• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* 2nd Test at the MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai, 13 - 17 Feb 2021

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm surprised no-one has dug up my several posts in the last week that were absolutely savage on the idea that Ashwin's batting was still good enough to bat 7. Especially since I was a total condescending dick to centurymaker about it (admittedly he was making annoying cliche arguments, but all the same).

We don't have the "taaaaaaaaste it" culture here we once used to.
Everyone's too scared about being on the receiving end of a taste next time, easier just not to post when your team starts losing.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The only thing I would add is that Woakes overtook Curran with his performances in the home tests of 2020. Prior to then, it was a much closer call between the two of them; similar test statistics, Woakes with the superior domestic record, but Curran had made several impact contributions in test matches. But Woakes had much the better summer against WI and Pakistan and will normally be picked now unless we're playing two spinners. iirc Curran only played ahead of Woakes in SL because Woakes was isolating due to covid-related reasons.
Always felt like Woakes was really quite comfortably ahead of Curran, you never really doubt that he is a frontline bowler and his record at home has been excellent for a while now.

The other big difference of course is age, will be interesting to see what happens with Woakes, feels like he could go on to take over well over 250 wickets or not play much more at all. Would have thought they would want him around after Anderson and Broad retire but that will mean he himself will be playing well into his 30s. Then there is his away record, guess they could just play him at home but it seems less feasible without Broad or Anderson. Batting will obviously be a factor as well, especially if Leach is going to be the spinner.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I'm surprised no-one has dug up my several posts in the last week that were absolutely savage on the idea that Ashwin's batting was still good enough to bat 7. Especially since I was a total condescending dick to centurymaker about it (admittedly he was making annoying cliche arguments, but all the same).

Good bot. Won't bite the enhanced Turing test.

cnerd123

likes this

Cbf digging up all posts where you were wrong, pay off isn't worth it.

On the other hand if it was Burgey who said that...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah I think the culture around this has changed a bit, especially since I was insistently and aggressively wrong in a pretty epic way.
FWIW I still don't think he can be a consistent #7 but horses for courses and all that..

Mainly coz he will have to bowl so many overs too. One good thing about him batting 6 for a little was also the fact that he got.out and we still used to bat like an hour or so.

Last edited:

custodiansofcricket

Cricket Spectator
Hard to see England recovering from this. A few scars I am sure will be opened for the rest of the series.
India bounced back fine v Australia after 36 all out.

Also plenty of examples in England where both sides have recovered from batterings to win the next test.

The next test is a day nighter which will put some pep in England step and a rested Anderson will make a serious difference.

India are favs to win the series, but won't be a procession, England are not Sri Lanka!
[/QUOTE]
this Indian team is a generational team though. ICC Test mace for four consecutive years.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Not just Anderson but Woakes would be useful under lights too.
Yeah, I wonder if they will go with 4 seamers + Leach and Stokes there. As much as the pitch will be Indian (and the usual Motera wicket is one of the deadest tracks in India), it may still be the best option for the pink ball test for England. Something like:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Anderson

the big bambino

International Captain
Yeah, I wonder if they will go with 4 seamers + Leach and Stokes there. As much as the pitch will be Indian (and the usual Motera wicket is one of the deadest tracks in India), it may still be the best option for the pink ball test for England. Something like:

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Are some of those guys available? Cricinfo has Crawley as a withdrawn player - though they haven't updated England's squad for the first two tests. Can't see Bairstow's bio anywhere. I'd go with the same top 7 currently playing and the bowlers Woakes Anderson Archer (unless he's unfit then Stone) and Leach.

Can't recall how good Broad is under lights but I think someone has to make way for Archer or Stone. Moeen could come in for Leach for #batdeep but suspect Leach is better at bowling dry. Alternatively play Broad for Leach and Moeen for Pope.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Are some of those guys available? Cricinfo has Crawley as a withdrawn player - though they haven't updated England's squad for the first two tests. Can't see Bairstow's bio anywhere. I'd go with the same top 7 currently playing and the bowlers Woakes Anderson Archer (unless he's unfit then Stone) and Leach.

Can't recall how good Broad is under lights but I think someone has to make way for Archer or Stone. Moeen could come in for Leach for #batdeep but suspect Leach is better at bowling dry. Alternatively play Broad for Leach and Moeen for Pope.
So, the pre-decided English rotation policy means that after this test, they get Bairstow and Sam Curran available again. Moeen is going back after this test. Archer and Crawley are both expected to be fit well in time for the 3rd test.

And you are right, I forgot about Leach. Maybe he comes in for one of Woakes/Broad/Archer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Sibley
Crawley
Bairstow
Root
Stokes
Pope
Foakes
Woakes
Archer
Broad
Anderson
Except Leach isn't in the team you named, lol.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Except Leach isn't in the team you named, lol.
I mean they can also try batting Foakes at 6 and Woakes at 7 and play Leach but I feel that will be overkill of bowlers. Maybe go,

Sibley, Crawley, Bairstow, Root, Stokes, Pope, Foakes, Woakes, Broad/Archer, Leach, Anderson.

the big bambino

International Captain
So, the pre-decided English rotation policy means that after this test, they get Bairstow and Sam Curran available again. Moeen is going back after this test. Archer and Crawley are both expected to be fit well in time for the 3rd test.

And you are right, I forgot about Leach. Maybe he comes in for one of Woakes/Broad/Archer.
Ah ok. I'd bring in Zak for Lawrence retain the remaining 6 of the top 7 and go Woakes Archer Anderson Leach.

D

Deleted member 38150

has there ever been a test championship before? If so, who wont that..

D

Deleted member 38150

Test century count:
Ravi Ashwin: 5
Tim Paine: 0

But at least Paine has got friends.
I think Paine's net practice mainly involves thinking of some wise ass digs at oppn batsman.. he probably considers that as his main skill :) for a lack of anything else prominent other than participating in toss and some lame press interviews :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think Paine's net practice mainly involves thinking of some wise ass digs at oppn batsman.. he probably considers that as his main skill :) for a lack of anything else prominent other than participating in toss and some lame press interviews :laugh:
It was a stupid sledge and Paine definitely comes across as a very bitter guy under the hood but to his credit, he came out and apologized, which is more than most cricketers would have done. I thought it was classless from Ashwin to carry on about it but at least he explained it was just a bit of dressing room fun and he did not think what Paine said was very bad or anything. We should also cut it out by now, I think. :)