• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Inaugural World Test Championship

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket is a dying sport in general in my opinion. Id even go as far to say that bat and ball sports are on the way out.

DriveClub

International Regular
That's just blatantly untrue. Bangladesh, Pakistan, India, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan have massive followings for Test cricket and are not rich countries.

It's an impractical sport to follow live on TV, or at a ground, but it's easy enough to consume day to day via scores, highlights, reports, etc.
That is for any sport. In this day and age thats how most people consume sport if they're working a 9-5 job. If you cant follow a game in the stadium then it's not geared towards mass consumption. There's nothing wrong in a sport being an elitist sport. Golf for example is another elitist sport. I would say test cricket should stop getting confused and accept itself for what it is.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket is still very much an elitist sport. To play for a team you need to shell out loads of cash for equipment, clothing (whites, colours, training tops), registration, match fees etc.

A lot more than soccer, for example.

Flem274*

123/5
doesn't matter, they're boring and no one cares enough to watch them. That's why they weren't given the WC.

ya hear that Flem
despite all this, mark chumpman or whatever he's called still chose us over hong kong
I think NZC are the ones who've basically given up on Test cricket in recent years, aren't they? Can't blame the Big 3 cartel for that. I'm sure India wouldn't mind hosting them for a 3 match series.
india have hosted us for 3 test series this decade, and yes you're right. our ceo david white is very much a modern businessman. if it's not making all the money (and i mean all the money) then it needs to go.

he wants to reduce domestic cricket as well.

Flem274*

123/5
Cricket is still very much an elitist sport. To play for a team you need to shell out loads of cash for equipment, clothing (whites, colours, training tops), registration, match fees etc.

a lot of nz state schools have a team kitbag that everyone can borrow from and share. i sure did. buy your own box and you're sweet.

cnerd123

likes this
cricket is an elitist sport in your countries because you all don't know what tapeball cricket is

every poor kid on the streets of subcontinental asia plays cricket growing up. Get rid of the need for leather balls, pads, helmets, and 13,000 square metres of clean cut grass, and you now have a sport that's accessible to everyone.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah the team i played for in junior cricket had a club kit bag. (I remember falling in love with Fisher bats thanks to that kit bag).

But i found once i started playing in Melbourne in a higher standard comp the costs started to skyrocket. Didnt help that the club would change sponsors each year, forcing you to buy new clothes every season.

aussie tragic

International Captain
cricket is an elitist sport in your countries because you all don't know what tapeball cricket is

every poor kid on the streets of subcontinental asia plays cricket growing up. Get rid of the need for leather balls, pads, helmets, and 13,000 square metres of clean cut grass, and you now have a sport that's accessible to everyone.
I grew up playing cricket at school with just 1 leg pad, no gloves or box. Facing our fastest bowlers was stupid in hindsight but fun at the time. I only played with a box, gloves and 2 pads when I was 13

Flem274*

123/5
cricket is an elitist sport in your countries because you all don't know what tapeball cricket is.
we know what tapeball is. we just don't play it.

variations here include jandal cricket and various suicidal forms of backyard or indoor cricket. your offies are welcome on the inconsistent bounce of our death chute here. much better than wides that rebound off the fence or garage towards your head.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Once you get past junior cricket, you really do need to invest quite a bit just to beable to step on to the field.

Not sure what div cricket is like in the SC, but the captain of the team i play for would crucify you if you showed up to a match not wearing a proper team shirt.

cnerd123

likes this
In the Subcontinent people will go their whole lives never playing hardball cricket.

Die hard cricket fans that play it regularly in all weather with a tennis ball.

Like, just check this **** out:

Cricket is only an elitist sport because your societies have made it that way. All you need is a bat and a ball and any amount of space.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm from ****ing England and my cricket career started with a bouncy ball, a shoe and the frame of a basketball hoop as a set of stumps.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Not here you don’t. Soccer is about the only sport in Australia where the revenue from juniors subsidises the national team and the top tier competition, rather than the other way around. Have you had to pay for kids’ soccer fees at any decent level? It’s obscene how much it costs to play

Burgey

In the Subcontinent people will go their whole lives never playing hardball cricket.

Die hard cricket fans that play it regularly in all weather with a tennis ball.

Like, just check this **** out:

Cricket is only an elitist sport because your societies have made it that way. All you need is a bat and a ball and any amount of space.
Wait. People play cricket with a tennis ball? A uniquely subcontinental experience, that. Unheard of any place else.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Not here you don’t. Soccer is about the only sport in Australia where the revenue from juniors subsidises the national team and the top tier competition, rather than the other way around. Have you had to pay for kids’ soccer fees at any decent level? It’s obscene how much it costs to play
Would have never guessed that. So the rego fees forthe junior squads goes into funding the seniors?

Burgey

Yeah, once you get beyond local park soccer, the rego fees get massive. My young bloke plays in the park and he gets hit up for about $180 per season, and that's purely local stuff. Once you get into youth leagues, academy squads etc, it's really exorbitant here. The youth national premier league fees are close to $2,500. The complaint is a lot of that is getting taken and spent on first league teams for the clubs in the State premier leagues. Here's an article about it:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer...bout-club-funding-models-20161103-gsh8pd.html

This article is pretty good too, even though it's Murdoch filth:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n...s/news-story/e31d0c10df541e81e04033927223ed4f

The tables on this site also show how expensive it is. I don't know how it evolved to this point, really, but it's pretty wild.

https://footballwest.com.au/guide-club-fees/

vcs

I wonder if Burgey's theory about WC knockouts will apply here also. #OnlyTheFinalCounts