• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Basic questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
There really isn't a connection between the 2. The batting team sends in the next batsman based on the batting position and match situation.
Somebody told me that teams do not have batting orders that are established in advance, ie, that the batting team can use anyone who is still available when the time comes to put in a replacement batsmen. Did I get wrong info on that point?

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
No. That's correct info, and buy that person a beer
Ok. I just figured that teams could take advantage of that by getting a preferred matchup. If your opponent is starting a spell with bowler X whom you batsman Y does well against, then you might send Y to bat at some other time than you planned to before the test started. But then the opponent might then decide to use someone else. The question is who has to blink first?

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
A set lineup. And obvioulsy 100 mil contracts
Why is a set lineup pampering? IMHO, having a set lineup is advantageous to the defense because it can set its pitching (or even its roster) in advance. Also, batters don't get the luxury of having 8 hours off within the game before they bat or have to go out on defense.

And though $100m is nice if you can get it, it is really only one or two players per team at most. Many MLB teams don't have anyone currently with a $100m contract, though it is true that lots of them will earn that over a career.

Last edited:

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol...back to your question of who should blink first.

If batsman A is bad against spin, and he's just got into the middle after the fall of a wicket (and pace operating from both sides), Captain of the opposition will obviously bring in a spinner ASAP (next over).

There's a chance of Batsman A's partner to farm the strike, and hide Batsman A against the spinner.
Strategy. Mind games.

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lol...back to your question of who should blink first.

If batsman A is bad against spin, and he's just got into the middle after the fall of a wicket (and pace operating from both sides), Captain of the opposition will obviously bring in a spinner ASAP (next over).
Do you mean that the defense gets to choose its bowler after the batsman comes in to start a fresh over? I mention it because in basketball and ice hockey, the usual rule is that the home team gets to make its substitutions after the visitor does to get the matchups it wants. It is a little more complex in ice hockey because substitutions do not always involve dead balls, but at least some part of those sports is having the team you want facing the team they have.

There's a chance of Batsman A's partner to farm the strike, and hide Batsman A against the spinner.
Strategy. Mind games.
"Farm the strike" ????

SillyCowCorner1

Do you mean that the defense gets to choose its bowler after the batsman comes in to start a fresh over? I mention it because in basketball and ice hockey, the usual rule is that the home team gets to make its substitutions after the visitor does to get the matchups it wants. It is a little more complex in ice hockey because substitutions do not always involve dead balls, but at least some part of those sports is having the team you want facing the team they have.
Here is the thing. At the toss, both teams' lineups are exchanged. 11 players. Within those eleven, all are eligible to bat and bowl. The 'defense' in this case (the bowling team) can only bowl any of the eleven on the list. They can't bring in any of the other players sitting out the game (12th, 13th, and 14th man). And the battles ensues.

"Farm the strike" ????
Batsman A's partner hides him from facing the spinner by batting every ball of the spinner's over. In order to get to face the spinner, Batsman A's partner have to be there at the start of the spinner's over.

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
Do club teams and/or national teams have signature styles? Maybe a style that is so unique that you could tell what team it is even if the players and teams weren't easily identifiable in non-specific uniforms? That is ostensibly a big thing in soccer and NFL games, though I really can't see that when I watch.

cnerd123

likes this
There really isn't a connection between the 2. The batting team sends in the next batsman based on the batting position and match situation.
Actually the correct procedure is that the new batsman has to be in, and then the bowling side can pick who bowls. Usually we don't have an issue with this at professional cricket, but I've seen this come up in club level.

TheJediBrah

Actually the correct procedure is that the new batsman has to be in, and then the bowling side can pick who bowls. Usually we don't have an issue with this at professional cricket, but I've seen this come up in club level.
How could that possibly be an issue? Surely it's common knowledge that the fielding team can change the bowler whenever they want as long as it's not in the middle of an over?

cnerd123

likes this
Well basically n00bs like rodk trying to be cheeky till someone reminds them that the 'Timed Out' dismissal exists

rodk

School Boy/Girl Captain
Ok. I didn't figure it to be significant in the middle of a game, but I have been seeing some very close t20's where the chase might turn on one or two bowls and it occurred to me that getting maximum advantage from matchups might be a thing.

Is there a scenario (more likely for limited over contests) in which the batting side declares its batsman out so it can get a preferred matchup?

Status
Not open for further replies.