• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

38th Match - India v England

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pakistan (-0.792) especially need a pretty sizeable turnaround to better NZ (+0.572) though.

Not sure what that equates too in terms of wins and losses though.
Basically it's too big to realistically happen. Pakistan would need something like a 500 run win over Bangladesh. Bangladesh could conceivably overhaul NZ's net RR, but they still need to beat India first.

Last edited:

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Huge difference between chasing 233 and trying to chase down highest ever in WC. England have lost 3 times out of 4 while chasing. So this is not even close.
Still bizarre timing on your part to randomly bring up England's chasing capabilities when your team failed to chase down the score they set them though. We've been abysmal in our last few chases to be fair, but I don't think India's batting would have faired much better chasing against aus and pak.

hazsa19

International Regular
I feel like England should ultimately opt for the one spinner option from now on though. We just look a much better team when we have Plunkett there. Not really a batting downgrade either considering Ali's form.
Yeh 1 spinner from now on please, unless the pitch is very dry. Should also consider Ali over Rashid. He’s just not been himself, someone on comms mentioned a shoulder injury or something like that.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
Yeh 1 spinner from now on please, unless the pitch is very dry. Should also consider Ali over Rashid. He’s just not been himself, someone on comms mentioned a shoulder injury or something like that.
Yeah Rashid hasn't bowled badly at times. He weren't too bad today on a pitch that was obviously hard for spinners. He seems to have lost a little consistency though which I can definitely see being down to a subtle injury like that. Ali offers more control but probably won't roll through a team on a turning surface like the one in NZ vs Pak, which we could end up seeing if we make it to the later stages of the tournament

rythy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Still bizarre timing on your part to randomly bring up England's chasing capabilities when your team failed to chase down the score they set them though. We've been abysmal in our last few chases to be fair, but I don't think India's batting would have faired much better chasing against aus and pak.
That is not random actually. Have been telling this since last few matches. Even in the thread during England-Australia clash. And have put England on the verge of being knocked out (losing to SL, Pak and Aus while chasing). And many England fans too were of the opinion that England should bat first. How India would have faired against Aus/Pak while chasing is still assumption (many equations comes). But to be fair in this WC high score chase have been very rare except for the BD one against clueless WI.

rythy

School Boy/Girl Captain
Nasser asked Kohli at award ceremony: in last 5 overs the batsmen didn't look like they were trying. What was the approach.

Kohli's response: I don't know, you have to ask the 2 batsmen in the middle

lol. Didn't watched the post match. Kohli pissed off?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So were India not trying to win this? Judging by the scorecard that seems to be the case. Deliberately making sure Pakistan don't make it?

ImpatientLime

International Regular
I'm usually the first to s**t on Wood but he has had a pretty decent WC so far though hasn't he? Excluding this anyway. Just weren't his pitch. The taller bowlers were getting tennis ball bounce while his balls kept skidding along making him easier to face.

I feel like England should ultimately opt for the one spinner option from now on though. We just look a much better team when we have Plunkett there. Not really a batting downgrade either considering Ali's form.
looked like a pretty pointless medium pacer against australia as well.

bin him for good. nothing but a weird vanity project.

Burgey

So were India not trying to win this? Judging by the scorecard that seems to be the case. Deliberately making sure Pakistan don't make it?
Warrants a ban if it’s true. Throwing a game at the sport’s premier event. Disgraceful.

BSM

U19 Cricketer

Na he's done well. 3/40, 2/40, 3/18, 2/52 and 2/53 in his other WC games. Honestly didn't think he deserved to be in that squad but he is making some good returns. Whether Plunkett could have produced similar results had he been playing instead is a different question, but the pace of Wood together with Archer has certainly proved an effective and relentless combination

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd open with Pant for the rest of the tournament. Think he's a guy who could really come off in a knockout game, and it's a cliche but the left/right opening partnership does help

Rohit, Pant, Virat, Jadhav, DK, Pandya, Jadeja, Bhuvi, , Shami, Chahal, Bumrah

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer

What's happened to the Curran boy? He's pretty good at singing 'god save the queen', but I reckon he's got more than that. He's a decent gritty lower order bat with some bottle for a start.

Burner

International Regular
Kohli's sour grapes are the weirdest. Boundaries are sooo short they only hit one six the entire game. Come on

Burgey

I'd open with Pant for the rest of the tournament. Think he's a guy who could really come off in a knockout game, and it's a cliche but the left/right opening partnership does help

Rohit, Pant, Virat, Jadhav, DK, Pandya, Jadeja, Bhuvi, , Shami, Chahal, Bumrah
I don’t know if any of the teams will do much more Han tinker with their line ups from here on in, batting injury. They’ll back the blokes who’ve got them to the finals.

Spintolose

U19 Cricketer
Yeah, and use Root if they really need a few slow fill ins. He's outbowled both the spinners in the last 2 games he got a bowl anyway.

The whole playing Rashid and Ali thing was idiotic (they can't even keep the score down as a good spinner should do) and England lost 3 games without Super Liam.

BSM

U19 Cricketer
What's happened to the Curran boy? He's pretty good at singing 'god save the queen', but I reckon he's got more than that. He's a decent gritty lower order bat with some bottle for a start.
No room for him unfortunately. Wouldn't say that he deserves to be in instead of Wood, Archer, Woakes or Plunkett based on their performances, and playing 5 right-arm seamers would offer too little variety. With Archer having a slight niggle (thats being controlled well thankfully) and Wood being ever in danger of injury, he might yet get a chance in this tournament.