• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India 2023/24 #CryMoreTour

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Every ball bowled by a spinner has some overspin which would make it dip a fraction more (even on the path after the bounce) than any ball bowled by a pacer right?.
Firstly, not every ball has overspin. You even sometimes encounter spinners who spin deliveries backwards (that's how some leggier' sliders work, and you often see backspinning finger spinners at club level). Secondly, the gross overall trajectory is important. Spinners have a steeper trajectory. A good length is significantly fuller for a spinner for a reason - they bounce it more from that length. Thirdly, pretty sure Hawkeye models using the actual trajectory of the ball (it would struggle with swing otherwise because it's a aerodynamic effect). Even though the projection beyond impact is presumably modelled ballistically I doubt the remaining topspin after pitching over the short distance is enough to alter the trajectory as much as is being implied here.

Molehill

International Captain
yea dawson would've made a world of difference. i wonder if eng will persist with 2 seamers from now on for the rest of the series
I think they should, Anderson/Robinson generally keep it tight and would offer some form of control. Unsurprisingly, Hartley couldn't provide that. My guess is they'd be more like 80-2 instead of 118-1 now.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
A typically brutal day of test cricket for the tourists in India.

As we all know, we only have one test quality spinner - Jack Leach, and in India you aren't going to get away with the likes of Hartley.

You have to feel for Hartley, given a role in the side that he simply can't perform and he was brutally exposed by Jaiswal in particular.

It's not talking with the benefits hindsight as many of us were saying before the test that we should play either Jimmy or Robinson to try to give us an element of control in the field.

This looks like being a very long series for us, as we always suspected it would be.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
this is on the selectors, picking county second xi spinners will result in this
This stuff is usually pretty subjective, but picking Hartley over Dawson, who does the same job but is better in every way, older, and coming off a better county season seems pretty daft. I seriously doubt contributes less with the bat, and bowls as many boundary balls as Hartley did.

KungFu_Kallis

International 12th Man
This stuff is usually pretty subjective, but picking Hartley over Dawson, who does the same job but is better in every way, older, and coming off a better county season seems pretty daft. I seriously doubt contributes less with the bat, and bowls as many boundary balls as Hartley did.
1706184593939.jpeg

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
England Lions also look like they will get a stuffing.

The one bright spot was Matthew Potts taking a 6-fer in the innings.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Very limp display from England. A litany of soft dismissals. Really not a lot in this pitch from what I saw. I feel India will only have to bat once.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Very limp display from England. A litany of soft dismissals. Really not a lot in this pitch from what I saw. I feel India will only have to bat once.
Hartley got a few to absolutely rip in between the nonsense dismissal's and the indian spinners got a fair bit out of it, didn't they? Not saying there wasn't some daft shot's in there (crawley a good example), but I think there's more in the deck then your giving it credit for.