• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Josh Hazlewood vs James Anderson

Hazlewood vs Anderson

• Hazlewood

• Anderson

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kirkut

International Regular
anderson isn't trash, he's an excellent swing bowler in home conditions and has had a few very good away series, but the true test of a swing bowler is using the kookaburra and he averages 33 with it. that's middling.

the duke ruins english cricket by turning every domestic 115-120kph trundler into a county demon and ensuring the english are more disadvantaged bowling away from home.

i just can't take the atg chat seriously. hazlewood is obviously the better all conditions bowler.
It's strange how much of a difference a cricket ball can make. There is a rare case in Dale Steyn who would spit fire with the kookaburra but struggled with the duke balls, Mitchell Johnson too!

Noumenon

U19 Vice-Captain
In the last quarter of his career, Anderson has morphed into a biomechanical perfection. Beautiful bowler.

Flem274*

123/5
I like Southee but a comparison of their respective records does not favour him. If you were to adjust Southee's record so that he played the same relative mix of opponents as Anderson (both home and away), Southee would be averaging 33.18. Southee also averages 34 with the 'cheat ball' so you can't really point to that as a reason for the difference. Now I think there are several reasons why that probably exaggerates the gap between the two, but crapping on about how Anderson is rubbish, or even about how Anderson and Southee are on the same level just makes you look like a bit of a dickhead.
this is a bit of a weird way to go about proving his superiority. anderson does average over 30 with the kookaburra and his record is heavily reliant on the duke and the h4x english schedule. it's pretty fair to say if he played for someone else like sri lanka he'd retire with 300 odd at 27-28 and no one would really care 10 years later i.e. chaminda vaas.

if you do value longevity or quantity to the extreme like a pews then fair enough you can call him a great by your own criteria but i don't really think the circumstance of playing for the right country and being so meh without the duke put you in that zone. he's an atvg for me, but ymmv.

he and tim southee are absolutely comparable because i consider them hometown demons who absolutely love the touring subcontinental sides in particular and have some excellent tours to asia under their belts. where anderson can edge slightly ahead is he has bowled very well in australia, a country where southee and nz disappoint time and again despite tim southee being the far better flat pitch kookaburra bowler 9 times out of 10. southee averaging 34 in england is disappointing for a swing bowler of his skill, though he is on the lords honour board which is something.

andersons 60000 wickets in 78 test series don't really come into it because i don't really punish southee or other players for not doing something he had no opportunity to do.

and your final eight words are 100% correct.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
Anderson has (not unsurprisingly considering the number of tests he has played, but even 'per test' it's a high number) the most number of dropped catches too off his bowling as I recall.

Tom Flint

International Regular
If the kiwi supporters actually bothered to go and watch the tests then maybe they would schedule more. Some lovely grounds they have with the traditional grass banks and only ever half full.
England have 8+ home tests each summer because we sell our tickets. Same as aus

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
You have eight home tests per summer because it’s the only test playing nation in the world whose playing summer is at that time of year

DriveClub

International Regular
If the kiwi supporters actually bothered to go and watch the tests then maybe they would schedule more. Some lovely grounds they have with the traditional grass banks and only ever half full.
England have 8+ home tests each summer because we sell our tickets. Same as aus
That's true, test cricket isn't all that popular in nz outside this forum looks like.

Flem274*

123/5
dunno what you guys have been watching because nz do get good crowds at the traditional grounds (did you see mt maunganui, hagley, the basin and seddon this summer?) but ground sales don't pay the bills, broadcasting rights do. the only way i see that turning around is keeping the side competitive and fun to watch for multiple generations rather than boom bust cycle nz have had since hadlee debuted.

also worth noting england play a crazy amount of tests even for a big 3 nation. i'll give jimmy this, he must be one of the fittest and most driven men on the planet. i just looked up sam curran and he's already got 20 tests to his name despite being in and out of the english side.

DriveClub

International Regular
dunno what you guys have been watching because nz do get good crowds at the traditional grounds (did you see mt maunganui, hagley, the basin and seddon this summer?) but ground sales don't pay the bills, broadcasting rights do. the only way i see that turning around is keeping the side competitive and fun to watch for multiple generations rather than boom bust cycle nz have had since hadlee debuted.
It's nothing compared to what you get in England and AUS. They do get more crowds for Tests than SL, WI, BD etc. Test cricket in those countries is in a sorry state.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
It's nothing compared to what you get in England and NZ. They do get more crowds for Tests than SL, WI, BD etc. Test cricket in those countries is in a sorry state.
scale though. millions of people live in london and melbourne, whereas wellington is about 400k and the other cities with traditional venues are much smaller (mt maunganui has a resident population of 19k, yet they packed into the 10k bay oval over the holidays thanks to the tourists). of course those larger cities will fill stadiums.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Having capacity crowds definately brings in good revenue. It's not just the tickets sales it's the sponsorships and the broadcasters love it when the stadium looks full

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel like if you fused the two of them and it was 2007 you would end up with Nathan Bracken.

_00_deathscar

International Debutant
scale though. millions of people live in london and melbourne, whereas wellington is about 400k and the other cities with traditional venues are much smaller (mt maunganui has a resident population of 19k, yet they packed into the 10k bay oval over the holidays thanks to the tourists). of course those larger cities will fill stadiums.
No one has answered my question re: NZ tests. Not you, specifically, but the argument posed was that NZ tests, even when playing India, don't get great TV viewership because they're at strange times - thus they only play 2-test series.
So how come:
  • They don't tour India more often
  • And even when they do, they still only play barely any tests?

greg

International Debutant
No one has answered my question re: NZ tests. Not you, specifically, but the argument posed was that NZ tests, even when playing India, don't get great TV viewership because they're at strange times - thus they only play 2-test series.
So how come:
  • They don't tour India more often
  • And even when they do, they still only play barely any tests?
Isn't that generally a home country decision? A perception that home India tests against New Zealand are not a particularly commercially attractive proposition, so they offer the bare minimum under ICC requirements for the test championship etc. Even for the larger cricket boards i think that often longer series (outside of the Ashes) have historically been a consequence of bilateral agreements based on "you offer us 4/5 tests we'll do the same in return" etc.

Gob

International Coach
No one in their right minds would suggest even Cummins leave aside Hazlewood is better than Jimmy (Jim? James? Jimothy?). But when you look at his overall away record, this is what you see
20210124_184102.jpg
Does this mean he can't bowl in Aus or India? Nope he has proven over the years that he is capable of bowling in both those countries and he was instrumental in England winning in both of those countries but that's not what the average pakistan fan who spends most of his time watching Wasim's magic balls on YouTube see when a no good soap evading England fan claims Jimmy is the GOAT leading the said fan to post insightful comments like 'Anderson CAnt BoWl in SUBCONTINENT'

The point I'm making here is that well I don't remember what my point is other than if was an England fan, I'd be pretty pissed off at the crap you here about Anderson. Also I'm drunk as **** so how come someone you knew for so long become a complete stranger to you?