• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Australia in India ODIs 2019/20

srbhkshk

International Captain
Last 6 years in ODIs (min 3000 runs):

PlayerMatInnsNORunsHSAveSR10050
V Kohli (INDIA)120118216638160*68.4397.262629
AB de Villiers (SA)696514324617663.64119.03917
LRPL Taylor (NZ)9692214391181*61.84841226
RG Sharma (INDIA)11010912594126461.2495.332523
F du Plessis (SA)969115440518557.9689.971228
DA Warner (AUS)78776392017955.21101.521613
JE Root (ENG)121114185225133*54.4288.421629
Babar Azam (PAK)7472103359125*54.1787.081115
KS Williamson (NZ)100988479414853.2683.121033
AD Mathews (SL)10193243522139*51.0483.59324
SD Hope (WI)757010305117050.8573.89815
Mushfiqur Rahim (BDESH)949015365114448.6888.53625
SPD Smith (AUS)88848365916448.1486.91924
HM Amla (SA)96968405915946.1286.711516
S Dhawan (INDIA)1051035445714345.4794.021224
Tamim Iqbal (BDESH)80787319013244.9277.01722
Q de Kock (SA)99996416617844.7996.921024
MJ Guptill (NZ)10099103981237*44.7391.581217
JJ Roy (ENG)84812338118042.79107.4918
JC Buttler (ENG)12110120346215042.74118.92918
AJ Finch (AUS)1029934086153*42.5688.981422
EJG Morgan (ENG)12411411402714839.0995.2726
Boy, England sure do play a hell lot of cricket, about top in ODIs here and tend to be comfortably ahead in tests too.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm finding it more and more difficult to draw anything of value from odi stats tbh. So many players are putting up numbers that would've made them shoo-ins for an all time xi 15 years ago.
ODI stats are virtually meaningless right now for these reasons:

1) Two new balls has homogenized the skills in the one day game substantially. There is now little difference coming in to bat in the 20th over or the 40th from a conditions perspective. The ball is still hard.
2) Because of point 1, long innings' are favourable to shorter innings. If one or both of your openers don't fire, your side is probably going to lose. If one of your openers gets out after facing a decent number of balls but before going large it's going to hurt you more than if they got a duck.
3) Bowlers have been marginalised so much that you basically have to be an ATG bowler to be any kind of threat.
4) The main difference between grounds now is not the pitch (which are universally roads) but the size of the ground itself. The big 5 Australian grounds see much lower totals only because they're larger and see more 2s and 4s that would otherwise have been 4s or 6s on other grounds.
5) Sides are not bowling their best attacks regularly. The best bowlers of the last decade have played a third the one dayers that players of previous eras did. This means that these bowlers are less experienced than the batsmen they're facing and it means that the batsmen get big statistical boosts by facing second string attacks.

None of this in any way diminishes Kohli's accomplishments, but if this is the way the game is headed, there might be a permanent divide in ODI stats between pre-2015 players and post-2015 players, just as there is between pre WWI and post WWI batsmen in tests.

sunilz

International Regular
Agree with everything Stephen has posted. This is why I want DOG to have a crack at ODI batting ratings because I would really like to know where do Mark Waugh/ Desilva stand in comparison to modern batsmen.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree with everything Stephen has posted. This is why I want DOG to have a crack at ODI batting ratings because I would really like to know where do Mark Waugh/ Desilva stand in comparison to modern batsmen.
Its far too difficult for any stat exercise to standardize it properly because its simply changed too much, thats the point. Its like its an entirely different format from the way it was in the 90s.

srbhkshk

International Captain
Its far too difficult for any stat exercise to standardize it properly because its simply changed too much, thats the point. Its like its an entirely different format from the way it was in the 90s.
Even without the change it's far harder to rank ODI batsman because Strike rate is a far far bigger factor than in tests.

sunilz

International Regular
However we all can agree that Rohit Sharma should replace Gilchrist in ODI ATXI :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ODI stats are virtually meaningless right now for these reasons:

1) Two new balls has homogenized the skills in the one day game substantially. There is now little difference coming in to bat in the 20th over or the 40th from a conditions perspective. The ball is still hard.
2) Because of point 1, long innings' are favourable to shorter innings. If one or both of your openers don't fire, your side is probably going to lose. If one of your openers gets out after facing a decent number of balls but before going large it's going to hurt you more than if they got a duck.
3) Bowlers have been marginalised so much that you basically have to be an ATG bowler to be any kind of threat.
4) The main difference between grounds now is not the pitch (which are universally roads) but the size of the ground itself. The big 5 Australian grounds see much lower totals only because they're larger and see more 2s and 4s that would otherwise have been 4s or 6s on other grounds.
5) Sides are not bowling their best attacks regularly. The best bowlers of the last decade have played a third the one dayers that players of previous eras did. This means that these bowlers are less experienced than the batsmen they're facing and it means that the batsmen get big statistical boosts by facing second string attacks.

