• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I think KP probably belongs in an all time England XI. Could take to Warne and McGrath unlike few others. Big time player.

Hutton
Hobbs
Hammond
Compton
Pietersen
Botham
Knott +
Larwood
Laker
Barnes
Trueman
Does he really? in terms of English middle order bats I’d have him below Hammond, Barrington, Compton and Root. And that’s before taking into account perhaps playing Hutton at 3 to grab all 3 great openers.
Also think Gooch is vastly underrated. Will never displace Hobbs/Hutton or Sutcliffe, but he had an amazing record against the WI and was great vs Warne.
I don’t think he’s underrated, its just that aren’t the top 4 English openers pretty sewn up and Gooch and Cook are languishing down in the 3rd XI, no?

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Herbert sutcliffe and boycott are making the 2nd xi.Imagine a bowler bowling to these two in a flat pitch especially or in any pitch.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eh I think I'd back Sachin to score more runs in Tests as an opener than Hayden. It's guesswork a little bit of course but I think it's worth the trade-off given you know you're going to get such an upgrade in ODIs.

Given he's very arguably the best cross-format batsman of all time I don't think I'd want to leave him out because he batted mostly in one position in one format and one in another.
Would have Gilly down the order in my side for the same reason

HookShot

U19 Vice-Captain
Hobbs
Sutcliffe
Hutton
Hammond
Barrington
Root
Knott+
Botham
Laker
Trueman
Barnes

This is assuming a prime Botham and Barnes being able to bowl similarly to Bedser.
Tony Greig would average more than Root if the hypothetical series Test series was played in Australia, West Indies, India, Pakistan or NZ. Basically any where except England. Plus you get a useful pacer, off-spinner, top-class slipper and much better captain :ph34r:

So Tony Greig at No.6

Last edited:

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Tony Greig would average more than Root if the hypothetical series Test series was played in Australia, West Indies, India, Pakistan or NZ. Basically any where except England. Plus you get a useful pacer, off-spinner, top-class slipper and much better captain :ph34r:

So Tony Greig at No.6
Root averages more in the WI, their averages are practically identical in India and Root hasn’t played in Pakistan. Also yeah I’ll take the NZ difference with a grain of salt considering Greig had all of one innings there his entire career and Root does have a double. entury there. Plus he averages almost 20 more than Greig at home, I’m taking Root.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Eh I think I'd back Sachin to score more runs in Tests as an opener than Hayden. It's guesswork a little bit of course but I think it's worth the trade-off given you know you're going to get such an upgrade in ODIs.

Given he's very arguably the best cross-format batsman of all time I don't think I'd want to leave him out because he batted mostly in one position in one format and one in another.
Agreed. If we are going that route and not so strict with that criteria, then I will absolutely have Sachin in the team, albeit with a minor change. We can have him bat at 4 across formats, since he has batted a lot at 4 as well in ODIs and with tests being the premier format.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
@Line and Length ,@The Sean,@Fuller Pilch
How will Australia’s all time xi go against a world xi in Australia?5 match series ?
Not my team ,sad omission of Bill O’Reilly in Australia’s all time team and some players in World xi but as per previous CW thread.
World xi:
Hobbs
Hutton
Lara
Tendulkar
Richards
Sobers
Knott(wk)
Imran(c)
Hadlee
Marshall
Murali
VS
Australia XI:
1 V Trumper
2 M Hayden/Ponting
3 D Bradman(c)
4.Steve smith
5 G Chappell
6 K Miller
7 A Gilchrist (wk)
8 R Lindwall
9 S Warne
10 D Lillee
11 G McGrath

Last edited:

PlayerComparisons

International Debutant
Roots average in New Zealand is low because literally his first complete international series was a 3 match series in NZ and he was still **** then. Since the beginning of 2014(so only excluding his first year when he was ****), these are Roots averages in each nation. Keep in mind that Greig only had a 5 year career compared to Roots 10 year career.

Australia: 39
England: 53
India: 48
New Zealand: 54
South Africa: 50
Sri Lanka: 65
UAE: 57
West Indies: 52

So basically the only real hole in his record is Australia, which is unfortunate because he’s made scores of 89 and 83 agaisnt Cummins and Hazlewood there and 87 against peak Johnson and Harris. Should really have 3 tons there.

Last edited:

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Joe Root vs any English middle order batsman not named Walter Hammond isn't a serious debate at this point.

Yeah, that includes Barrington and Compton. He's done enough.

harsh.ag

Haha what's this in reference to? Sounds like a great meme I've missed out on.
Aus XI should have Chappell and Ponting open the innings

GChappell
Ponting
Bradman
Smith
SWaugh (6)
Border (5) (c)
Gilchrist (wk)
Warne (4)
Cummins (3)
Lillee (1)
McGrath (2)

Time to say goodbye to Miller from the XI imo. Impossible side to beat, this one.
Such a selection is entirely without substance and is pure supposition. I can no longer take @harsh.ag 's posts with the respect I had in the past.

harsh.ag

A fun England XI

Hobbs
Hutton
Hammond
Compton
Root
Botham
Stokes
Flintoff
Knott
Trueman
Barnes

Three talismanic all rounders to create fireworks in any game.