• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has odi cricket gone boring?

Jumno

State 12th Man
This is my own thoughts and some thoughts from watching YouTube videos.

I remember as a 90s kid if a team crossed 300, it felt like they scored 350. If a team very very rarely crossed 325 it felt like 395. Back in the 90s, even until 2010, teams hardly scored that much of a score.

We seen the 1999 world cup were even 220 was defended and scores of 250 was competitive and gripping to match. A score of 270 was winnable.

The 2019 world cup final, as well as the 1999 world cup SF epitomised the thrill, captivating-ness of odi cricket when there is balance between bat and ball. If New Zealand scored 260 in the WC Final, I felt so nervous because I know its too much in WC Final and I know in a wc final, anything could happen, what happens if England are 46-3 after 13?

1992 WC, 1996 WC, 2003, 2007 WC I was excited to watch but do not even watch odi cricket now. I still think of the SL vs SA 2003 wc game, that England vs Sri L game in the 2007 wc they needed 4 off the last ball. The drama of India having to chase 250 to get into the next round in 2007.

I loved those triangular odi tournaments even when any team played. The huge crowds such as the tourny's back in the day in Dhaka.

It seems like a borefest now.

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, I love triangular tournaments...there was one in 2006-07 in Australia in particular which I remember. A kiwi all rounder, who I can’t recall was playing like a god. He made an impressive 100 in one of the matches
Could be Jacob Oram coz Cairns was too at that time?

Flem274*

123/5
Yeah, I love triangular tournaments...there was one in 2006-07 in Australia in particular which I remember. A kiwi all rounder, who I can’t recall was playing like a god. He made an impressive 100 in one of the matches
Could be Jacob Oram coz Cairns was too at that time?
it was oram. he had a little golden period with the bat in odis where he was as good as he was in tests, before reverting back to meh 2 years later.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think part of it - for me anyway - is how infrequently teams are full strength. It's not really that we need sTaR pLaYeRs to make it exciting either, it's just hard to get invested in the result when the selectors clearly aren't. Team A minus their best three players beating Team B minus their best four players just doesn't seem to prove much. They're not giving us a reason to care which takes the edge off.

That's why I love ODIs between associates and the lower ranked Test teams. They don't get a lot of cricket so they pick full strength lineups.

In terms of the game itself I still enjoy it. I'd like to encourage groundsmen to prepare pitches that made them more like short Tests than long T20s though.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I’ll follow ODIs but I don’t think I’ve sat down and spent a day watching a full game since the WC.

Watched multiple T20s from start to finish on the other hand and enjoyed quite a lot of them.

Jumno

State 12th Man
You'll see the impact of 20-20 when T10 gets introduced in 7 years! Then T5 15 years down the line.

50 over cricket is beginning to fade which was quite captivating, especially odi tournaments and series deciders.

Test will remain, there has to be something to keep the balance. 20-20 is just about batting.

I remember the people who graced the game like Jayasuriya, De Silva, Murali, Donald, Pollock, McGrath, Warne, Waugh brothers, Ponting, Tendukar, Lara, Ambrose, Walsh, Wasim, Waqur, Anwar, Bevan, Klusenar, Steyn, Bond, Astle, Ganguly, Kallis.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think part of it - for me anyway - is how infrequently teams are full strength. It's not really that we need sTaR pLaYeRs to make it exciting either, it's just hard to get invested in the result when the selectors clearly aren't. Team A minus their best three players beating Team B minus their best four players just doesn't seem to prove much. They're not giving us a reason to care which takes the edge off.

That's why I love ODIs between associates and the lower ranked Test teams. They don't get a lot of cricket so they pick full strength lineups.

In terms of the game itself I still enjoy it. I'd like to encourage groundsmen to prepare pitches that made them more like short Tests than long T20s though.
well said

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I’ll follow ODIs but I don’t think I’ve sat down and spent a day watching a full game since the WC.

Watched multiple T20s from start to finish on the other hand and enjoyed quite a lot of them.
Yeah this is where I am at too.

cnerd123

likes this
I can barely pay attention to a T20, have always preferred ODIs. I like it when there is enough time for a match to breathe. Batsmen can get their eyes in properly, bowlers can find their rhythm, teams have time to adapt and respond to a poor start. Strategies and gameplans get enough time to unfold.

The thing that cheapens most white ball cricket series is, as PEWS said, that the teams themselves aren't really invested in the outcome. It's used as a platform to test new players and combinations ahead of a World Cup. So it's interesting in that regard, but you can then also just check the scorecards after. No real need to watch it.

sunilz

International Regular
General question:
Who prepares pitches for WC ? ICC or Home team ? Because I have read at many places that pitches were made flat after England's loss to AUS in 2019 WC to suit England team. Is there any truth in this allegation?

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
General question:
Who prepares pitches for WC ? ICC or Home team ? Because I have read at many places that pitches were made flat after England's loss to AUS in 2019 WC to suit England team. Is there any truth in this allegation?
In 2016 T20WC,
ICC
prepared square turners for NZvIND & PAKvIND matches.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I don't find them boring at the time they're being played. But there's just so many that I find they don't linger for long in the memory. The Eng/Aus series tagged onto the autumn in England last year was a decent, if a bit low key, series but I struggle to remember much detail.

Jumno

State 12th Man
I miss the golden days of odi cricket 90s, 2000s, especially when India kept losing finals.

If what so much exciting, captivating watching cricket. Had real passion.

Ind vs Sa with Sa 9 wickets in hand run a ball last 10 and still lost 2002 CT SF and many more come to mind. Even the NZ vs Bang watch was gripping to watch in 2019 wc.