• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell vs Ricky Ponting

Who was the greater test batsmen?

• Greg Chappell

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 26 47.3%

• Total voters

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Yep totally. Thats why Lillee retired too he was afraid to go and face the batting. And Marsh was afraid to go and face keeping on those pitches.

All 3 absolute tossers. Retired at 36 35 and 34. Awful all round.
Disagree with Lillee. He'd had a lot of injuries over the years and 34 is a very reasonable age for a quick to retire. He was basically done. Chappell was the retirement that has always seemed very convenient to me.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep totally. Thats why Lillee retired too he was afraid to go and face the batting. And Marsh was afraid to go and face keeping on those pitches.

All 3 absolute tossers. Retired at 36 35 and 34. Awful all round.
I didn't nearly intimate the others though, lol.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Disagree with Lillee. He'd had a lot of injuries over the years and 34 is a very reasonable age for a quick to retire. He was basically done. Chappell was the retirement that has always seemed very convenient to me.
Why was it convenient?

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Why was it convenient?
He was still at an age where a middle order batsman could reasonably be expected to continue and decided not to just when the biggest test of his measure came around. The majority of the other ATG batsmen played beyond that age and took a hit to their averages by doing so. I think that Chappell's retirement at that moment was convenient for him and makes his record look better than it would if he had batted a couple of years longer, like Ponting for example.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
He was still at an age where a middle order batsman could reasonably be expected to continue and decided not to just when the biggest test of his measure came around. The majority of the other ATG batsmen played beyond that age and took a hit to their averages by doing so. I think that Chappell's retirement at that moment was convenient for him and makes his record look better than it would if he had batted a couple of years longer, like Ponting for example.
Exactly.

Chappell retired at 35 (....87 tests)

Border at 39 (...150 tests)
Waugh at 38.5 (..168 tests)
Ponting at 38 (...168 tests)

Kallis at 38 (...166 tests)
Dravid at 39 (...164 tests)
Tendukar 40.5 (...200 tests)

B Lara at 37.5 (.....131 Tests)
Gavaskar at 38 (...124 tests)
Richards at 39 (....124 tests)
Sobers at 38 (..... 93 tests)
Hutton at 39 (.....79 tests)

Last edited:

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
Exactly.

Chappell retired at 35 (....87 tests)

Border at 39 (...150 tests)
Waugh at 38.5 (..168 tests)
Ponting at 38 (...168 tests)

Kallis at 38 (...166 tests)
Dravid at 39 (...164 tests)
Tendukar 40.5 (...200 tests)

B Lara at 37.5 (.....131 Tests)
Gavaskar at 38 (...124 tests)
Richards at 39 (....124 tests)
G Sobers at 38 (..... 93 tests)
L Hutton at 39 (.....79 tests)
The number of Tests mean little to me provided the player plays most of the Tests in the time frame. A lot of the Tests Chappell missed were for the understandable reason of trying to proffesionalise cricket globally too. My main issue with him is he mostly played in an age range that would generally be considered peak years and, in particular, didn't leave opportunity for a decline. I tend to rate him a bit lower for that.

capt_Luffy

International Debutant
The number of Tests mean little to me provided the player plays most of the Tests in the time frame. A lot of the Tests Chappell missed were for the understandable reason of trying to proffesionalise cricket globally too. My main issue with him is he mostly played in an age range that would generally be considered peak years and, in particular, didn't leave opportunity for a decline. I tend to rate him a bit lower for that.
Lower than Ponting??

(Please say no please say no please say no please say no....)

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Chappell didn't play in India at all,

plus only 4 tests in Asia,
plus just 5 tests in West Indies (all in 1973!) before any of Roberts, Holding & Garner.

He only played in Aus 65% and England 20% (avg 40) and 15% in all other countries put together.

Ponting > Border > Chappell

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
No reason to penalise Chappell IMO.

subshakerz

International Coach
But other players average a lot higher if you give them a Chappell level time frame.
It's their choice when they retire and they should own their record. I may concede that Ponting felt a need to artificially extend his career for team reasons tho.

For example, ABD chose to end his career in his prime when he could have bumped his average a few points. I can't rate him higher based on how I think he may have done.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
It's their choice when they retire and they should own their record. I may concede that Ponting felt a need to artificially extend his career for team reasons tho.

For example, ABD chose to end his career in his prime when he could have bumped his average a few points. I can't rate him higher based on how I think he may have done.
He felt the team would be worse off without him, even past his best, and imo was correct about that. Same with Gordon Greenidge. I'm confident that mid 80s Aus would have benefitted from Chappell still being around even if it affected Chappell's averages. I will absolutely judge high end players for this kind of thing as it does imo inflate averages compared to players who played more outside peak eras, which is most ATG bats.

subshakerz

International Coach
He felt the team would be worse off without him, even past his best, and imo was correct about that. Same with Gordon Greenidge. I'm confident that mid 80s Aus would have benefitted from Chappell still being around even if it affected Chappell's averages. I will absolutely judge high end players for this kind of thing as it does imo inflate averages compared to players who played more outside peak eras, which is most ATG bats.
Sure to each their own. It doesn't matter if Chappell averages 54 or 51 to me in my judgment tho.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chappell didn't play in India at all,

plus only 4 tests in Asia,
plus just 5 tests in West Indies (all in 1973!) before any of Roberts, Holding & Garner.

He only played in Aus 65% and England 20% (avg 40) and 15% in all other countries put together.

Ponting > Border > Chappell
Chappell would have smashed the Indian spinners around at that time. He was a terrific player of spin and they were comparatively hapless.

Having said that, he didn't tour there so we can't objectively know.

I rate Ponting higher than him because GC used to pick and choose his tours a bit too much for my liking.

For example, if he'd toured England in 81 Aus would have won that series in a canter. It should go against him in terms of his record that he didn't.

subshakerz

International Coach
Chappell would have smashed the Indian spinners around at that time. He was a terrific player of spin and they were comparatively hapless.

Having said that, he didn't tour there so we can't objectively know.

I rate Ponting higher than him because GC used to pick and choose his tours a bit too much for my liking.

For example, if he'd toured England in 81 Aus would have won that series in a canter. It should go against him in terms of his record that he didn't.
Why didn't he go?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He was just worn out I think. He'd had the underarm thing in the preceding summer and he's said since then he was mentally shot. It was a weird time in Aus cricket with the putting back together after WSC. Guys were well paid cf before hand, but I think he also had some business interests which he wanted to work on.

Don't get me wrong, he was a properly great player. But for me when you're choosing between players of a similar calibre, that sort of thing comes into it. It doesn't for everyone, but each to their own.