• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Teja.

Global Moderator
I guess the answer is "because it would result in the promoters/wrestling companies losing out on lots of money".
I think the wrestlers would be the worst affected. I’m following the writers strike right now and a lot of them lament how streaming companies have killed the tv sitcom and weekly procedural/drama landscape which saw every season have 20-25 episodes and the writers would get residuals from every tv run financed by commercials. Writers had to be skilled in areas like quick output of programming and writing suspense beats around commercials. The writers would be hired through the entire writing as well as shooting process to work with the actors so it was a lucrative full time job which could go on for as long as the show went on for which was typically years.

They have been replaced by prestige shows on streaming platforms where there are 8-10 episodes all at once of a show with no commercials and the writers are only involved in a few weeks of writing and then ****ed off to find another gig. As the show doesn’t have a steady flow of money from commercials, residuals are next to nothing. They might get called in by the showrunner 2 years later but that is far from guaranteed.

I think this is very similar to pro wrestlers. As a consumer, I think the second model is better for quality control but I can understand why a non-main event worker would prefer the job security and pay of working throughout the year with multi-year contracts guaranteeing fixed pay with PPV bonuses etc instead of having to scramble for a job after shooting a 12 episode season.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Of all the releases from this round I feel most sorry for Emma, I think.

Three times she has been called up/brought back to the main roster, only for them to basically do nothing with her and/or screw up her character and then cut her again.

Really sucks, because she's awesome. I guess critics might say that three chances is more than enough to get over and make things work, and normally that would probably be a fair comment, but I really feel that in her case despite her repeated hirings and firings she never really got a fair crack at it.
Hoping her and the IIconics show up somewhere

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well, this was around the first brand extension and my simple thought was, why not have RAW for one 6 month period and SD for the other 6 months? And then have WM be this one huge supercard where all talents can collide.
What would the wrestlers do for the rest of the year? Just not get paid?

The TV deals are worth so much money because they get 6 hours of content every week, all year and aren’t affected by sporting seasons or striking so promotions aren’t going to give that up

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What would the wrestlers do for the rest of the year? Just not get paid?

The TV deals are worth so much money because they get 6 hours of content every week, all year and aren’t affected by sporting seasons or striking so promotions aren’t going to give that up
See there is an element of recording shows that can be played later. What WWE used to do back in the mid 90s first. And secondly, the contracts can be annual but work seasonal, no?

There is always appearances, comic cons etc that WWE would do as a mainstream media entity where they can be utilized.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don't think any major company would offer seasonal contracts on the regular tbf (i.e. because as mentioned before, the networks are the real paymasters and will want the top stars on TV every week), and I'm not sure talent would even want them (I.e. because no matter what other income streams exist, the biggest payday they get is for actual wrestling).

Edit: this isn't to say I disagree with the idea in principle. Such an arrangement would be a lot kinder to wrestlers in many ways. I just don't think it's likely.

Niall

International Coach
Anyone seen Wrestlers yet on Netflix?

Al Snow came across pretty well although maybe stuck in the past somewhat. I think OVW is still a financial disaster unfortunately.

Heboric

International Debutant
WWE confirmed the worst kept secret of the signing of Jade Cargill. Quite a loss for AEW

Maybe AEW can sign Kamile Brickhouse she has dropped the NWA title after a Roman Reignsesque run. Surely she would want something more than those bingo halls they use on NWA

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
WWE confirmed the worst kept secret of the signing of Jade Cargill. Quite a loss for AEW

Maybe AEW can sign Kamile Brickhouse she has dropped the NWA title after a Roman Reignsesque run. Surely she would want something more than those bingo halls they use on NWA
Yeah Jade has star written all over her. Great get for WWE.

Hope they debut her as someone accepting Becky Lynch's open challenge for the NXT women's championship, and have her go over. Would be a fantastic way to strap the rocket to her.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah thats a good call from Sledger. She is also someone that would be great to have 6 months or so of wrestling training in NXT.

Her character work is great but AEW doesn't really let new talents refine their in-ring work very quickly. Could probably have her main roster debut at the Rumble and work double duty for a couple months before leaving NXT for the main roster full time post-Mania.