• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** India vs England 2021 General Discussion thread

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
I follow India less then you presumably especially domestically but I would imagine surely one of Jadeja or Ashwin goes - Pant at 5, Jadeja at 6 looks a spot too high - maybe in a year or 2 Pant adds consistency to his game but lose a couple new ball wickets which is very possible in pacer friendly conditions and it looks like so much pressure on just Kohli and maybe Pujara.

Rahane is on his last legs, while the Aus series win invariably has given some more time, I fear his decline is more or less terminal as a batsman. He might give the odd chancy ones here or there but overall will continue to average in the lower 40s or late 30s which is not good enough.
Does Jadeja average more than low 40s over the next year or 2 at 6 - is he doing much bowling on a green NZ pitch, green and/or cloudy England ground. My presumption was it would be something like this?

Gill
Rohit**
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane*
Pant (wk)
Pandya
Ashwin - maybe Jadeja if no or few left handers
Shami
Bumrah
Ishant/Siraj

** - very iffy on Rohit just wondering who might do better than him in swinging conditions - might have said Agarwal but do not see him being picked on recent form. Easwaran not really in the runs either this year although don't know much about him technique wise.

* - Agree about Rahane on a decline- always warmed to him as a cricketer so it's a shame although wonder if there is anyone better - does Vihari deserve a bit more of a run maybe.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
I follow India less then you presumably especially domestically but I would imagine surely one of Jadeja or Ashwin goes - Pant at 5, Jadeja at 6 looks a spot too high - maybe in a year or 2 Pant adds consistency to his game but lose a couple new ball wickets which is very possible in pacer friendly conditions and it looks like so much pressure on just Kohli and maybe Pujara.

Does Jadeja average more than low 40s over the next year or 2 at 6 - is he doing much bowling on a green NZ pitch, green and/or cloudy England ground. My presumption was it would be something like this?

Gill
Rohit**
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane*
Pant (wk)
Pandya
Shami
Bumrah
Ishant/Siraj

** - very iffy on Rohit just wondering who might do better than him in swinging conditions - might have said Agarwal but do not see him being picked on recent form. Easwaran not really in the runs either this year although don't know much about him technique wise.

* - Agree about Rahane on a decline- always warmed to him as a cricketer so it's a shame although wonder if there is anyone better - does Vihari deserve a bit more of a run maybe.
My stance is that pick your best bowlers according to the conditions. If it is cloudy or green then your 3 pace bowlers should be good enough to make best use of them. There is no point in dropping Jadeja just because pitch happens to be green. As I said before, he is value as a pure bat in the middle order as it stands now. He has to be a certain pick regardless of where India plays, given he has been averaging over 50 for more than 4 years now - and his record with the bat is very good as well away from.home, despite thwarted by having to bat with lower order or tailenders a lot of times. He performed with the ball in some of the most unhelpful surfaces away from home and did well as a bowler - so that's an added bonus as well. And add to that his value as a fielder. There is no way he is not walking to an Indian XI.

Agree on Rohit. He is not a long term option at all. Can't do anything outside India presumably. What looked like a hotly contested position suddenly looks barren - given the way Shaw and Agarwal were exposed. I still think Rahul could be a better option than Rohit opening.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant

Gill
Rohit**
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane*
Pant (wk)
Pandya
Shami
Bumrah
Ishant/Siraj

My stance is that pick your best bowlers according to the conditions. If it is cloudy or green then your 3 pace bowlers should be good enough to make best use of them. There is no point in dropping Jadeja just because pitch happens to be green. As I said before, he is value as a pure bat in the middle order as it stands now. He has to be a certain pick regardless of where India plays, given he has been averaging over 50 for more than 4 years now - and his record with the bat is very good as well away from.home, despite thwarted by having to bat with lower order or tailenders a lot of times. He performed with the ball in some of the most unhelpful surfaces away from home and did well as a bowler - so that's an added bonus as well. And add to that his value as a fielder. There is no way he is not walking to an Indian XI.

Agree on Rohit. He is not a long term option at all. Can't do anything outside India presumably. What looked like a hotly contested position suddenly looks barren - given the way Shaw and Agarwal were exposed. I still think Rahul could be a better option than Rohit opening.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Yeah am troubled a bit by Axar's selection. What has the guy done in Facebook cricket of late ? I dont think he has done much of anything in Ranji over last two seasons.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England test v Sri Lanka finishes Tuesday 26th. Presumably fly next day to Sri Lanka. I've read in a few places that England will have to observe a hard quarantine of 7 days inside their hotel room initially in India. That means they'll leave quarantine on or around 3rd of February. Test starts 5 February. If that's true that is kind of incredible. They'll possibly have one net on the day before the game. Something must be wrong with my understanding of the situation.

Shri

Mr. Glass
if the australia series is anything to go by, england should be happy to be allowed into india at all and should be grateful for the opportunity to play cricket

hope we are more classy than the aussies and don't use quarantine to gain a psychological edge on the tourists

Window

U19 Debutant
I kinda ignored Ashwin making the same suggestion in his vlog but the idea that CA and the Australian federal and state governments used quarantine as some psychological warfare to win cricket matches is laughable.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How is Axar Patel any where near the test side? WTF.
He was very good for Gujarat in the last season.

However I should add that I’m only basing this off scorecards, I haven’t actually met his family, given him throwdowns and had a beer with him so I don’t think I’m qualified to comment.

sunilz

International Regular
Honest question, if England manage to do the unthinkable and somehow beat India after the high of the Australian tour, will Kohli's captaincy be under any risk?
Yes. He would be removed from Captaincy otherwise Indian supporters will burn his effigy outside BCCI headquarters and I will crowdfund it.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was very good for Gujarat in the last season.

However I should add that I’m only basing this off scorecards, I haven’t actually met his family, given him throwdowns and had a beer with him so I don’t think I’m qualified to comment.
Is his family rich, though?

Flem274*

123/5
jadeja and hardik are not test #5s. a bit of overthinking from sentry and others imo.

rohit
gill
pujara
kohli
rahane
vihari/hardik/washington
jadeja
ashwin
saha
shami
bumrah

your best team for home games imo

Shri

Mr. Glass
lol imagine dropping pant after one of the atg test knocks albeit on a road

saha's glovework is declining anyway so i am not even sure if his keeping would bring something more to the side than pant's batting

sunilz

International Regular
2016 Jayant Yadav
2018 Sam Curran

Who will will the lower order batsman that will annoy opposition team this time ?

Shri

Mr. Glass
2016 Jayant Yadav
2018 Sam Curran

Who will will the lower order batsman that will annoy opposition team this time ?
tail doesn't annoy india at home generally

won't be surprised to see sundar make a ton if he plays tho