• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

Gob

International Coach
Not sure why you think he would have meant the former, but props for doing the digging. There would be dozens of batsmen with more 90+ scores than Slater, not just those 3. I think you limited your first search to just the 1990s by accident haha

Wonder if Australia being an easier place to open the batting than England has anything to do with it. I don't know if that's been the case historically but it definitely has in the last 20-30 years at least. My theory, if that's the case, is that the best batsmen in England would be more inclined to bat in the middle order to get the most out of their abilities whereas those from Australia were more likely to become openers because there's less risk of getting a good ball early you can do nothing about. For example a Hayden or Warner type character coming up in England might have more success batting in the middle order and end up as number 4 or 5 batsmen rather than openers.

This theory doesn't hold up at all if the "being an opener in England is harder" assumption isn't accurate
Opening is definitely harder in England but I don't necessarily agree with the part that their best players are pushed in to the middle. In fact if anything it has been the opposite since I've been watching cricket (mid 90s) most of their best players opened the batting

Gooch
Atherton
Trescothick
Strauss
Stewart
Cook
Vaughan

Engle

State Vice-Captain
The name that stands out is Clem Hill. He probably has the highest % of 90's per innings.
S. Waugh, Tendulkar et al will always appear at the top of these lists bcuz they played so much.

sunilz

International Regular
Has anyone tried playing a simulation game between ATG teams on home and away basis ?
If yes , what was the result? Or it is not feasible?

Slifer

International Captain
JBMAC, many of us haven't seen Engineer play. Since you have seen him play and say that he is much better than Dhoni/Pant, we can have Engineer play at 7 in this team instead of Dhoni. Gives more solidity in keeping and hence, he will be a perfect fit in the team.

Gavaskar
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Kohli
Jadeja
Engineer
Kapil
Ashwin
Shami
Bumrah

#batdeep, #bowldeep and a nice fielding side too. No weak fielders there except for may be Ashwin. Will lose to a Bradmaned Australia and Sobered WI but should win against all other teams.
Tbf, it's unlikely any atg team will beat India in India. Now in a neutral venue, that's a completely different story.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
I would guess he might hold the record, or be close to it, for most scores 80-89
Nope, not even close. Neither is he close for the record for 50-89 (was unsure if this was a typo). Respectively, Tendulkar (12) and Chanderpaul (60) hold those marks, with Fleming at 5 and 40.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Tbf, it's unlikely any atg team will beat India in India. Now in a neutral venue, that's a completely different story.
Hayden
Harvey
Jones
Martyn
Smith
Border *
Healy +
Davidson
Benaud
Gillespie
Mallett

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The name that stands out is Clem Hill. He probably has the highest % of 90's per innings.
S. Waugh, Tendulkar et al will always appear at the top of these lists bcuz they played so much.
Pant has 4 in 20 Tests (33 innings)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nope, not even close. Neither is he close for the record for 50-89 (was unsure if this was a typo). Respectively, Tendulkar (12) and Chanderpaul (60) hold those marks, with Fleming at 5 and 40.
interesting. i remember reading somewhere here that he had a super high number of unconverted 80-99 scores, which explained why he managed to average over 40 with only 9 tons in 111 tests

but i guess not

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
interesting. i remember reading somewhere here that he had a super high number of unconverted 80-99 scores, which explained why he managed to average over 40 with only 9 tons in 111 tests

but i guess not
45 50s and 9 100s (including 3 double hundreds). Should really have averaged quite a bit more but really struggled in NZ and did well abroad (averaged over 100 in SL v Murali).
Home av - 33.87, away 45.92).

Flem274*

123/5
nz is a terrible place to bat for players like fleming so those averages aren't surprising. fleming did not get forward to pace at all.