• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I mentioned this in a post earlier but it went un noticed

What do you think about that bit where, soon after ball went past Bairstow, he looks back and gingerly marks the crease with his back foot. Does that mean he marked the crease? Couldn't be bothered to research it
Means nothing. Ball was still live. You leave the crease while the ball is still live you can be out.

Blenkinsop

U19 Cricketer
Incidentally although it was later recorded as a stumping the Bairstow dismissal was initially referred to the third umpire as a run out. Did he say "No it's not a run out but technically it's actually a stumping" or was that a later correction?

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
As for the “withdraw the appeal” suggestions, any captain who withdrew a legitimate appeal for almost any reason in a live series would 100% go down as the worst Ashes captain in history.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Means nothing. Ball was still live. You leave the crease while the ball is still live you can be out.
I didn't realise the ball was still live if either side considered it to be so - I always assumed it was down to the umpires, which would seem a more logical option.

loterry1994

International Debutant
Both decisions were correct by the letter of the law. The discussion should be around whether the law is correct or not.
I don’t like the law of it in both cases to honest. Thought starcs one was a catch yeah it did grass it in the end but guy caught it standing, had the ball in his hand when he dropped down and never let go of it and it slid across the grass how much more control do you want, guy held the ball like 5 seconds

The Bairstow one thought it was a bit ridiculous as well. People always step out to talk to their batting partner straight away after the balls bowled quite quickly. I guess most keepers just don’t throw the ball

Gob

International Coach
Those idiots who were heckling the team in the long rooms should be ban for life. I have no issue with crowd abuse from the stands but these ****s can make direct contact with the players and apparently few of them did. Disgraceful sooks

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If Green had been bowling spin with the keeper up and the Bairstow did exactly the same thing people would have just called him an idiot and moved on. You do even see keepers quite regularly delay taking the bails off waiting for the foot to lift.

This wasn't just "overbalancing" - Prior decides it's dead and starts going for a walk.

They called him lazy, had a chuckle about it and moved on.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

This wasn't just "overbalancing" - Prior decides it's dead and starts going for a walk.

Apparently the big difference is it was a pace bowler and not a spin bowler. Plus they need a scapegoat so they don’t focus on the actual reasons they lost the game.

Woodster

International Captain
No one can disagree with the fact Bairstow was out, if Australia want to appeal (and not withdraw) the umpires can’t do anything other than give it out. It comes down to the spirit of the game, it just didn’t feel right at the time and it doesn’t get any better hours later.

If a batsman is trying to seek an advantage in any way, then it’s fair game. Just like with a stumping or when the keeper’s stood back and the batsman’s a yard out of his crease and the keeper tries throwing the stumps down, fair enough. Even Mankading, is down to the batsman trying to gain an advantage.

The ball in this case was supposedly still live until all and sundry have decided otherwise. Whole Broad’s actions thereafter were exaggerated for effect, is that what it takes before you can leave your crease now? There was no advantage trying to be gained by Bairstow, that’s why it doesn’t feel right and I think on reflection Cummins should have retracted the appeal. Maybe that’s because I’m English.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Wait you really got "Prior decides it's dead and starts going for a walk" from that video? Or did you just post the wrong thing

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I don’t like the law of it in both cases to honest. Thought starcs one was a catch yeah it did grass it in the end but guy caught it standing, had the ball in his hand when he dropped down and never let go of it and it slid across the grass how much more control do you want, guy held the ball like 5 seconds

The Bairstow one thought it was a bit ridiculous as well. People always step out to talk to their batting partner straight away after the balls bowled quite quickly. I guess most keepers just don’t throw the ball
Starc needed to ground the ball to ensure he didn't drop the ball. Clearly not out.

Bairstow left his ground while the ball was still live. Clearly out. Both cases are pretty black and white.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Those idiots who were heckling the team in the long rooms should be ban for life. I have no issue with crowd abuse from the stands but these ****s can make direct contact with the players and apparently few of them did. Disgraceful sooks
If there was any contact then that's not acceptable and in a perfect world there shouldn't be any comments which there clearly were.

It was pretty unedifying stuff with players squaring up to MCC members and stewards having to keep them apart.

Spark

Global Moderator
I mean the reason it feels weird is because he hardly ever see it. The novelty is what makes it so odd. I personally don't love it either but I don't see how you can remove it from the game.

I certainly don't like the English media trying to bully Cummins into saying he should have withdrawn the appeal. They can do one.

chunksafc

U19 12th Man
After 2 tests, surely now the England team realise there is a time and place for "bazball"?

It can't continue to be head down, attacking shots all the time? There has to be balance if we (England) have plans to do more more than just entertain?

Neil Young

State Vice-Captain
I mean the reason it feels weird is because he hardly ever see it. The novelty is what makes it so odd. I personally don't love it either but I don't see how you can remove it from the game.
There is no obvious law you could change to mitigate this happening. You'd basically be outlawing stumping. But as someone said above, Bairstow wasn't trying to gain an advantage here so for me, while it's great opportunism from Carey, it's poor form from Australia.

Spark

Global Moderator
There is no obvious law you could change to mitigate this happening. You'd basically be outlawing stumping. But as someone said above, Barstow wasn't trying to gain an advantage here so for me while it's great opportunism from Carey, it's poor form from Australia.
I just think the "trying to gain an advantage" line is a completely non sequitur tbh. I just don't think it's relevant at all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

I certainly don't like the English media trying to bully Cummins into saying he should have withdrawn the appeal. They can do one.
He would have copped a lot more from the Australian media if he did withdraw it and then they lost. Probably would've had Dutton calling for him to resign and then CA banning him for six months, etc etc.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
No one can disagree with the fact Bairstow was out, if Australia want to appeal (and not withdraw) the umpires can’t do anything other than give it out. It comes down to the spirit of the game, it just didn’t feel right at the time and it doesn’t get any better hours later.

If a batsman is trying to seek an advantage in any way, then it’s fair game. Just like with a stumping or when the keeper’s stood back and the batsman’s a yard out of his crease and the keeper tries throwing the stumps down, fair enough. Even Mankading, is down to the batsman trying to gain an advantage.

The ball in this case was supposedly still live until all and sundry have decided otherwise. Whole Broad’s actions thereafter were exaggerated for effect, is that what it takes before you can leave your crease now? There was no advantage trying to be gained by Bairstow, that’s why it doesn’t feel right and I think on reflection Cummins should have retracted the appeal. Maybe that’s because I’m English.
Yeah but in this case it wasn’t Carey even holding back like in that Foakes video or even to an extent the Prior video. Carey literally throws the ball straight after he catches it. Bairstow isn’t expecting a stumping off a fast bowler and walks out of his crease, thats all there is to it.