• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cataloguing the best innings of X runs in test history

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
21 runs A nondescript score but a memorable innings by Jeff Thomson. Joining Alan Border at the crease in the '82/'83 Ashes Boxing Day Test, Australia needed 73 runs for victory. Thommo lasted 62 balls before he fell to Ian Botham courtesy of a rebound catch (a drop by Chris Tavara) taken by Geoff Miller. Australia was just 3 runs short of victory

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
99 runs There have been many instances of batsmen falling 1 run short of their 'ton' in Test cricket. Some batsmen have even suffered this fate twice. However, has anyone other than Greg Blewett 'achieved' two in a calendar year? Blewett's first came in January 1997 against the West Indies when, in the Adelaide Test, he was bowled by Cameron Cuffy and then, in the 3rd Test against New Zealand in November of the same year, he was bowled by Simon Doull.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
99 runs There have been many instances of batsmen falling 1 run short of their 'ton' in Test cricket. Some batsmen have even suffered this fate twice. However, has anyone other than Greg Blewett 'achieved' two in a calendar year? Blewett's first came in January 1997 against the West Indies when, in the Adelaide Test, he was bowled by Cameron Cuffy and then, in the 3rd Test against New Zealand in November of the same year, he was bowled by Simon Doull.
Missed a chance to say "None other than Greg Blewett twice in a calendar year"

Victor Ian

International Coach
The best 99 was Sir Geoffrey in Australia in the late 70's. He carried his bat for 99 not out. When the last wicket fell he reacted as though someone had told him his cat had been run over.
That is great. Only better if the last man out threw away his wicket.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'd go for Alan Mullally in that Melbourne test where Dean Headley took 6-fer

Pretty sure he'd made like 4 ducks in the series so far so suddenly making that contribution in a match England went to to win by 12 runs was pretty good really.

Basically it's the only innings of 16 that immediately sprung into my head haha
that's super memorable for me, it was during the first ever series of cricket i watched(i must have brought this up 1000 times on this site)

i remember the Barmy Army were chanting his name and having never seen a tailender get runs before I remember being heaps invested