• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia vs West Indies - Frank Worrell Trophy 2022

Socerer 01

International Captain
Classic gibberish post of how everything was better in the past but particularly lol at the bolded bit

And there is no era where Smith averages less than 50 lol
cricket is the only team sport where every player in the past was so much superior to the current ones and the current ones all suck despite that making no logical sense with few exceptions due to external factors according to these fans who pine on nostalgia. almost the same as the entitled pc gamer who thinks gaming was at it’s peak in his day and now everything sucks because he was young and free to play back then and now has a job and family to fend for

The_CricketUmpire

U19 Vice-Captain
I've gone on the record saying that Mark Waugh wasn't anything special compared to a lot of the bench strength and I stand by that. Great ODI player though. I also think MWaugh was a slightly different period (as was Bevan in Tests). He played mostly in the 90s and it was from about 2000 onward that the Aus domestic batsmen really got a lot better. Add that to the softening in batting conditions in the 00s and thinking that the likes of Love & Hodge would average under 45 would be a very brave call.

The Bevan short-ball "problem" is rubbish and always has been, I would be happy to accept it if there were any veracity in it

Anyway I can accept that you have your opinion, but I don't really respect it because it sucks, you weren't around to experience any of it and your basing it completely on assumptions
I agree - the "Bevan struggled with the short ball" is the easy way out when assessing him. His short career at Test level included:

243 runs @ 60.75 against Pak incl 3 50s
255 runs @ 55.00 against WI incl 3 50s

Those bowlers would of barraged him with short balls - Akram, Younis, Walsh, Ambrose, Bishop.

Plus he would of faced short pitched bowling at Sheffield Shield level too. The reason why he didn't play more Tests for Australia is because of the strong era he played in and maybe he wasn't quite good enough at the time to get a regular game but to simply say "he struggled with short pitch bowling" is short sighted.

He clearly gets a game in the current Test side now days.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Lance Morris and neser have both been added to the test squad as cover incase Cummins isn't fit. Happy to see Morris amongst it, he's unlikely to get a consistent run in the BBL, reckon time with the national team will be huge for him.

WTC points are still on the line, but I still wouldn't mind us resting the big 3 and playing. Neser-Boland-Morris-Lyon-Green as our frontline attack. Starc-cummins-haze have been playing cricket basically nonstop since August including a WC, and were 100% gonna need them fit with an SA series than an india-england 10 match test tour winter into a WC.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
Morris getting picked here seems to me more a case of wanting to give him experience around the squad, I doubt he is a particularly realistic chance of playing at this point in time. Think he highly likely will play Test cricket in the longer term future though

I certainly don't agree with the notion of changing the whole pace attack at once, Test cricket is for trying to win games, not trying something different for the sake of it

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Morris getting picked here seems to me more a case of wanting to give him experience around the squad, I doubt he is a particularly realistic chance of playing at this point in time. Think he highly likely will play Test cricket in the longer term future though

I certainly don't agree with the notion of changing the whole pace attack at once, Test cricket is for trying to win games, not trying something different for the sake of it
I'm not saying change it for the sake of something different though, i'm saying change it because we have 13 tests, a world cup and god knows how many other random jamODI series in the next 12 months, and cummins has just pulled up injured. Think where better off giving them rest for this 2nd test vs the windies and keeping them fit giving whats coming next.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Resting the bowlers after 1 Test is not a sensible course of action, even if they have been playing a lot of white-ball cricket. Test matches are not (or should not be) for resting players. It's only the second game of the season too. Rest them from the white-ball **** if needed

If the second Test is a D/N test which I think it is then Neser obviously should play if needed, but if it were a Melbourne or Sydney test I wouldn't have minded seeing Lance Morris get a run even if it is probably a bit too soon.

Assuming Jhye is injured again?

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Resting the bowlers after 1 Test is not a sensible course of action, even if they have been playing a lot of white-ball cricket. Test matches are not (or should not be) for resting players. It's only the second game of the season too. Rest them from the white-ball **** if needed

If the second Test is a D/N test which I think it is then Neser obviously should play if needed, but if it were a Melbourne or Sydney test I wouldn't have minded seeing Lance Morris get a run even if it is probably a bit too soon.

