• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kane Williamson vs AB de Villiers

Who is the greater test batsman?

• Total voters

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Williamson: 8490 runs @ 55.12 (while batting at 3)

De Villiers: 8765 runs @ 50.66 (while batting at 5)

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
ABdV is one of the most talented players I have ever seen. Far better on the eye test than the Fab 4.

But.

22 tons in 100+ tests. Batted #5. A #5 should be the guy to claim all the glorious records.

KW bats #3 in one of the most challenging eras to bat in test history. That holds a lot of weight for me. I don't really like voting after one guy has had a golden game so I will hold off. Fingers crossed we see the Fab 4 for a while more yet.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
ABdV is one of the most talented players I have ever seen. Far better on the eye test than the Fab 4.

But.

22 tons in 100+ tests. Batted #5. A #5 should be the guy to claim all the glorious records.

KW bats #3 in one of the most challenging eras to bat in test history. That holds a lot of weight for me. I don't really like voting after one guy has had a golden game so I will hold off. Fingers crossed we see the Fab 4 for a while more yet.
Huge issue here and in general lol. Thats one of the reasons its harder to rate current cricketers, its extremely easy to get swept up in the moment.

Athlai

Not Terrible
AB was pretty gun but reckon he just isn't quite the quality of the Fab Four. A guy just on the periphery, like Babar Azam

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Sometimes a players best form just coincides more with home games. Williamson averages like 67 at home while ABD only averages 47 at home.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain

But.

Number 5 is the easiest. But he didn't bat there often enough to claim all the glorious records. It's a bit more than 1/3 of his innings. He has probably the best ever record at number 5, other than the fact that others batted there more often.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Number 5 is the easiest. But he didn't bat there often enough to claim all the glorious records. It's a bit more than 1/3 of his innings. He has probably the best ever record at number 5, other than the fact that others batted there more often.
Given everything I’d probably say Waugh personally, but he’s definitely right up there.

Bolo.

Given everything I’d probably say Waugh personally, but he’s definitely right up there.
Ya, fair play if you want to rate Waugh above AB. I do too, and it isn't a tough decision.

But in the context of the post I was replying to, AB does have a notably better record at 5 than Waugh, whether or not he was better when he was batting 5 (which I'm not sure about).

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Ya, fair play if you want to rate Waugh above AB. I do too, and it isn't a tough decision.

But in the context of the post I was replying to, AB does have a notably better record at 5 than Waugh, whether or not he was better when he was batting 5 (which I'm not sure about).
I mean I was talking specifically about 5 too, 104 matches at 56, 58 matches at 59 in the 90’s especially is ridiculously good.

Bolo.

I mean I was talking specifically about 5 too, 104 matches at 56, 58 matches at 59 in the 90’s especially is ridiculously good.
You are arguing better, which is different to the record argument being put through in the OP. AB is well ahead on average and innings per 100, and very far ahead on RPI.

IDK if ABs numbers (and home tracks) outweigh Waughs era. Probably IMO. He was really good at playing according to match situation. Not a big deal either way though- AB Mostly didn't bat 5.