• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Victor Ian

International Coach

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

I'm a bit uncertain about this. Part of me think it's great skill and also reasonably high risk, but the other part of me thinks Chappell makes fair points. And the rule around LBW needs to change - if you switch, all bets are off. No such thing as pitching outside (hitting in line obviously still being a thing)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is he developing a bit of dementia or what

Surely he knows complaining to the umpire mid game would do nothing. Can't get a mid game law change by a hot blooded whinge

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Is he developing a bit of dementia or what

Surely he knows complaining to the umpire mid game would do nothing. Can't get a mid game law change by a hot blooded whinge
Yeah that's silly business, but sometimes you have to get a bit carried away to affect change. What's the law with the wide lines when you switch hit - do they automatically open up both ways?

cnerd123

likes this
What's the law with the wide lines when you switch hit - do they automatically open up both ways?
Wide lines remain as they were when the batsman took his stance

They only move if a batsman walks towards the offstump wide line before the bowler delivers the ball, but I think even that isn't applied much these days.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Right - so if I switch to left hand, and the ball goes through what would be 5th stump outside my off stump, that's still a wide. That rule is rubbish. I'm allowed as a batsman to access all areas of the field and to manipulate the set field, but as a bowler my rights stay the same.

Change the lbw law to show it can pitch outside both stumps (hitting in line still) and the wide lines become off side on both sides.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Right - so if I switch to left hand, and the ball goes through what would be 5th stump outside my off stump, that's still a wide. That rule is rubbish. I'm allowed as a batsman to access all areas of the field and to manipulate the set field, but as a bowler my rights stay the same.

Change the lbw law to show it can pitch outside both stumps (hitting in line still) and the wide lines become off side on both sides.
I agree with you, but the bolded should only apply if the batsman changes his stance after the bowler starts running in (I suspect this may have been what you meant, but it's unclear?)

I have no problem with switch hits but I certainly think batsmen should lose all offside/legside umpiring privilege if they do it.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I agree with you, but the bolded should only apply if the batsmen changes his stance after the bowler starts running in (I suspect this may have been what you meant, but it's unclear?)

I have no problem with switch hits but I certainly think batsmen should lose all offside/legside umpiring privilege if they do it.
Yep that's what I mean. If they're going to be changing after the bowler runs in and particularly towards the end of their run up, they don't have sufficient time to adjust. I'm the same - switch hits I'm totally comfortable with. But I don't think they should be allowable with no loss of rights.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yep that's what I mean. If they're going to be changing after the bowler runs in and particularly towards the end of their run up, they don't have sufficient time to adjust. I'm the same - switch hits I'm totally comfortable with. But I don't think they should be allowable with no loss of rights.
Yeah I thought that's what you meant but I thought I'd clarify. Totally agree.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Arent you normally doing it to balls pitching outside off anyway?
They normally premeditate to do so before the ball is bowled. And yeah, most balls pitch outside off in general.

When the ball goes down "leg" but the bloke has just missed one just outside off as per his new stance and it's a wide, it sucks, though.

Last edited: