• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What are the odds that Babar, Shaheen and Rizwan enter the Pakistan ATG Test XI by the end of their careers?

ZK$

U19 Cricketer
Babar's Test career has not been that great as yet. It actually took him a whole to be useful - he was (rightly) continued to be picked on hope for ages - and he's one of the best in the world now but it's been a short period in reality. I think when we go back and look upon it all it'll seem like he should have achieved more.

He's 28 which means his absolute best years could be ahead of him, but unless he plays until his late 30s and does not decline much I reckon Inzi will hold out as having a better career.

I have lots of faith in him to be gun for the next 2-3 years, I just don't think it'll give him over the line if he tanks afterwards.
Yeah, you’re right. I didn’t realize he was already 28. He’s been averaging close to 60 since the start of the 2018, but he does need to do it for a lot longer.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Bobby and Shaheen will struggle to make it. Rizwan is a yes but thats mostly because the competition isnt the strongest.

Still very early to say as sample size is small but just get a feeling Abdullah Shafiq may sneak in as an one of the openers.

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah, you’re right. I didn’t realize he was already 28. He’s been averaging close to 60 since the start of the 2018, but he does need to do it for a lot longer.
If Babar ends up averaging 52 in 80 tests by the end, will he overtake Inzi?

subshakerz

International Coach
Bobby and Shaheen will struggle to make it. Rizwan is a yes but thats mostly because the competition isnt the strongest.

Still very early to say as sample size is small but just get a feeling Abdullah Shafiq may sneak in as an one of the openers.
I dont think Shaheen will overtake Wasim, Waqar but I think he will solidly establish himself as Pakistan's fourth best pacer by the end because age is on his side. 250 wickets @25/26 should get him there and he hasnt even peaked yet.

Babar has the biggest mountain to climb.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I dont think Shaheen will overtake Wasim, Waqar but I think he will solidly establish himself as Pakistan's fourth best pacer by the end because age is on his side. 250 wickets @25/26 should get him there and he hasnt even peaked yet.

Babar has the biggest mountain to climb.
That was my question - I edited my earlier post. I don’t think that puts him clearly over Shoaib given not that huge a difference in wickets, and similar average in a far more bowling friendly era. A lot of factors worked against Shoaib but he was very destructive for a decent amount of time.

Now 250-300 wickets at <24 or even lower and sure.

Also depends how often he plays some good teams.

Bitmap

State Regular
Shaheen with a near negligible chance IMO.
Rizwan almost a certainty.
With some more body of work, Babar should end up ahead of Inzamam.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think all 3 would make it. Babar only has to be better than Inzy/Younis and I think he will be. Shaheen has to be better than Waqar and I think he will be too. Rizwan should end up their best wk-bat easily as well across formats.

As a matter of fact, I think all 3 will make all 3 format Pak ATG sides.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I think all 3 would make it. Babar only has to be better than Inzy/Younis and I think he will be. Shaheen has to be better than Waqar and I think he will be too. Rizwan should end up their best wk-bat easily as well across formats.

As a matter of fact, I think all 3 will make all 3 format Pak ATG sides.
Shaheen is a massive call as of now. Everyone knows he has the time, but at the moment his record reads:
vs Aus: 5 tests, 14 wickets, 36.57
vs Eng: 3 tests, 5 wickets, 51.60
vs NZ: 3 tests, 9 wickets, 43.77

vs South Africa and Sri Lanka, he's done quite well, and he's pummeled Bangladesh, West Indies and Zimbabwe in the limited tests he's played against each.

Yes there were extenuating circumstances for some of the above in bold (too young, Covid year, flat pitches), but he's going to have to massively improve on that record to be anywhere close to displacing Shoaib Ahktar, nevermind Waqar.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Shaheen is a massive call as of now. Everyone knows he has the time, but at the moment his record reads:
vs Aus: 5 tests, 14 wickets, 36.57
vs Eng: 3 tests, 5 wickets, 51.60
vs NZ: 3 tests, 9 wickets, 43.77

vs South Africa and Sri Lanka, he's done quite well, and he's pummeled Bangladesh, West Indies and Zimbabwe in the limited tests he's played against each.

Yes there were extenuating circumstances for some of the above in bold (too young, Covid year, flat pitches), but he's going to have to massively improve on that record to be anywhere close to displacing Shoaib Ahktar, nevermind Waqar.
TBH I expect Naseem Shah to end up being better than Shaheen too. What I mean is, he does not have to do that much as one might first think casually. Waqar and Shoaib are the ones he has to beat and I think it is not as hard as it may seem.

subshakerz

International Coach
TBH I expect Naseem Shah to end up being better than Shaheen too. What I mean is, he does not have to do that much as one might first think casually. Waqar and Shoaib are the ones he has to beat and I think it is not as hard as it may seem.
I think Shaheen's ceiling is above Waqar but even if he doesn't go that far, 250 to 300 wickets itself would be enough of an achievement to overtake Akthar.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Wouldn't most people rate Waqar as somewhere in the top 20 pacers of all time (or thereabouts)? Don't think overcoming one of the top 20 pacers of all time is 'not as hard as it may seem'!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Wouldn't most people rate Waqar as somewhere in the top 20 pacers of all time (or thereabouts)? Don't think overcoming one of the top 20 pacers of all time is 'not as hard as it may seem'!
I am not sure but at least in tests, I definitely do not rate him that high.