• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs South Africa -2022/3

Heboric

International Debutant
I was watching a clip on YouTube of todays play (obviously with sound way down to save my ears). but I swear I was hearing the docile tones of Ian Smith. What he doing there ?

halba

International 12th Man
3 changes for SCG.

lance morris given SCG debut: New years test. Hope the wicket is a bit more in it than MCG.

Boland set to be rested after likely a long stint in 2nd test(flat wicket) , Hazlewood will return on home turf.

If its a spinning deck- Swepson will likely play - been a long time since a leg spinner has bowled at the SCG. If its a seaming track- Neser or Hardie will play in place of Green.

Australia poised to unleash ‘Wild Thing’ in Sydney
'Under paywall' The australian

Last edited:

Bahseph

State Captain
Just took a look at Elgar's record since becoming captain fulltime and it's really pathetic to be fair. He got the post through seniority but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the pressure that comes with it on a regular basis.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Someone on cricketweb years from now will give him extra points for being from SA where batting is harder
To be fair, I think he genuinely does deserve extra points for being quite good in home conditions where many players struggle.

But those extra points bring his total rating up to [not many points].

halba

International 12th Man
Just took a look at Elgar's record since becoming captain fulltime and it's really pathetic to be fair. He got the post through seniority but he doesn't seem to be able to handle the pressure that comes with it on a regular basis.
hes really poor. career average of only 38 for a veteran.

Bahseph

State Captain
No I think he has performed around his talent level in Tests. I never viewed him as a 50-ish averaging batsman,but us SA fans hoped he could bump up that average to about 45-ish over the last few years. He hasn't. Still been a useful servant to the Proteas but he has always been supporting cast and never the main actor :happy:

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
There just aren't many openers consistently hitting 40+ who aren't flat track bullies at home. Elgar bats in pretty challenging conditions at home and still averages mid 40s there. His away record is reasonable (are there any openers going above 30 away?) too. He's a decent enough opener in an era of few good ones.