didn't do anything.
Dhoni batted well in the end but those middle overs really cost us badly in the end. Not sure but they scored only 20 or 25 runs between over 31-40... which quite poor.
hopefully Kaif in for Raina next match.. i think he need to go back to domestic and have few outing their, he doesn't look international quality just yet and same goes for RP Singh.

Dravid

International Captain
Kaif has done good in the last 5 ODI's he has played, but the low point in his career is against Australia and hes only avg 8 runs a inning against them in ODI. It would be a tough task to see which one is picked. But I don't really care who comes in, but someone has to. A change is needed in the line-up

Dravid

International Captain
R_D said:
Ah Agarkar...:@

The way Raina and Dhoni batted was pretty paththic display really. WI's were bowling tight line but neither did anything to try and score runs, both were happy to just pad the bowl to fielders... how hard is it to hit few singles... i was tearing my hair out watching both of them bat. When Harbhajan came out he showed bit of intentent and tried hitting the bowl in the air but Raina and Dhoni just didn't do anything.
Dhoni batted well in the end but those middle overs really cost us badly in the end. Not sure but they scored only 20 or 25 runs between over 31-40... which quite poor.
hopefully Kaif in for Raina next match.. i think he need to go back to domestic and have few outing their, he doesn't look international quality just yet and same goes for RP Singh.
Harbhajan started hitting right away cause India had very few overs left. Dhoni and Raina were doing the right thing and trying to bat out the 50 overs.

Dravid

International Captain
Actually I just thought of something. Another option India could consider would be to drop Sehwag for Mongia. Lets not forget Mongia has opened the inning for India before and his highest score of 159* was made opening. He is also avg over 41 opening in 9 innings. I highly doubt the selectors would drop Sehwag but it could be considered.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You just don't drop a player who made a 60 odd chasing in a big game against the Aussies under tough conditions and then expect to win games. Neither can you just keep sending in someone who is, at best, a lower order batsman, at no.3 in tough pitches against the new ball and expect it to click everytime. If you are so damn particular about having a proper batter at 7, then just pick 7 batsmen and hope that Viru, Sachin and Yuvraj and Mongia will do the job with the ball. Everything that India have been doing recently has been wrong. I know it seems a fine thing to be saying now, but that is just how it has been. Pathan is losing confidence both as a batter and as a bowler. He was never gonna be a really good batsman with a couple of obvious weaknesses. The best that could have happened to him would have been him continuing to be a threat with the new white ball and then, some of that confidence could have crept into his batting. His hitting in the lower order can be essential on tracks like these and the ones we may encounter in the caribbean. At the top, we need someone like Dravid or Kaif at 3. They can play the anchor role, Kaif more than Dravid because Dravid has other gears while I am not sure Kaif does. This side might be the best we can put out on the park right now:

Sachin
Viru
Kaif
Yuvraj
Dravid
Mongia
Dhoni
Pathan (if he is in decent bowling form)
Harbhajan
Agarkar
Munaf

The reserves could be:

Raina, Sreesanth, Powar

And for the WC, we can maybe bring in another batter or keeper.