• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The ATG Teams General arguing/discussing thread

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
My childhood favorite XI

David Boon
Graham Gooch
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Martin Crowe
Viv Richards
Kapil Dev
Dave Richardson
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald

Kapil, Viv and Curtly being the top 3.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah fair enough, that's a good side too. Akram a personal fave of mine so leaving him out was tough. Certainly would come in if I wanted some variation with a left armer, but Imran is to Wasim with the bat as Akram is to Ambrose I guess.
Heh. Who knows what Akram would do with the bat. Maybe score 257 again.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My childhood favourite XI. Mostly from the 90s which was most of my childhood. Had the poster of Lara-Sachin-Waugh together in a F1 scenario in my room for a very long time.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Saeed Anwar
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald

Some notable but not great omissions of some of my fav childhood players: Saqlain Mushtaq, Brian Mcmillan, Roger Twose, Nathan Astle, Graham Thorpe, Pat Symcox, Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My childhood favorite XI

David Boon
Graham Gooch
Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Martin Crowe
Viv Richards
Kapil Dev
Dave Richardson
Wasim Akram
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald

Kapil, Viv and Curtly being the top 3.
Couple of quality ‘taches up front there.

Last edited:

Burgey

My childhood favourite XI. Mostly from the 90s which was most of my childhood. Had the poster of Lara-Sachin-Waugh together in a F1 scenario in my room for a very long time.

Sanath Jayasuriya
Saeed Anwar
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald

Some notable but not great omissions of some of my fav childhood players: Saqlain Mushtaq, Brian Mcmillan, Roger Twose, Nathan Astle, Graham Thorpe, Pat Symcox, Brett Lee, Shoaib Akhtar
Wonderfully entertaining side. Would pay a lot of dough to watch that outfit go around.

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain

Sanath Jayasuriya
Saeed Anwar
Ricky Ponting
Sachin Tendulkar
Brian Lara
Steve Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Curtly Ambrose
Allan Donald

I remember Symcox giving me and my friend a pat on the shoulders when we went to catch a glimpse of the SA XI visiting one of my neighbourhood schools just before a warm up match during their 96 visit to India. Lovely bloke. The only reason he did not make my childhood XI was because I was a teenager at that time :)

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Was the 2019 NZ team the strongest ever side to lost a CWC final?

Other teams that come to mind are Windies 1983, Australia 1996 & India 2003.

vcs

Surely 2015 NZ take that distinction, winning all their matches till the final, and beating the eventual champions as well.

harsh.ag

Weakest side to make the final probably India 1983. Weakest side to lose the final England 1987.
Strongest side to lose the final - Windies 1983.

vcs

Pakistan '99 had a lot of star names but lost three matches on their way to the final, including a defeat to Bangladesh. India '03 were better.

harsh.ag

Plus they had a weak top-middle order. Some Wasti dude as second opener to Anwar, Abdul Razzaq at 3, Ijaz Ahmed on his last legs at 4. No Waqar either.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
It's tempting to say Pakistan '99, but one golden rule with Pakistan is no matter how strong/weak their side looks on paper, it's almost guaranteed that they will perform in the most unexpected way.