• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South African Domestic Season 2014/15

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, AB and de Kock aside it’s pretty much only real quicks (Steyn, Morne, de Lange) who had a test debut after a few games. Steyn played test cricket after 7 FC games, Morne after 15 and de Lange after 14 (and de Lange only played 4 franchise games before test debut). Whereas Elgar had to score 15+ hundreds before selection, van Zyl 6,000+ FC runs and Bavuma had been playing FC for 6 years before debuting at PE.

jan

State Vice-Captain
SeamUp, Id like to ask about south african wicketkeepers.

1. who is considered the best gloveman?
2. and who the best batting wicketkeeper?
3. could these guys keep the wicket at international level should ABdV/QdK be theoretically unavailable?

Cheers

Rasimione

U19 Captain
SeamUp, Id like to ask about south african wicketkeepers.

1. who is considered the best gloveman?
2. and who the best batting wicketkeeper?
3. could these guys keep the wicket at international level should ABdV/QdK be theoretically unavailable?

Cheers
Dane Villas and Rudi Second. I'd back those guys to make the cut.

Marius

International Debutant
Dane Villas and Rudi Second. I'd back those guys to make the cut.
Dane Vilas is getting on a bit now, so I think Rudi Second is perhaps next in line.

Heino Kuhn has been in good form with the bat but also doesn't keep any more. The guy who's bumped him at the Titans is Mangaliso Mosehle, and he's pretty good, should see him at least in the SA A side at some point.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
Dane Vilas is getting on a bit now, so I think Rudi Second is perhaps next in line.

Heino Kuhn has been in good form with the bat but also doesn't keep any more. The guy who's bumped him at the Titans is Mangaliso Mosehle, and he's pretty good, should see him at least in the SA A side at some point.
I'm not convinced by his batting at all.

Marius

International Debutant
Yes. Compared with the other players his batting stats don't look too good. Second seems to have the inside track now. Haven't seen him bat so i can't comment that much about him.
Yeah, and Second played for the SA A side so you must assume he's next in the pecking order after De Kock.

Mosehlhe did just get 93* off 36 balls in a T20 match between Easterns and Northerns, so there is something there I think.

Mangaliso Mosehle | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

SeamUp

International Coach
With the boys above that Rudi Second is probably next in line for the longer version. Have doubts about his limited overs game even though he is doing quite well there this season. If I am honest I think in the long run Clyde Fortuin (from the last u19 WC) will be geared up to the back up glove-man in all formats down the line. Very, very good gloveman. He has the batting ability too. Can go far unlike the two above who I think have their limitations.

I've been doing some thinking, we may have brought back some old heads like van Wyk and Ontong but I imagine post WC we shouldn't see much of them again.
I think it will be too late for guys like Puttick and Cook at 34 and 32 respectively in tests. They will probably go to van Zyl first and even he doesn't do well he will revert back to 3-6 positions and they will go to Reeza Hendricks.
Rory Kleinveldt is 31 and had weight issues, will stick to Abbott and Rabada as reserve test paceman with de Lange around and then I would consider blooding younger guys around the group.
Guys like Beuran Hendricks, Hardus Viljoen and Chris Morris probably blow hot and cold far too much and their best is probably not as devastating as a de Lange in my opinion. At their ages getting too many injuries possibly holding them back. de Lange had a fairly injury free season and can be utilized more in limited overs cricket.
Levi in limited overs cricket has been doing well but you just feel spin will forever be too good for him. The best spin that is.
Wiese , I've never been sold on him. Think he couldn't get into the SA team as just a bowler or just a batter whereas younger all-rounders like Galiem, Savage & Phehlukwayo can down the line.

