• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marnus Labuschagne’s ceiling...

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Ross Taylor averages 46, VVS Laxman 46, Misbah ul Haq 46, Kevin Pietersen 47, Gibbs 42, Ganguly 42, etc.
With the exception of KP none of those ever struck me as guys who would ever be 50+ averaging batsmen

I'm surprised most of them are as high as they are tbh

imzamam, sehwag and graeme smith were who i had in mind
those are much better examples

for Australia alone guys like Clarke and Martyn didn't end up averaging 50. Martyn had a patch around 2000-01 where he looked like Bradman much like Marnus is batting now.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just don't see how you've seen enough to say he won't make 50 though just yet. Did well in the ashes before the feast at home and is still quite young

mr_mister

Also I know plenty of blokes have had an awesome start to their career averaging over 63+ after 14 tests like Marnus has before falling away, but has anyone done it with zero not outs?

Flem274*

123/5
because the odds are stacked against him basically. as we've said, excellent batsmen still don't make it. you can be almost technically flawless with great innings to your name and an appetite for big tons and still average 45-49.

then there's the end of career potential nosedive e.g. ponting

TheJediBrah

I just don't see how you've seen enough to say he won't make 50 though just yet. Did well in the ashes before the feast at home and is still quite young
He's played for a year. Nothing is a big call at this stage, it's all pretty much conjecture. It's definitely not a big call to say he won't average 50.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Literally arguing semantics.

To HB, a left field pick is simply just someone who was picked despite not being an incumbent. Bumrah in tests might be another example of this. Few wanted him there but he surprised everyone.

Only a literal no-name being plucked out of street cricket a la Wasim is a left field pick up GAS.

Now shut the **** up.

I already did. :ph34r:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dunno if I wanna make calls about how much he will end up averaging but is it a big call if I say I feel #3 may not be his long term batting position?

EDIT: Not that I think he will fail, but maybe he strikes more as #5 than #3 to me.

mr_mister

I dunno if I wanna make calls about how much he will end up averaging but is it a big call if I say I feel #3 may not be his long term batting position?

EDIT: Not that I think he will fail, but maybe he strikes more as #5 than #3 to me.
A lot of people thought that during the ashes. Then he went and got 4 tons in 5 tests at 3 so it'd be odd to move him

TheJediBrah

Would be bizarre to move him from 3 or suggest that he's not a no. 3 after what he's just done at that position

Having said that I was calling for him to move down to 5 at the start of the summer too, proved me wrong

MrPrez

International Debutant
With the exception of KP none of those ever struck me as guys who would ever be 50+ averaging batsmen
... and neither does Marnus. That's my point.

Of course, I would never have seen Smith being a 40-averaging batasman let alone his current state so I'm by no means saying Marnus can't be a 50+ averaging batsman.

But 50+ batsmen are rare and at this point it's much more likely that Marnus is in a rich vein of form and will settle down into the category of the other players I've mentioned, than it is that he continues as he is now.

Certainly it would be a bigger call to assume he would end up a 50+ batsman after "just" 14 Tests, imo. Particularly given that he spent a good few years being good, but not great, at state level.

mr_mister

Just an insane rate of 50+ scores at the moment though.
And zero not outs

Its not a Voges style inflated average

stephen

Just an insane rate of 50+ scores at the moment though.
And zero not outs

Its not a Voges style inflated average
Maybe it is a case of not outs don't inflate averages and therefore Marnus has an inflated average.

Flem274*

123/5
Ah I see, well that's where I differ. Marnus does strike me as a 50+er, more than those guys you mentioned.
you rating marnus as more likely to average 50+ than vvs laxman after 14 tests says more about how you rate players than it does about anything else though

TheJediBrah

or an average is just an average and not outs have nothing to do with it

you rating marnus as more likely to average 50+ than vvs laxman after 14 tests says more about how you rate players than it does about anything else though
He's played for a year. Anything anyone says is prue conjecture. You using my opinion (ie. pure guess) as an attempt at a personal attack says more about you than anything else though.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Maybe it is a case of not outs don't inflate averages and therefore Marnus has an inflated average.
You know what I mean though.

12 fifty+ scores in 23 innings with a couple of dumb run outs to boot is the more impressive thing than whatever his average after such a small amount of innings

flibbertyjibber

The key with him like many players will be how he does on a turning track away from home which is out of an Aussies comfort zone. The two matches against Pakistan in his debut series are far too small a sample to say he will fail or be a success so until he plays a few series in those conditions we won't know. Looks the business against pace though.