• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does Jadeja make your India ATG XI?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Kumble was far from a bunny. A hundred may have been an overachievement but he could hang about and make useful runs once in a while.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Which is far from a requirement for a number 8.
Fully agreed, but may be for these line ups being selected because they're possibly a batsman short.

I'm not an expert on India's selection criteria of reserves by any stretch, and I know they were short handled the last series, but Jadeja for me at least looked way out of place batting that high up.

Similarly, and using @OverratedSanity team (think was the best I saw and knows his stuff), it's really a batsman short imo. I know the goal is to fit two spinners to cover all bases (and it's a strength), but outside of Sunny and Sachin the batting isn't as fortified as some of the other teams and to shorten it with Pant at 6 could be a problem? Against this level of bowling Viru could be a walking wicket at the top and this may be blasphemous but Kapil too may be a liability at this level.

Yes at home they could possibly overwhelm with the bowling and Bumrah would be a handful everywhere, but an extra batsman doesn't seem like a bad idea and use the two pacers and two spinners?

Just a thought.

Last edited:

J_C

U19 Captain
Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid (c)
Tendulkar
Laxman
Pant (+)
Jadeja
Kapil
Shami
Bumrah
Chandra

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
In ATG cricket it's exceptionally handy. For some reason CW tends to tolerate tails of ATG teams that, when faced with teams of the same calibre, average 15, 10, 8, 5.
You're literally the no. 1 bat deep guy on CW.

So hypothetical situation, India vs Australia, Pakistan, South Africa or West Indies on a quick Perth / Sabina Park pitch, the top order gets blown away, how much is Jadeja, Ashwin, Sev really adding vs a rampaging Lillee / Imran / Steyn / Marshall?

Yes I agree that it has its purpose, but the better option could be to pick the best bowling options to possibly bowl out the opposition just as cheaply?

By the way, this is the same frustration I feel when everyone picks teams with zero though to the cordon. And they care way less about the codon. 🤷🏽‍♂️

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The keeper would bat 6. To me, it is a simple choice - Kapil at 7, which means 8 can be either Jadeja or Ashwin. I prefer having bowlers of every variety available in ATG scenarios, so I would go with Kumble at 9 and Jadeja at 8. Also, Kapil can slide down to bat 8, and Jaddu can bat 7.

GirthQuake

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Javagal Srinath's problem was not bowling a few inches short of wicket taking length. Sure, he may have *sometimes* erred in length, as all bowlers do. But it was hardly a fatal flaw in his career or something that he was consistently beset with.

Srinath's biggest handicap was that he had Debasis Mohanty, Dodda Ganesh, Kuruvila, Ankola, and other illustrious bowling partners at the other end for 80 percent of his career.

There's no remedy for that handicap no matter how good a bowler you might be.

Just have a look at Indian quicks averages since Bumrah's debut.

Shami averages 25 in 37 tests since.

Umesh averaged 24 in 21 tests since.

Ishant averaged 21 in 26 tests since.

Someone as harmless as Thakur has a sub-30 average since Bumrah's debut and nobody is going to make a cogent case that Thakur is any better than Doddas of 90s.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
The keeper would bat 6. To me, it is a simple choice - Kapil at 7, which means 8 can be either Jadeja or Ashwin. I prefer having bowlers of every variety available in ATG scenarios, so I would go with Kumble at 9 and Jadeja at 8. Also, Kapil can slide down to bat 8, and Jaddu can bat 7.
But then a shorter and weaker lineup than the other teams they are facing