Assuming Jhye is injured again?
He's got a ****ed heel atm, unsure of the extent of the injury but it kept him out of wa's most recent shield fixture.

GoodAreasShane

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not saying change it for the sake of something different though, i'm saying change it because we have 13 tests, a world cup and god knows how many other random jamODI series in the next 12 months, and cummins has just pulled up injured. Think where better off giving them rest for this 2nd test vs the windies and keeping them fit giving whats coming next.
I am not saying players shouldn't ever be rested, but resting the entire frontline pace attack in the same Test is an utterly insane idea

If the team are to employ a rotational policy, and there is a strong argument for that considering the amount of cricket to be played as you said, then it would need to be done in a staggered fashion, not all at once

TheJediBrah

I am not saying players shouldn't ever be rested, but resting the entire frontline pace attack in the same Test is an utterly insane idea

If the team are to employ a rotational policy, and there is a strong argument for that considering the amount of cricket to be played as you said, then it would need to be done in a staggered fashion, not all at once
Also remember Josh Hazlewood, one of the best Test bowlers in the world, was out of the team for most of the winter tours. Then he comes back in for 1 game and people want to rest him????

tony p

First Class Debutant
I think one of the issues the Windies have is that Holder seems to be a bit off the pace.
I'm not sure what his record is in the past 18 months-2 years is, but he feels to me with bat & ball that he is worn out by the poor support he has had.
Just looks at times that he hasn't the fight he once had, I don't know if any one agrees with me.
Have always enjoyed him as a player.

halba

International 12th Man
morris deserves to be picked. hes the most in form bowler in shield. boland can also play in place of haze who did absolutely nothing with the ball in the 1st test. Haze is getting too old imo, in his early 30s now which isnt prime.

Morris, 24, has had an outstanding Sheffield Shield season where he is the leading wicket-taker with 27 and 18.40. He almost bowled WA to a remarkable victory at the Gabba on Sunday. 150kph and in form. those bowlers must be picked when they are available, they are rare, as mostly they are injury prone - see Jhye (out injured again) or Pattinson(now retired) previously. And NZ's Jamieson also injured and Shane bond's career mostly injury prone before he retired, but all had a lot of impact.

TheJediBrah

Morris right now is actually very reminiscent of Brett Lee when he was picked in 1999, would be a bold selection but could be fun

pomnotenglish

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
@Beamer - How is this Mindley kid? Would you have any idea?
His FC stats seem decent but numbers reveal only so much. CI says he is "fast-medium". Any genuine fast bowlers worth noting in the Caribbean now?

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
@Beamer - How is this Mindley kid? Would you have any idea?
His FC stats seem decent but numbers reveal only so much. CI says he is "fast-medium". Any genuine fast bowlers worth noting in the Caribbean now?
He is a swing and seam bowler, 80-85mph range. He is the sort of seamer who would take ridiculous amounts of wickets in County Cricket, for example, but I'm really not sure he is suited to Australian wickets and a kookaburra ball that stops swinging fairly quickly.

The seam bowling cupboard is pretty good tbh, we have lots of decent options, especially at home. Not much express pace outside of Gabriel and Joseph though. Since moving to the Dukes ball we have seen a proliferation of 80-88mph seam and swing bowlers succeeding but no so much express pace.

We do have two youth bowlers who are 90mph plus already in Isaiah Thorne and Kelvin Pitman, but I feel they are a fair way off senior action.

WICFan

U19 Captain
I think one of the issues the Windies have is that Holder seems to be a bit off the pace.
I'm not sure what his record is in the past 18 months-2 years is, but he feels to me with bat & ball that he is worn out by the poor support he has had.
Just looks at times that he hasn't the fight he once had, I don't know if any one agrees with me.
Have always enjoyed him as a player.
Yeah, he's been struggling with the bat for a while now. 3 scores over 50 since that double against England in 2019. I'd have JDS batting at 6.

I'd like to say he's also a bit undercooked in this format, he hasn't played much fc cricket this past while and the Windies do struggle with the kookaburra.