• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Warne v Murlie

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
THEY SHOULD ALL BE CALLED FOR CHUCKING!!!!
Great attitude. Glad you're not an umpire.

Having actually looked at the scientific evidence (hey I'm a scientist; I have connections......), though it wasn't a rigorous investigation, guys like Murali, Brett and especially Shoaib have been emancipated after it has been proved that they do NOT throw under any definition of the law.

The ONLY slightly dodgy part of Murali's action is when he bowls his top-spinner which goes away from the bat. Because it's such an awkward ball to bowl (especially for someone like him), his action is slightly dubious there. Other than that, they do NOT throw. The APPEARANCE of their throwing is an optical illusion because they all share a physical abnormality; they have unusually long radius and ulnar bones in their lower arms. This is part of where their pace comes from but in Murali's arm, it's an explanation for why he cannot totally straighten his arm.

In the fast bowling case, the exended Ulnar and radius mean there arms can hyper extend for than usual when they roll their arms over to bowl the ball. In Shoaib's case, his arm hyper-exends some 40 degrees THE WRONG WAY. Brett's arm hyper-extends somewhere in the vicinity of 25 degrees past straight, which is still around 15 degrees more than the average person.

In short, YOU try bowling at their pace and see if your arm doesn't hyper-extend even a little bit.

[Edited on 4/11/02 by Top_Cat]

Paid The Umpire

All Time Legend
OK. I admit that maybe I am a bit 'evil' and I personally am I pretty good umpire (not professionally or anything) but maybe I just don't like Murili.

Here are my points on Chucking:

1) The umpire at each game must have total control. If they call it a throw then it is a throw! The should not have to go to a commitee etc and explain themselves.
2) Each game should be treated as different. If in a certain game Brett Lee is called for throwing, then he is chucking it. It could just be that that one game was a fluke.
3) Murili chcuking or not, is still a fine bowler. You can't say that 5-9 (10) is purely the result of his throwing it.

OK. Truce everyone?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But the problem is, some nations don't accept the official's decision do they?

Not thinking of Sri Lanka / India here!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
"Guys like Murali, Brett and especially Shoaib have been emancipated"

So they got to vote then ?

I think you mean exonerated]?

[Edited on 4/12/02 by Neil Pickup]

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Regarding the hyper-extensions, in Murali's case it was caused by an elbow injury wasn't it?

I reckon that's valid because I broke my left elbow last year and that one now extends backwards more than the right (still not by much at all but hey...).

I bowl right handed though so it doesn't help much!!

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1) The umpire at each game must have total control. If they call it a throw then it is a throw! The should not have to go to a commitee etc and explain themselves.
Well players livelihood depends on their ability to play and if an umpire calls a player and his selection chances were hurt by this, the ICC, the umpire and theboard who appointed him/her would be liable for damages in terms of lost earnings etc.

This is exactly why you need an objective arbitration which looks at all of the evidence so as to protect those who would call a player. hat way, if the person still wants to sue, the defence would be able to point at all of the scientific etc. evidence which justifies their call to penalise a player who breaks the game's 'laws'. This is why the process is neccessary.

Believe me, I would prefer that umpires did all the work too. I mean, what the heck are they out there for? Human error is what makes the game more pure in my opinion but I guess that's not tolerated these days. Sad.

"Guys like Murali, Brett and especially Shoaib have been emancipated"

So they got to vote then ?

I think you mean exonerated]?
Indeed I did. I had a brain fart at the time! :D

Regarding the hyper-extensions, in Murali's case it was caused by an elbow injury wasn't it?
I thought so until I saw a photo where he was able to do the same thing with both arms. Not sure anymore. I saw Shoaib Akhtar do a similar thing when asked to demonstrate how far he could extend his arm the wrong way.

I reckon that's valid because I broke my left elbow last year and that one now extends backwards more than the right (still not by much at all but hey...).
And that's exactly why the law needs to be changed. Right now, it doesn't matter whether you 'bend and then straighten' from a straightened position or a hyper-extended position; all that matters is that you bend and straighten. So under the strictest definition of the law, all three of those chuck. However, I think calling a player for that because he can bend his arm back 40 degrees back the wrong way is a little stupid because it's not his INTENTION to chuck, just a freak of nature. Ergo, the law needs to be defined more clearly. Having an independent arbitration of the action is a step in the right direction but the process is just too slow right now, where someone with a genuinely dodgy action may have played 10-15 one-dayers and a couple of Tests in between the time when the action was question and him ultimately banned from playing. Sometimes all that is needed is minor corrections so players deserve better than that.

Kimbo

International Debutant
no matter whether murlie was or wasn't chucking, ranatunga is a lying scumbag anyway- does anyone else remember the time he dropped a catch against nz, fumbled around on the ground and picked it up and claimed it, luckily the 3rd ump picked this up clearly

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Darren Gough can write?!! 8D

To answer the question, no. Just Warney's (in four hours) and Dickie Bird's first and second volumes.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
rightfully said before

I think Murali will win the race because he bowls bulk of the overs eg 30-40 overs , whereas in australia there are quality bowlers like mcgrath , gillespie, lee etc

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
What's Dickie Bird's like? Is it all, "I remember time at t'Headingley, when young Darren were bowlin' from t'my end......"

Typical Dickie.

Umpire Money

State Vice-Captain
Murili is a chucker. Ive been an umpire for two years, damn it.

Brett Lee doesnt chuck cause he doesnt extend his arm all the way, it is the same all the way through his action.

So boo to u 8D 8D

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
some of you guys are ancient. i wasnt even using the internet in 2002 and you guys were on a forum

btw my fave comment about murali is that he got '800 run outs'