• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

3rd Test at the SCG, Sydney, 7 Jan - 11 Jan 2021

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate, I don’t care. I don’t rate finger spinners, I don’t like the discipline. It’s generally a blight on the game imo. It’s the discipline which also gives us rubbish nothingness into the pads in LO cricket being effective. It just doesn’t appeal to me.
I put lyon in that side because warne could barely land it in India. That doesn’t mean I rate what he does over wrist spin (or indeed a wristy).

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
@Burgey

Again, it is a cop out, given you were particularly targetting Ashwin before the series and not Ashwin and Lyon both:

he’s got nothing to lose because the batsmen haven’t coped with it, he’s not really expected to last, and he’ll be out of the side next test after taking 0/190 for the match anyway.
home track bully and mediocre here over a decade. The evidence is compelling
Any ways. I don't care either, Burgey mate.

Burgey

@Burgey

Again, it is a cop out, given you were particularly targetting Ashwin before the series and not Ashwin and Lyon both:

Any ways. I don't care either, Burgey mate.
Oh for sure, because Ashwin has been terrible when he’s toured here before. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect him to be terrible again ffs. And tbh he was cod average this test too. Very good in Melbourne, good in Adelaide.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Oh for sure, because Ashwin has been terrible when he’s toured here before. It’s perfectly reasonable to expect him to be terrible again ffs. And tbh he was cod average this test too. Very good in Melbourne, good in Adelaide.
Essentially you wrote Ashwin off and if there is any thing cricket has taught us, it is that you should write off players at your own peril. I remember Richard used to do this ever so often. Ashwin is a beautiful player.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
From left arm around with Starc's action, he's not swinging it 'away' towards first slip in a traditional sense, he's swinging it back-to-straight because of the angle. It's a really awkward thing to wicketkeep to, on the basis that if Starc loses one down even slightly down leg it's angling a long way down and you're throwing yourself at it and hoping. With the amount of short stuff on offer, standing straighter is perfectly reasonable to ensure that a leg side strangle is in catching range.

It means that an edge to first slip is going to be a much thicker one with much more deviation from the original trajectory than if the ball had got there from a right arm over release, and the wicketkeeper is going to be far more unsighted. I think it's a tricky catch where needing a dive, in it itself, isn't a failure of technique. Paine executed very badly because he didn't look ready for it and he's not an exceptional 'footwork' keeper.
I get all that if the ball pitched leg or middle and straightened. My point is, once the ball pitched on or outside offstump you are still taking that first step to the right as a keeper, as you yourself said, the edge is likely to be thicker on the outer edge and therefore, more room to cover in all likelihood.

My point is that he failed in one of the basics as a keeper for that ball and I reckon that was Spark's point too, as at the very least you can judge to leave the ball for a slipper if the weight is at least going the right way.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He was average after the dropped catch in the first innings but I think he was immense in the second innings on a flat deck. Repeatedly did Smith (and even Labu a few times) on flight trajectory and length and was the difference between them running away with the game in the first session. You are underselling how well he bowled yesterday, I think.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
He was by no means terrible in SCG. He bowled in the first innings during the worst phase for a spinner, could have reaped rewards had he got to bowl at lower order but was never given a chance after the 2nd new ball was taken. In fact had Rahane not tried to make a point and let Ashwin bowl ahead of Saini, Aus could well have been dismissed 50-60 rund fewer.

In the 2nd innings, he got Warner early which was key in preventing Aussies get away with a quick start. By then, the pitch had died more or less and he had lost the support of Jadeja from other end.

Ashwin never had the luxury of a good pace attack around him in the previous tours to Aus, like he had now. That makes a massive difference.

Burgey

Ashwin is a beautiful player.
Gnske likes this post.

Of course you can write off players. And if they do well, good on them, you acknowledge it and get on with it. Do you just hedge your bets watching sportspeople instead of looking at them and, on a forum about that sport, not put forward your thoughts on them? Cos that seems to me the blancmange approach to posting

I’d rather say what I think of a player/ how I think they’ll go and get a call wrong than hand wring and not put forward a view.

Or worse, not front up after a game when the mob I support have done poorly. That’s not a shot at you btw.

Burgey

He was by no means terrible in SCG. He bowled in the first innings during the worst phase for a spinner, could have reaped rewards had he got to bowl at lower order but was never given a chance after the 2nd new ball was taken. In fact had Rahane not tried to make a point and let Ashwin bowl ahead of Saini, Aus could well have been dismissed 50-60 rund fewer
Nah, he bowled poorly. He dropped short for basically the only time so far this tour and was cut through the off side with ease.

But more to the point, you should have come along at the end of day one, two or three and said this, but curiously at 2/180 odd day one and after day three you weren’t about the place...

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Nah, he bowled poorly. He dropped short for basically the only time so far this tour and was cut through the off side with ease.

But more to the point, you should have come along at the end of day one, two or three and said this, but curiously at 2/180 odd day one and after day three you weren’t about the place...
Look i tried to engage you in a conversation, but you want to make it still personal. Go and get some sleep old man.

Tomorrow will be better day.