• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Kapil, Vaas, or Streak? (Best bowler)

Best bowler: Kapil, Chaminda, or Heath?

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Right 3rd time lucky.

All 3 bowlers carried the seam bowling responsibilities for their countries. Who was the best? (Test match bowling only).

Flem274*

123/5
I have only seen Vaas' career properly, but highlights of the other two. I expected to be choosing Kapil but I think I will be taking Streak. All three are ATVG bowlers imo.

There's some really interesting results in here, because Vaas and Kapil both have big holes in surprising places. Not sure how Kapil was so bad away from home barring Australia and the WI for example.

I'm going to stick up for Streak here. It looks like he was a proper ATVG bowler across two eras - the everyone can bowl era and the everyone can bat era. He played for Zimbabwe during the batting gold rush and maintained his standards, and appears to be the most consistent of the three around the world.

Players who can perform against the grain of their era are inherently more valuable to their countries than players who are solidly good in gold rush eras for their chosen role. Streak played for mediocre at best side and was really good against the grain.

Chaminda Vaas was the same, but not quite as consistent as Streak. Kapil was good in an era where many were great. He lacked support, but so did Streak, and at least India can bowl good spin and usually sort of bat.

I'm giving this contest to Streak, though am open to changing my mind. He performed to the same level, probably slightly better, though all of these dudes are superb for being their nations first good 'un at pace bowling.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I can't choose (which is why I started the thread) but leaning towards Streak for many of the same reasons as Flem.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaas quite comfortably. Streak may have been better purely talent-wise but didn't play enough or high profile-enough cricket to really push his case.

Kapil a few levels lower purely as a bowler

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Chaminda Vaas was the same, but not quite as consistent as Streak. Kapil was good in an era where many were great. He lacked support, but so did Streak, and at least India can bowl good spin and usually sort of bat.
Might have to look up the timeline to confirm but Kapils career coincided with the biggest lull India have probably ever had in terms of producing quality spinners. Between the spin quartet and kumble we had **** all. The best spinner Kapil had in his team for any significant stretch of his career was probably Dilip Doshi I think?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Might have to look up the timeline to confirm but Kapils career coincided with the biggest lull India have probably ever had in terms of producing quality spinners. Between the spin quartet and kumble we had **** all. The best spinner Kapil had in his team for any significant stretch of his career was probably Dilip Doshi I think?
Yeah, and even that was only for a few years. He did overlap with Venkat too but that was at the end of his career where Venkat didn't play much and wasn't very effective when he did. Then you had Sivaramakrishnan who was blazingly good for about a month in the mid-80s. But that was about it.

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
I love how individually the 'spin quartet' is hyped asf, then when it comes to discussing kapil, all of a sudden 'nah bro kapil had no one boohoo"

The comedy is these fanboys crying about Kapil having no one at aid, when HEATH STREAK literally played for Zimbabwe and yet banged those incredible stats. Just look at the amount of wickets Heath has in his career compared to all zimbabwe bowlers combined. You'll realise how underrated heath is

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Between 1993 and 2005 - Streak took 22.6% of all wickets Zimbabwe took.
Between 1978 and 1994 - Kapil took 23.8% of all wickets India took.
These are just tests. Add odis too and you'll realise the difference

Ymaxxx

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why would anyone add ODIs in a test match comparison?
again excuses. This is about workload and who carried the team more. But because you know what the answer will be you will refuse to do it just to support your nations player