• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Harmer vs Nathan Lyon

Harmer vs Lyon

• Harmer

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Lyon

Votes: 14 70.0%

• Total voters

kingkallis

International Coach
Lyon has a proven record. Harmer was not so cleverly utilised by the CSA or else he would have been a better bowler in all 3 formats.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Lyon and it's not even close. And I rate Harmer pretty highly.

My read has always been that, even though they're similar in having bounce as a main weapon, Harmer's is generated more from his height and his action height whereas Lyon's is generated more by overspin. That means Harmer can turn the ball more in terms of sidespin, but is lacking in the flight department. Meanwhile Lyon isn't as big a turned of the ball, but has a greater ability to use flight.

The extreme majority of the time at the elite level, you'll need to beat the batsman in the air, not with turn. If memory serves, there was some analysis from PEWS years ago along the lines of this point explaining why Lyon gets better the higher the level he plays.

On top of that, Harmer has a tendency to drop a little short and bowl a little straight. That often negates the benefits of gaining extra bounce, letting batsmen hang on the back foot and work to leg. It's exactly what happened at Taunton last season - Hildreth looked the most comfortable batsman and was predominantly playing back and leg-side, while all the other batsmen who insisted on pressing forward kept getting into trouble. But the plumb in front while playing back dismissal that gets Hildreth looks so much worse in a highlights package that a procession of batsmen 'getting a good one' that they nick to slip (but I digress).

Absolute credit to Harmer though, he knows his game extremely well and has both the skills and the cricketing IQ to absolutely tear through county teams and do well at the domestic level. He's a serious off-spin bowler. But I can't think of many (if any) situations at Test level where I'd rather have his style of off-spin bowling over Lyon's.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a fight to the death I think I’d back Lyon.

Lyon’s definitely weaker overall but has that inbred look in him. Might use his teeth, claw Harmer’s eyeballs out etc in a fight which makes him dangerous.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Lyon’s definitely weaker overall but has that inbred look in him. Might use his teeth, claw Harmer’s eyeballs out etc in a fight which makes him dangerous.
He will headbutt the line

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator

Restore the dignity* of spin bowling, let the spinners bite the batters once every over or so

cnerd123

likes this
Good bump

Harmer has improved during his CC stint, seems to have more control and variety now, while Lyon has regressed a bit into the Monty Panesar mold - bowling the same delivery 1000 times.

But they both have played in very different conditions lately. Should be good to watch if they come up against each other when SA tour Aus, tho Maharaj will probably be first choice for SA.