None of this in any way diminishes Kohli's accomplishments, but if this is the way the game is headed, there might be a permanent divide in ODI stats between pre-2015 players and post-2015 players, just as there is between pre WWI and post WWI batsmen in tests.

I won't agree it is that bad and I am pretty sure if you see the stats you will see that many good ODI bowlers have still been bowling. The two new balls have certainly negated most of the finger spinnners and the short boundaries have been more frequent than they used to be but there is also the fact that pre 2015 guys had that stupid powerplay rule for a good 5 to 8 years and before that, the even sillier 15 over rule with balls above shoulder height being no-balls. It is absolutely true the average score has gone up but I would attribute it more to the impact of T20 cricket than just some sudden massive downturn of bowlers. I think the noughties had worse bowlers than we do today and with much siller gimmicky field restrictions and rules. While I do agree with the broader point that ODI stats today cannot be directly compared to the 90s, I think there are factors which are just being negated by such a totally one sided view.

The only real point is that on average the runs scored have gone up but like I said, there can be other factors that play into it than just "bowling is just easier to face today". IIRC, there was a big jump in ODI scores in the mid 90s in comparison to the 80-95 period as well and it would be silly to apply some sort of corrective bias to stats of just one period while assuming every other era in ODIs was the same. IT was not.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
The bowlers overall are of comparable or better quality. But as stephen says and you somehow missed, the point is that the good bowlers simply aren't playing much.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I didn't miss it, my point is that it is offset by the sheer number of games now. I don't think you can say that the good bowlers don't play often, just offhand. I feel enough good bowlers do play overall. I mean, you do realize the noughties and even the 90s were the era of folks like Chris Harris and Ian Harvey? How are they better than some of the blokes going around now? :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
In terms of percentage, sure. But I am talking actual number of games here. Plus I actually feel there has been the need to get more quality bowlers into the ODI sides in the last few years than there was in the 90s and noughties, which really was the era for the no-rounders.

And batsmen are rested often too, not as often as seamers but its not like they all play every game either. As I said, I am sure they are true factors but not to the extent stephen's post makes it seem. To me, its the rise of T20 cricket that has been the major major contributor to the kind of scores we see now and hence the need to have to contextualize these numbers in that sense. I really don't think in terms of batsmanship itself, there has been any decrease in this era compared to previous. And once you start era-adjusting, it has to be done across all eras. You cannot assume the 90s numbers to be the same coz it was a very different game compared to the 80s and so on.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, top batsmen give a miss to not so important tourneys and bilateral series. I think Kohli sat out of 2 Asia cups back to back or at least one.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Honestly, the standard of the game is much higher now than in the 90s. Batting is easier, granted, but more than that, batsmen have really worked on their games and have figured out the art of ODI batting. And this is true for a bunch of batsmen now compared to 4-5 in previous eras. That's what makes it different.

sunilz

International Regular
The fact there are only 2 bowlers from top ODI teams above 700 ratings points ( Moderate benchmark) means there is a serious scarcity of top ODI bowlers or most of them are losing points as they are resting from ODI matches.
Throughout last decade ODI bowling quality has been very poor. I think there has certainly been scarcity of great ODI bowlers since retirement of Pollock, McGrath, Muralitharan and Bond.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I am not getting into a stats comparison but to me, as someone who has followed the game with a passion since the 90s, I don't see any reason to think the bowlers today are somehow inferior overall to the ones in the 90s and noughties. There may not be stand outs like the ones Sunilz mentioned but there are no Ian Harveys bowling 8 overs a game either.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Honestly, the standard of the game is much higher now than in the 90s. Batting is easier, granted, but more than that, batsmen have really worked on their games and have figured out the art of ODI batting. And this is true for a bunch of batsmen now compared to 4-5 in previous eras. That's what makes it different.
Yes. I have said this before. While we lament flat pitches and favorable fielding restrictions, we under appreciate how good batsmen have got at the mental game. Chasing big totals has become quite nerveless. 20 years back the nervousness when chasing totals in excess of 280 used to be palpable.