• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A different kind of test cricket DRAFT

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I'm fine with it. I think your 31 years rule should be adjusted accordingly, atm West Indies early 1950s squad is unavaible (with the 3 W's and Ramadin/Valentine) because its technically within 31 years of 1979 despite none of those players even making it 1969 let alone 1979.

So discretion should be used I think.
Yeah and no-one can take early 1930's England either, which is a stupidly good squad.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, since the earliest debutants in my squad are Hutton and Compton who debuted in '37, anything from 1936 prior should be acceptable.

mr_mister

XI I'm thinking of running:

Hutton *
Cowdrey
Barrington
Compton
May
Bailey (5)
Evans +
Bedser (3)
Tyson (2)
Trueman (1)
Laker (4)

Statham, Lock, Wardle, Edrich and Graveney all missing out for pete's sake. Will be interesting to play around with this team if we make it to Round 2

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My probable XI:

Greenidge
Haynes
Richards
Kallicharan
Lloyd
Rowe
Murray
Marshall
Garner
Holding
Roberts

Wish that they blooded Dujon a bit earlier. Trouble with picking 84 (for example) was that Roberts was gone as were the Rebel Tour guys, which counteracts the availability of Richardson, Dujon and Walsh (who wouldn't make this side anyway).

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Well I'm fine with it. I think your 31 years rule should be adjusted accordingly, atm West Indies early 1950s squad is unavaible (with the 3 W's and Ramadin/Valentine) because its technically within 31 years of 1979 despite none of those players even making it 1969 let alone 1979.

So discretion should be used I think.
We can reduce it I guess as long as any player in the squad does not collide

mr_mister

Yeah, this way someone might even be able to sneak in a decent '90s Windies team as well, if they wait til after Viv/Haynes were done they get Ambrose/Walsh/Lara and um... yeah maybe not worth it

mr_mister

But more importantly, now a solid 1970's aussie team can be chosen

great draft idea Andy, I'm excited for the simming part

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
A bit of a change of rule that as long as the players dont collide, you can select any year

So guys who selected a year previously are now allowed to reshuffle the chosen year

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
After looking at a lot of years surrounding this one, England's 1955 gives me the best available squad. England were spoilt for choice in the 1950s
yeah this was my 3rd choice team when I started (I got my 1st in the end), wanted to find the year that had Hutton, Trueman and Laker.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Wow so I'll have to change who I was going to go with, one moment. Do I have to have players who didn't play during the years of any player from the another team? So say WI '79, with Clive Lloyd playing in '66 would mean no player I chose could have a career that went til '66?

Last edited:

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Wow so I'll have to change who I was going to go with, one moment. Do I have to have players who didn't play during the years of any player from the another team? So say WI '79, with Clive Lloyd playing in '66 would mean no player I chose could have a career that went til '66?
No, it just means you can't pick, say, WI '66 as you'd then have Clive Lloyd and he's already in another squad.