• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb selects the ATG ODI XI

subshakerz

International Coach
In terms of complementing Tendulkar, I think Warner would be a great choice. Doesn't get bogged down like Rohit at the start and keeps rotating the strike. Great in WCs too so he shouldn't suck against quality bowlers. If Amla had at least been passable in WCs, this spot would've definitely been his in my eyes. QdK disqualified for sucking in WCs also, Greenidge too slow, Jayasuriya, Anwar, M Waugh and Gilchrist meh against great attacks (SA/Aus/Pak) IMO, Tendulkar seems like the most suited to going ham against great bowlers. I would rather have two guys who keep things ticking in this scenario than one guy who is expected to bat long and one guy who is expected to go hard from ball one since all the bashers really underwhelm against quality bowlers. Bit left field but I'd have Dilshan after Lara and Warner.
Lara as opener averaged 44 against Australia, 53 against Pakistan and 62 against SA, mostly in the early nineties. SR a bit slow though.

Rohit has the best record in WCs but the worst record in knockouts tho.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara as opener averaged 44 against Australia, 53 against Pakistan and 62 against SA, mostly in the early nineties. SR a bit slow though.
Yes I know, which is why he's the most reassuring pick. I was evaluating the other options. I would say Bairstow is one or two good tournaments away from being a serious contender along with Warner and Rohit from the current era.

Gob

International Coach
If I can pick players from a specific time, I'd personally have Hayden from 07 opening. Never seen anyone being so aggressive and dominant without ever look like getting out

His overall stats don't warrant a selection though

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
As much as I want to vote for Hadlee (my algo XI does select him instead of Akram), I have to give it to Akram for sustained quality and for being basically the benchmark for pace bowling in ODIs. What a sight he was with new ball and old.

subshakerz

International Coach
I am going to jump ahead and select Akram given the 8-0 vote in his favor.

1. Lara
2. Tendulkar
3. Viv
4. Kohli
5. ABD
6. Dhoni
8. Akram
9. Garner
10. McGrath
11. Murali

Let us now vote for the final position no.7 in the lineup. This should be interesting.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Same argument works for Jayasuriya (or Watson) to partner Sachin.

Lara is pretty top tier though.
I did entertain Jaya and Watson in past. Have posted all time XIs before where Watson was my chosen opener. But I have since decided that they are not good enough as 5th bowlers. And I don't believe in 6 bowling options.

subshakerz

International Coach
If I can pick players from a specific time, I'd personally have Hayden from 07 opening. Never seen anyone being so aggressive and dominant without ever look like getting out

His overall stats don't warrant a selection though
Him and Gilly, best opening pair ever.

subshakerz

International Coach
I did entertain Jaya and Watson in past. Have posted all time XIs before where Watson was my chosen opener. But I have since decided that they are not good enough as 5th bowlers. And I don't believe in 6 bowling options.
For fantasy cricket is fine. In a real game tho, an injury to any one of the bowlers will mean Sachin or Viv have to complete their quota.

OverratedSanity

I'll actually go for Kapil here though he's overrated in odis a bit on here. Reckon that lower order needs some more hitting ability and would provide more dynamism to the lineup.

trundler

Who the **** is O'Donnell even? Lighter version of Ian Harvey?
Simon O'Donnell. '87 WC hero, pioneer of slower balls at the death and the original bits and pieces utility cricketer. Chris Harris but not terrible I suppose.