• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Does cricket need a strong England?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We won away in Pakistan in the early 00s, can’t have been too bad
Yeah I think the mid-2000's was England's worst period in the 2000's. Like between the 05 and the 09 Ashes England basically had no wins of significance outside of Mumbai and maybe the 06 Pakistan series.

Think England struggled in the mid-2010's more than the late 2010's too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I think the mid-2000's was England's worst period in the 2000's. Like between the 05 and the 09 Ashes England basically had no wins of significance outside of Mumbai and maybe the 06 Pakistan series.

Think England struggled in the mid-2010's more than the late 2010's too.
Came from 0-1 down to win 2-1 in NZ in 2008.

number11

State 12th Man
Feels weird to put Bangladesh and West Indies in entirely different tiers as cricketing nations these days.
WI are a true pedigree team. Even in a horror period post 2000, they picked up a CT, 2 T20 crowns and a test series here and there. Sad to see them struggle but Bangladesh have no achievements and embarrass the sport.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Was a good fightback though. They were entertaining series those two with NZ that year.

The away one was the start of Broaderson of course. Was about three years before people stopped demanding Hoggard returned

Jumno

State 12th Man
Hinds, Gayle, Lara, Hooper, Chanderpaul, Samuels/Bravo, Jacobs, Collins, Taylor, Dillon, naga'motoo

Powell

Decent mid 00s side, early 00-2007 wc

Andy19

School Boy/Girl Captain
Cricket does need strong England team however this isn't Strong England team Currently.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
At the risk of being serious for a brief moment, I'd suggest it definitely doesn't.

I'd hazard a guess that English cricket fans are the most likely to continue to turn out to support/berate their national side even when they're in one of their (all too frequent) troughs.

It's not like we can say "Eff it; I'll follow a sport England excels in. There's....um....cycling...nah...hmm...cheese rolling...?"

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket needs at least 10 strong nations playing tests. If there are not even 10 countries playing the sport at the highest level after more than 100 years of the sport, it doesn't reflect well.

chris.hinton

International Captain
A strong England is good for the game. We are getting stronger, got exciting youngsters coming through too

number11

State 12th Man
Cricket needs at least 10 strong nations playing tests. If there are not even 10 countries playing the sport at the highest level after more than 100 years of the sport, it doesn't reflect well.
Top 8 is enough. Don't need or care for the minnow nations.