• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**"Official" **South Africa vs Pakistan : April 2021 ( white ball)

Spark

Global Moderator
You are talking about the fake out by QdK?
Yep. Clearly an attempt to distract and/or deceive the batsman which is illegal under the fake fielding law. 5 penalty runs and not out. Umpire's forgotten the law there.

edit: reading the actual law, it seems they would actually get given the not-completed 2 as well! So really it should have been seven runs, and the batsmen even get to pick who gets to be on strike (not that that would have mattered in this case). And the ball wouldn't have counted, so suddenly it would be 24 off 6!

Last edited:

slippy888

International Captain

Yep. Clearly an attempt to distract the batsman which is illegal under the fake fielding law. 5 penalty runs and not out. Umpire's forgotten the law there.

Well if you want to include that what about the ball hitting Bavuma hat that was 5 runs penalty also.

Socerer 01

International Captain
Yep. Clearly an attempt to distract and/or deceive the batsman which is illegal under the fake fielding law. 5 penalty runs and not out. Umpire's forgotten the law there.
And from his reaction to it, seemed to have been deliberate. Awful behavior.

Spark

Global Moderator
And from his reaction to it, seemed to have been deliberate. Awful behavior.
I mean "awful" is overegging it, but it's a bizarre miss from the umpires. Seems as obvious a case of where the fake fielding law should be applied as you can get, it's not like QdK was being subtle about his intent.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Thing is, QdK did say bowler bowler and it can be considered to be a shout out to the fielder, though obviously when he was pointing to the bowler after the throw had come in, it was definitely an attempt to deceive. I am guessing QdK had done enough to get away on a technicality of the original call there. I mean, I think he seeded enough doubt even though I do think it was clearly a deception play now.

At first I thoght he was genuinely calling the throw to be to the bowler. It was only on the replay I figured out he did that.

Well if you want to include that what about the ball hitting Bavuma hat that was 5 runs penalty also.
Does it apply to the hat? I thought it was only helmets?

Socerer 01

International Captain
I mean "awful" is overegging it, but it's a bizarre miss from the umpires. Seems as obvious a case of where the fake fielding law should be applied as you can get, it's not like QdK was being subtle about his intent.
Was not referring to the umpires with the awful remark. Had this happened to an English batsman half of county cricket's pros would be fighting the internet war next day

Spark

Global Moderator
Thing is, QdK did say bowler bowler and it can be considered to be a shout out to the fielder, though obviously when he was pointing to the bowler after the throw had come in, it was definitely an attempt to deceive. I am guessing QdK had done enough to get away on a technicality of the original call there. I mean, I think he seeded enough doubt even though I do think it was clearly a deception play now.

At first I thoght he was genuinely calling the throw to be to the bowler. It was only on the replay I figured out he did that.
Right, it's the fact that the ball had already been thrown which makes it really obvious that it's an attempt to deceive, and should have at least have been looked at.

Does it apply to the hat? I thought it was only helmets?
It's more that the hat wasn't placed on the ground deliberately beforehand, it just fell off his head while taking a catch. No one cares about that.