• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best team since Waugh/ Ponting’s Australia?

Best team?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

sunilz

International Regular
Again, that home records doesnt cover up their weaknesses as a team, especially as a batting lineup. Can we talk about that please?
So winning doesn't matter anymore. Being better looking side on paper matters. Do you even believe what you write?

subshakerz

International Coach
When you play 2 Test series overseas how are you going to lose 4-1 ?

SA 2010 side couldn't win 1 test against full strength IND 2010 side.
In the 2 Test they won , Laxman didn't play the 1st one (IND), Zaheer didn't play the 2nd one(SA)
I mean, they won tests in India in 2008 and 2010.

Xix2565

International Debutant
Again, that home records doesnt cover up their weaknesses as a team, especially as a batting lineup. Can we talk about that please?
SA also had weaknesses then by that regard, considering their lack of success in India and failing at home vs Australia. Wonder what those weaknesses are, wish people would bring that up as well.

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
Except you have to offset that by the fact that they had an unbeaten 9-year away streak, which is something even the great Australian side didnt accomplish. You are not giving it its dues.
And which side is considered greater?

In cricket you have to win matches. That's it.

anil1405

International Captain
Except you have to offset that by the fact that they had an unbeaten 9-year away streak, which is something even the great Australian side didnt accomplish. You are not giving it its dues.
And you aren't giving enough dues to the fact that RSA lost two test series against Aus and drew one each against Aus, Eng and Ind at home. Almost all their series wins at home came against sides that did not give them enough competition and when they did Proteas failed to live up to the hype at home.

Spark

Global Moderator
I dunno... If u wanna dive down that rabbithole, then Aussies did not really win the 2007/08 BG series either. A certain level of objectivity actually helps in these discussions.
? I don't understand where you're going with this.

I'm not saying "don't talk about results", but context matters, a lot. The reason we weight certain results way higher than others is because of the strength of the opposition and the difficulty of the conditions. Clearly, contextual strength of opposition matters; so we should take stats which, by definition, completely erase such considerations with a massive grain of salt.

sunilz

International Regular
BG trophy was 1-1 draw in 01 Ashes series was 1-1 Draw in 05 if they were 2 Test series.

subshakerz

International Coach
I think the fundamental reason I dislike the W/L analysis stuff is it completely erases, you know, the actual games of cricket that were played and reduces everything to basically nametags. But India didn't beat "AUS", the disembodied nametag, they beat a cricket team, and the actual quality of the cricket team that was beaten and the actual quality of the cricketers involved does actually matter some. That's why everyone here agrees that 2020-21 was a more satisfying series win than 2018-19; the former was a far more impressive achievement because the opposition was stronger. Something raw W/L completely ignores.
Well I agree. The reason I am emphasizing looking at the actual teams rather than just W/L ratios is that you can compare their weaknesses and strengths as a side before making a judgment on who is better. Posters here are clearly just trying to narrow down on the stats criteria that suits India, which is home record, to prove that it is a better team. In fact, superior home record is the only argument they have.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well I agree. The reason I am emphasizing looking at the actual teams rather than just W/L ratios is that you can compare their weaknesses and strengths as a side before making a judgment on who is better. Posters here are clearly just trying to narrow down on the stats criteria that suits India, which is home record, to prove that it is a better team. In fact, superior home record is the only argument they have.
I think India currently does have a certain je ne sais quoi that makes them quite a bit greater than the sum of their parts, though. On paper they should have been blown away by Australia last year too, and they honestly should probably have lost in England. But they find a way to win, somehow, and that's an intangible quality that "on paper" lineups can't quite capture.

I will make it clear again though: that's principally because of Bumrah in particular and Siraj more recently, and so the analysis from 2015 posted a few posts ago is entirely irrelevant in my eyes. As far as I'm concerned, this current Indian team was born in 2018 when Bumrah became a permanent fixture of the team.

If there is a criticism of the SA side of that era, it's that they were the opposite: they were sometimes less than the some of their parts and the otherwise stellar batting often creaked when put under real pressure; it lacked firefighters and lower-order tenacity to dig them out of holes. Which is why Australia were consistently able to take games off them at home when really SA looked the much better team on paper. That was the era when "downhill skiier" was applied to Kallis and ABdV a lot.

anil1405

International Captain
It feels weird to rate a side that has been utterly dominant when they toured abroad but didn't have the killer instinct to fight against the sides that gave them stiff competition in home conditions.

subshakerz

International Coach
That 12-14 team was given a tough fight by a rookie India playing their first series away from home. Also lost to an Aus team at home which was whitewashed in Ind a year prior.
They nearly chased down 400 plus against that rookie India.

And we covered that Aus loss. That SA side was on the downswing.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A side more capable of winning in all conditions = a stronger side = Smith's South Africa.
Even accepting this criteria, can you point out in which conditions was Smith's SA significantly better? England/NZ I guess. Pretty much everywhere else it is at worst even . Do you think this is significant enough to override India's absurd record at home where they've won 26 and lost 2 in the last 7 years?

PaulLennon

U19 12th Man
I think India currently does have a certain je ne sais quoi that makes them quite a bit greater than the sum of their parts, though. On paper they should have been blown away by Australia last year too, and they honestly should probably have lost in England. But they find a way to win, somehow, and that's an intangible quality that "on paper" lineups can't quite capture
that je ne sais quoi is depth. While this India's first XI might not match up against ATG first XI sides, their first 30 is prolly one of the best in history. And considering that in the real world unlike hypothetical matchups, people have injuries etc depth matters. When McGrath got injured in both the 03-04 BGT and 05 Ashes the bowling looked a lot weaker.

BGT 20-21 Bumrah goes out - Siraj picks up the slack
Eng tour 21 Jadeja sits out - Axar picks up the slack
Oval test Shami sits out - Umesh picks up the slack
NZ test series half the team sits out - Saha, Iyer, Agarwal picks up the slack

So in a real world series against Smith et all or even the Aus and WI sides I would expect this Indian side to win matches away (against SA even a series) simply because injuries etc might occur. Home will be easy wins for Ind against all these teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.