MY FUTURE GROUP GOING INTO THE NEXT 4 TO 5 YEARS FOR SA

Batsmen

Stiaan van Zyl (27) [Cobras]
Hashim Amla (31) [Cobras]
Jean-Paul Duminy (30) [Cobras]
David Miller (25) [Dolphins]
Reeza Hendricks (25) [Knights]
Rilee Rossouw (25) [Knights]
Temba Bavuma (24) [Lions]
Ryan Rickelton (18) [Lions]
Dean Elgar (27) [Titans]
Francois du Plessis (30) [Titans]
Abraham de Villiers (30) [Titans]
Theunis de Bruyn (22) [Titans]
Aiden Markram (20) [Titans]

Keepers

Quinton de Kock (22) [Lions]
Clyde Fortuin (19) [Cobras]

All-rounders

Vernon Philander (29) [Cobras]
Dayyaan Galiem (17) [Cobras]
Wayne Parnell (25) [Warriors]
Calvin Savage (21) [Dolphins]
Andile Phehlukwayo (18) [Dolphins]

Spinners

Dane Piedt (24) [Cobras]
George Linde (23) [Cobras]
Simon Harmer (25) [Warriors]
Imran Tahir (35) [Dolphins]
Prenelan Subrayen (21) [Dolphins]
Aaron Phangiso (30) [Lions]

Seamers

Dale Steyn (31) [Cobras]
Kyle Abbott (27) [Dolphins]
Daryn Dupavillon (20) [Dolphins]
Kagiso Rabada (19) [Lions]
Brandon Glover (17) [Lions]
Morne Morkel (30) [Titans]
Marchant de Lange (24) [Titans]

Rasimione

U19 Captain
With the boys above that Rudi Second is probably next in line for the longer version. Have doubts about his limited overs game even though he is doing quite well there this season. If I am honest I think in the long run Clyde Fortuin (from the last u19 WC) will be geared up to the back up glove-man in all formats down the line. Very, very good gloveman. He has the batting ability too. Can go far unlike the two above who I think have their limitations.

I've been doing some thinking, we may have brought back some old heads like van Wyk and Ontong but I imagine post WC we shouldn't see much of them again.
I think it will be too late for guys like Puttick and Cook at 34 and 32 respectively in tests. They will probably go to van Zyl first and even he doesn't do well he will revert back to 3-6 positions and they will go to Reeza Hendricks.
Rory Kleinveldt is 31 and had weight issues, will stick to Abbott and Rabada as reserve test paceman with de Lange around and then I would consider blooding younger guys around the group.
Guys like Beuran Hendricks, Hardus Viljoen and Chris Morris probably blow hot and cold far too much and their best is probably not as devastating as a de Lange in my opinion. At their ages getting too many injuries possibly holding them back. de Lange had a fairly injury free season and can be utilized more in limited overs cricket.
Levi in limited overs cricket has been doing well but you just feel spin will forever be too good for him. The best spin that is.
Wiese , I've never been sold on him. Think he couldn't get into the SA team as just a bowler or just a batter whereas younger all-rounders like Galiem, Savage & Phehlukwayo can down the line.

MY FUTURE GROUP GOING INTO THE NEXT 4 TO 5 YEARS FOR SA

Batsmen

Stiaan van Zyl (27) [Cobras]
Hashim Amla (31) [Cobras]
Jean-Paul Duminy (30) [Cobras]
David Miller (25) [Dolphins]
Reeza Hendricks (25) [Knights]
Rilee Rossouw (25) [Knights]
Temba Bavuma (24) [Lions]
Ryan Rickelton (18) [Lions]
Dean Elgar (27) [Titans]
Francois du Plessis (30) [Titans]
Abraham de Villiers (30) [Titans]
Theunis de Bruyn (22) [Titans]
Aiden Markram (20) [Titans]

Keepers

Quinton de Kock (22) [Lions]
Clyde Fortuin (19) [Cobras]

All-rounders

Vernon Philander (29) [Cobras]
Dayyaan Galiem (17) [Cobras]
Wayne Parnell (25) [Warriors]
Calvin Savage (21) [Dolphins]
Andile Phehlukwayo (18) [Dolphins]

Spinners

Dane Piedt (24) [Cobras]
George Linde (23) [Cobras]
Simon Harmer (25) [Warriors]
Imran Tahir (35) [Dolphins]
Prenelan Subrayen (21) [Dolphins]
Aaron Phangiso (30) [Lions]

Seamers

Dale Steyn (31) [Cobras]
Kyle Abbott (27) [Dolphins]
Daryn Dupavillon (20) [Dolphins]
Kagiso Rabada (19) [Lions]
Brandon Glover (17) [Lions]
Morne Morkel (30) [Titans]
Marchant de Lange (24) [Titans]
Interesting insight @SeamUp. I'm intrigued that Savage still ranks highly in your reckoning seeing as he struggles to even make his Franchise team. Dayyan Galiem is getting massive raps from people in the know. Is he a bowling All Rounder? And how fast does he bowl. As for Phehlukwayo, i have yet to see him play at all. How good is he? In the fast bowling stakes I'm betting on Dupavillon. At his age to be getting fifers is no mean feat.

