• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies tour of Australia, Jan–Feb 2024

Calm_profit

State Vice-Captain
Still i believe Australia batting line up sucks,will be interesting to see how they perform against Newzealand and India next year.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What did he say? Curious
I already knew this but it was good to hear someone say it out loud on the broadcast. He said the leather on the pink ball is treated in a way that polishing isn't effective. As it's more painted rather than dyed you can't access the natural surface of the leather and the greases in it. This means the scratches just stay there so you can't maintain the ball for it to swing.

From my own observations (including bowling with one, they occasionally turned up at training back when I played), the surface is almost like a plastic coating. It forms a lot of fine scratches and just gets more and more matte without getting rough like the red ball (unless the pitch is very abrasive). And yes they don't polish well at all. They don't even polish or wear as well as the white ball (which also has a surface coating like it's been painted, but it's not as thick, so the ball wears in a way that makes it easier to get some contrast).

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Cummins the batsmen is just an upgraded version of the fat, 50 year old bloke who smashes it everywhere in club cricket. Backs away every ball if you go short, and his primary scoring areas are third and cow corner.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see the West Indies has copied the Australian strategy of bowling dumb **** at the tail to get them off the hook.

Starfighter

I see the West Indies has copied the Australian strategy of bowling dumb **** at the tail to get them off the hook.
Yeah, there's not been much to work with with the pitch and ball, but the combination of dumb bowling and letting Cummins get going with no third man has frittered away any advantage they had.

Even though we're declaring behind, I think we're distinctly ahead in the match now.

TheJediBrah

Heh interesting declaration but you could say it shows how little Hazlewood's batting is rated (and rightly so)

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
Knowing how frail the West Indies' batting is, this is definitely a time where this sort of declaration is justifiable.

morgieb

Heh interesting declaration but you could say it shows how little Hazlewood's batting is rated (and rightly so)
Think it had more to do with them wanting them to bowl a fair bit with the new ball under lights. 22 behind isn't much, and I think they value the impact of causing a collapse under lights rather than an extra 10-15 or so runs.

Gnske

I already knew this but it was good to hear someone say it out loud on the broadcast. He said the leather on the pink ball is treated in a way that polishing isn't effective. As it's more painted rather than dyed you can't access the natural surface of the leather and the greases in it. This means the scratches just stay there so you can't maintain the ball for it to swing.

From my own observations (including bowling with one, they occasionally turned up at training back when I played), the surface is almost like a plastic coating. It forms a lot of fine scratches and just gets more and more matte without getting rough like the red ball (unless the pitch is very abrasive). And yes they don't polish well at all. They don't even polish or wear as well as the white ball (which also has a surface coating like it's been painted, but it's not as thick, so the ball wears in a way that makes it easier to get some contrast).
Quality workmanship.

After Spark's comment they showed a slow mo of the release and it was very noticeable how much like a uniform, smooth orb the ball looks after that many overs.

TheJediBrah

Think it had more to do with them wanting them to bowl a fair bit with the new ball under lights. 22 behind isn't much, and I think they value the impact of causing a collapse under lights rather than an extra 10-15 or so runs.
I'm aware thanks

Edit: didn't mean to sound like a grumpy ****. I am one, but didn't mean to sound like it

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Is hazlewood injured? I thought the 9 down declaration was just to get some overs under lights with the new ball, but apparentlu green is warming up and not haze.