• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How G is an ATG?

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Steyn, Ambrose, McGrath, Marshall, Holding, Roberts, Hadlee, Trueman, Wasim, Waqar, Imran, Garner, Lillee and Donald are the guys I consider true ATG pacemen. Can throw Procter in there too.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Walsh and Anderson are just about neck-and-neck IMO.
Tbh, Walsh is a bad comparison for Anderson because Walsh is one of the pacers with freakish longevity (16 years) who did about as well throughout his career as Anderson did in his best half.

Anderson is definetly a cut above Gillespie etc though. Anderson is the very model of a ATVG cricketer.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Interesting to hear judgements on Anderson and Walsh, would from afar probably agree with your list Red Hill in terms of hard to say anyone on that list doesn't deserve to be on it, guess ATG is a somewhat abstract idea but there has to be some line. Out of interest, I get that Test performances are a huge contributor in making what most would define an ATG but would anyone's stance on Anderson or Walsh change if they had been truly immense in ODIs say like Joel Garner - crazy looking at his ODI stats

Teja.

Global Moderator
Some batsmen who are about the batting equivalent of Anderson's bowling quality in my estimation would be Gordon Greenidge, VVS Laxman and Greame Smith.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've heard Sobers referred to as one of the all time greats on black and white footage so it isn't just a CW thing.

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I audibly groaned when I read JOJO's post bringing Jimmy A's name into this discussion......not because its unreasonable but because of this forums inability to discuss and rate him with any sort of sense or reason. This might be the first time its been achieved (so far......give it time)

Agree with what's been said thus far. If ATG is your top tier, then Jimmy sits in the next level down.

Flem274*

123/5
it's arbitrary at the low end of the spectrum so my broad criteria are

openers - 45+ average
middle order - 50+
allrounder - meets atg criteria with one discipline
keeper - most arbitrary, but world class gloveman and can use his bat somewhat. 35+ average, leeway given to both disciplines case by case
spinners - 26 or 27 and below
quicks - sub 25

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, to me Anderson is great but not quite ATG. I don't like this concept of ATVG. Just simply call them great, you **** s.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I audibly groaned when I read JOJO's post bringing Jimmy A's name into this discussion......not because its unreasonable but because of this forums inability to discuss and rate him with any sort of sense or reason. This might be the first time its been achieved (so far......give it time)

Agree with what's been said thus far. If ATG is your top tier, then Jimmy sits in the next level down.
good things never last

Gillespie over Anderson by the width of the Pacific Ocean as far as I'm concerned
Opposite tbh

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Gillespie over Anderson by the width of the Pacific Ocean as far as I'm concerned
A totally ridiculous opinion. Based on what?

Their Test bowling averages are similar (Anderson 26.8 v Gillespie 26.1). In terms of wickets per Test played it is similar again (Anderson 3.9 v Gillespie 3.6).

However in terms of longevity (Anderson 151 Tests v Gillespie 71), number of 5 wickets in an innings (Anderson 28 v Gillespie 8 equating to Anderson 1 every 5.4 games v Gillespie 1 every 8.9 games) and 10 wickets in a match (Anderson 3 v Gillespie 0) there is no comparison.

An additional factor is that 75% of Anderson's 'fivefers' came in the first innings (when the game is often won and lost) while only 50% of Gillespie's 'fivefers' came in the first innings.

If you are going to express an opinion, substantiate it with some facts otherwise your opinion counts for little.