• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Stumped!

ataraxia

International Coach
Right so since I was pipped to the task by Jarquis :), I'll instead send down a few thoughts:

Without actually analysing BD's strengths and weaknesses I reckon a NAT squad makeup should be 7 batters, 2 keepers, 3 quicks, 3 spinners, 3 mediums (bowling types include all-rounders). This allows for a lot of variation for bowlers on different pitches, which I feel is really really important.

It's time for Zakir Adeel, no? A better all-round option now than Li or Ghani IMO – I'm actually really not sold on either of those two as NAT SOD prospects yet I'm afraid, for a couple seasons. Looks a quality bowler, if a bit iffy on flat dry pitches, and at a pinch a #7. Experience is very important that far down the order, but the Finisher trait should mostly balance that out. His experience isn't horrible anyhow.

By now Arshad Pasha should be an absolute gun. Him + Baloch is a pretty good spin attack, and on dry tracks it might just be a good idea to bring Lester in also (would Shum or Li be a better bet in the squad?). Don't know Mirza Uzair's stats atm but it looks like his NAT career is likely finished.

No batters over 44 skill. Looks like a tough, flat selection to make.

cnerd123

likes this
Thank you so much @Jarquis and @ataraxia . Legends.

Is it possible to hide those in the spreadsheet that are non-BD players? Or those that have been removed from the shortlist?
Yes. What I do is I delete the 'Current Age' value for those not seriously in consideration, and then just filter out all the rows with blank entries in that column. I think it's worth keeping them in the database for reference - why delete data - but that's how I go about hiding them.

Right so since I was pipped to the task by Jarquis :), I'll instead send down a few thoughts:

Without actually analysing BD's strengths and weaknesses I reckon a NAT squad makeup should be 7 batters, 2 keepers, 3 quicks, 3 spinners, 3 mediums (bowling types include all-rounders). This allows for a lot of variation for bowlers on different pitches, which I feel is really really important.

It's time for Zakir Adeel, no? A better all-round option now than Li or Ghani IMO – I'm actually really not sold on either of those two as NAT SOD prospects yet I'm afraid, for a couple seasons. Looks a quality bowler, if a bit iffy on flat dry pitches, and at a pinch a #7. Experience is very important that far down the order, but the Finisher trait should mostly balance that out. His experience isn't horrible anyhow.

By now Arshad Pasha should be an absolute gun. Him + Baloch is a pretty good spin attack, and on dry tracks it might just be a good idea to bring Lester in also (would Shum or Li be a better bet in the squad?). Don't know Mirza Uzair's stats atm but it looks like his NAT career is likely finished.

No batters over 44 skill. Looks like a tough, flat selection to make.
Yea I have more or less the same thoughts regarding squad composition, except I lump the seamers all together. It's only Khattak and Riaz who are the genuine Medium pace options as it is.

Yea I want to get Zakir in. He already made his debut in the T20I friendlies last season, he's a big part of our plans. I am just concerned about maintaining his fitness, so that's where guys like Ghani / Andy / Pasha come in.

Lester Shum is in consideration. Nasir Qasim is a good backup spin option too. But if we are going in with 3 spinners then Andy can bat + bowl in the death, so worth keeping him around.

Batting wise we just got to go for role players. A couple of high SS/Def/Stam guys up top, some well rounded experienced/in form bats for the middle, and a couple of aggressive finishers. We got plenty of keepers who could play as a batter - just like the real BD side!

ataraxia

International Coach
I think bowling-wise on a green pitch 5 seamers is necessary (Ghani is actually a pretty good option in that sort of situation I guess) (token spinners aren't a good idea IMO but yeah that comes from a BQ perspective), whereas on a dry one your best bowling attack is Zakir / Jamil / Pasha / Baloch / Lester. To make that happen and leave room for condition replacement is pretty tough though.

Also, Jarquis did all the work! I'm just here brainstorming.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I think bowling-wise on a green pitch 5 seamers is necessary (Ghani is actually a pretty good option in that sort of situation I guess) (token spinners aren't a good idea IMO but yeah that comes from a BQ perspective), whereas on a dry one your best bowling attack is Zakir / Jamil / Pasha / Baloch / Lester. To make that happen and leave room for condition replacement is pretty tough though.

Also, Jarquis did all the work! I'm just here brainstorming.
#BQrealyDoesNotMatter!!...

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Captain Peter Sutherland’s pugnacious and unbeaten 92(75) helped GG CC to a total of 241 against the TMOs…but the second half of the game saw some spirited owning from their bowlers, which enabled the TMOs to lose their first match of the league!

I have slim hopes for GG CC to make it to the top six.

ataraxia

International Coach
Poor @Jarquis. They'll get their chances soon enough, hopefully. Feeling the same with Ludlow over here! Khattak actually has a damn great skillset for his OD role IMO, he'll get plenty of caps later on, if perhaps not many in a row! Also looks like Daniel Bennett's developed extraordinarily well. Assuming he hasn't had super training, being 40/41 skill at 23 as a late bloomer – he'll surely not dip below that for 7 seasons!

9.51% of Richard Simmonds' career runs are against TMO – can he add significantly to that in this CWC game? We've bolstered our bowling with former Indian cap and Velociraptor, LFS bowling all-rounder Prabhjeet Ram. I do believe he's the first player of Indian origin to have played for AX, somewhat surprisingly!

FHK squeak ahead of AXI in the WRs. Been a pretty poor T20 season (ffs guys? you're meant to be good at this?) so hopefully Ram can haul us back into 5th.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
TMO get to 275 probably just below par for the Arboreal ground. Davidson getting another decent innings, but truly struggling with his touch. See how the bowling goes. Lots of eyes on Jupp to get an early breakthrough or two...