• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Semi Finals

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
It was a brutal and absorbing game, but hopefully the final is free-flowing as a lot of non-rugby fans will be watching and it would be good to grow the game.

Something like that amazing match at Ellis Park c. 10 years ago would be great.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The South African bench has been massive. Not afraid to hook their best players early if they think it’s the right move, which opens them up to so much criticism if they lose, but it’s really paid off.

That said they got nothing out of their passing game. A team like NZ would have punished England for kicking the ball away so much. But I think SA-NZ will be just as tight as this one with much better quality of rugby.

ripper868

International Coach
As a neutral, I think it was pretty even in the ref calls.

Hindsight is 20/20, but a key moment now seems to be when Farrell held on to the ball after SA were given a penalty inside their own half, then gobbed at the ref and was marched 10 metres, gifting 3 points. It was at a time where the Boks were finding no rhythm at the lineout etc as well.

On such fine margins, such things turn.

Certainly not a spectacle game like we had last week in basically every match (to a degree), but I enjoyed it. England applied tonnes of pressure, made it messy, and came within 2 minutes of pulling it off. Maybe if they'd of looked to score a try somewhere the outcome could of been different?

Anyway, good game, one for the purist, hopefully the 3v4 playoff is 42-38 or something and the final has good weather.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
As a neutral, I think it was pretty even in the ref calls.

Hindsight is 20/20, but a key moment now seems to be when Farrell held on to the ball after SA were given a penalty inside their own half, then gobbed at the ref and was marched 10 metres, gifting 3 points. It was at a time where the Boks were finding no rhythm at the lineout etc as well.

On such fine margins, such things turn.

Certainly not a spectacle game like we had last week in basically every match (to a degree), but I enjoyed it. England applied tonnes of pressure, made it messy, and came within 2 minutes of pulling it off. Maybe if they'd of looked to score a try somewhere the outcome could of been different?

Anyway, good game, one for the purist, hopefully the 3v4 playoff is 42-38 or something and the final has good weather.
That Farrell call was well before the monster drop goal though, and in the first half. We still came out the blocks far better than SA in the second.

More crucial for me were the two wasted chances on the Bok 5m line that we should have got 3 points minimum from each time. Then obviously the big one was the change in scrum fortunes after the front row replacements.

But yeah hard to grumble with the performance. Exceeded my expectations by so much it's not funny.

ripper868

International Coach
Errrm are you aware the losing team fans always slows down rugby games to find excuses as to why it woz the ref that woz da wun dat robbed us?

EDIT: I actually clicked the article, and the article states mistakes going both ways...so not quite sure what you're point is?

Refs make mistakes, so do the players.

Molehill

International Captain
Errrm are you aware the losing team fans always slows down rugby games to find excuses as to why it woz the ref that woz da wun dat robbed us?

EDIT: I actually clicked the article, and the article states mistakes going both ways...so not quite sure what you're point is?

Refs make mistakes, so do the players.

Normally if a ref is that **** he doesn’t then get given the big game the following week!

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
*after weeks of complaining about minnows, length of the tournament, the draw, predictability of games, refs, match rigging*

Man this World Cup is boring I wonder if the rugby is any better