• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsman Besides Bradman (inactive players only)

Who is the BBBB (Best Batsman Besides Bradman)?

• Herbert Sutcliffe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wally Hammond

• George Headley

• Everton Weekes

• Neil Harvey

• Peter May

• Ken Barrington

• Greg Chappell

• Javed Miandad

• Kumar Sangakkara

• Victor Trumper

• Clyde Walcott

• Frank Worrell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
It's between Hobbs, Sobers and Tendulkar.

CW over the years has convinced me that Viv Richards is not in the race.

subshakerz

International Coach
It's between Hobbs, Sobers and Tendulkar.

CW over the years has convinced me that Viv Richards is not in the race.
Another shortsighted opinion on this board influenced by a cursory reading of averages. Viv was to his era what Sobers and Smith were to theirs, the absolute top gun.

Just give them a few more years and they will have Kallis in the top ten ever.

the big bambino

International Captain
You started the personal insults mate, not me. And all because I was arguing against your favorite old cricketer online. So you might want to visit that pharmacist first.
It be for Panadol after reading your excruciating posts.

Just out of curiosity how did you know Richards is my favourite cricketer?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Sure, I agree, as Smith plays longer, this will be less of an issue.

As it stands, there is a notable imbalance in his record in favor of benefitting from the flat era.
Honestly, less than 3 points difference in average is not a huge benefit he's getting from the flat pitch era. That can even be down to normal noise. Also, I do not consider 2017 to be a flat pitch year, as average Runs / wicket were already down to the historical mean of 32.

In that case, he benefited not at all from the flat pitch era:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Another shortsighted opinion on this board influenced by a cursory reading of averages. Viv was to his era what Sobers and Smith were to theirs, the absolute top gun.

I don't know about ever, but easily top 10 of the greater modern era ( 1970 - ) . His era adjusted run scoring is no less impressive than Tendulkar's. Tendulkar just did it for a little bit longer.

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Gary Sobers
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Viv Richards
6. Graeme Pollock
7. Len Hutton
8. Jack Hobbs
9. George Headley
10. Wally Hammond
11. Ranjit Singhji
12. Victor Trumper
13. Barry Richards

Excluded - Steve Smith and W.G "Arguably better than Bradman " Grace

These are the Only 15 candidates IMO.

shortpitched713

International Captain
1. Sunil Gavaskar
2. Gary Sobers
3. Sachin Tendulkar
4. Brian Lara
5. Viv Richards
6. Graeme Pollock
7. Len Hutton
8. Jack Hobbs
9. George Headley
10. Wally Hammond
11. Ranjit Singhji
12. Victor Trumper
13. Barry Richards

Excluded - Steve Smith and W.G "Arguably better than Bradman " Grace

These are the Only 15 candidates IMO.
How about Arthur Shrewsbury though??

shortpitched713

International Captain
He was clearly behind WG.
Otherwise as good as anyone in the list.. So, he too deserve a place in the list.. I think.
Ok. Good to know. Unfortunately I can't add more poll options now, but thanks for the inputs. Especially, as it gave me an opportunity to read more into Ranjitsinjhi. Who was an absolutely fascinating figure.

shortpitched713

International Captain
For me

Viv
Gavaskar
Chappell
Border
Lara
Tendulkar
Ponting
Sanga
Smith
Waugh

All ahead of Kallis.
Disagree with a bunch of Australians on the list as being better than Kallis. But anyway, don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Also, where is Miandad and Dravid? :p

Last edited:

subshakerz

International Coach
Disagree with a bunch of Australians on the list as being better than Kallis. But anyway, don't want to go down that rabbit hole. Also, where is Miandad and Dravid? :p
Kallis was definitely better than Border and Waugh.
Border and Waugh were champs at times when bowling standards were super high. Notably better than Kallis.

Kallis and Dravid is a toss up. Kallis is better than Miandad.

Posters here are fond of giving Kallis a reputation he never had when he played.

shortpitched713

International Captain
A reputation as a rock, and the lynchpin of a SA batting side? The key batting piece in a side that had as their main achilles (besides for quality spinner), middle order batting depth?

I dunno, I think the opposite is the case, and people far overstate the shortcomings of a career in which he was scoring a **** load of runs, in the most reliable possible manner, as his team asked him to do. During his career he was always talked about and considered as a great. Must have been due to his bowling, eh?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Heh, pretty much how I have posted about Viv Richards in past. I have just put him below Sobers, Tendulkar, Hobbs tier. He might just be the next one after them in stack rank. I haven't put him below Weekes or Sangakkara.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
A reputation as a rock, and the lynchpin of a SA batting side? The key batting piece in a side that had as their main achilles (besides for quality spinner), middle order batting depth?

I dunno, I think the opposite is the case, and people far overstate the shortcomings of a career in which he was scoring a **** load of runs, in the most reliable possible manner, as his team asked him to do. During his career he was always talked about and considered as a great. Must have been due to his bowling, eh?
Surely no one argues he isn’t a great - just that he’s not in contention for best after Bradman.