But an area that has concerned me greatly is in our all rounders. In previous years we had a fair number of batting and bowling all rounders. But it seems the supply line has been cut off. We simply don't have any batting allrounders. Wiese for me does not count. He's the definition of a bits and pieces player.

Our teams always had quality allrounders. I just hope down the line we will unearth a genuine batting and bowling one.

SeamUp

International Coach
Interesting insight @SeamUp. I'm intrigued that Savage still ranks highly in your reckoning seeing as he struggles to even make his Franchise team. Dayyan Galiem is getting massive raps from people in the know. Is he a bowling All Rounder? And how fast does he bowl. As for Phehlukwayo, i have yet to see him play at all. How good is he? In the fast bowling stakes I'm betting on Dupavillon. At his age to be getting fifers is no mean feat.

But an area that has concerned me greatly is in our all rounders. In previous years we had a fair number of batting and bowling all rounders. But it seems the supply line has been cut off. We simply don't have any batting allrounders. Wiese for me does not count. He's the definition of a bits and pieces player.

Our teams always had quality allrounders. I just hope down the line we will unearth a genuine batting and bowling one.
Savage has had severe injury problems and when in the Dolphins team at 19/20 showed huge potential. He is so well thought of, that even after his bad injury he got while playing for the Dolphins, they still gave him a new deal 3 year deal. Would say he has the capability to bat 6. He can swing and seam the ball from a good height.

Galiem , like Savage, has ability to bat 6. His bowling is no great pace but really skillful. But in saying that he is an athlete so can get quicker. Swings the ball both ways.

Phehlukwayo at this stage probably more of a pure aggressor with the bat where as the 2 above can bat time. Like Galiem, built like an athlete and has a nice strong action so will get quicker if needs be. Saw him bowl some nice slower balls yesterday which the pitch required. Klusener would have liked that.

Think those are our best hopes for all-rounders to have ability to make a difference at the highest level coming through the system.

SeamUp

International Coach
England Lions tour to SA is over. Results | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
Didnt follow this one. Any worthy conclusion from it?
You want to be a batsman if you are a cricketer ! :laugh:

It seems like Reeza v Stiaan for test opener.
Theunis de Bruyn is gun & Gihahn Cloete got his first SA 'A' hundred but needs more consistency.
Morris surprised me with his batting and bowling because he has been so hot and cold since returning from injury.
Beuran Hendrick's has totally lost the plot since his injury.
Start promoting more youth to SA 'A' set-up. With the talent around I see no reason to go back to Ontong's, Puttick's , van Wyk's, Kleinveldt's, McLaren's etc

Watching these youngsters like Savage, Phehlukwayo and Dupavillon for the Dolphins today on tv just gets juices flowing with their potential.

Stick to the current boys in the SA set-ups with maybe 1 or 2 more with the young talent of Markram, Rickelton, Cloete, de Bruyn, de Kock, Savage, Galiem , Phehlukwayo, Linde, Rabada and Dupavillon. Exciting times.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
So it is a re-match for the pool game today between the Dolphins and Titans at Kingsmead on Tuesday to see who plays the Cobras in the final at Newlands.

Titans missing de Lange badly after he picked up a niggle in last SA 'A' game. Huge disappointment to him that he couldn't stay injury free. Probably will be the story of his career.

The Dolphins will probably bring back Smit, Frylinck & Alexander for Nipper, Savage & Moreki but who knows. Ryan McLaren may be fit to return to.

Marius

International Debutant
You want to be a batsman if you are a cricketer ! :laugh:

It seems like Reeza v Stiaan for test opener.
Theunis de Bruyn is gun & Gihahn Cloete got his first SA 'A' hundred but needs more consistency.
Morris surprised me with his batting and bowling because he has been so hot and cold since returning from injury.
Beuran Hendrick's has totally lost the plot since his injury.
Start promoting more youth to SA 'A' set-up. With the talent around I see no reason to go back to Ontong's, Puttick's , van Wyk's, Kleinveldt's, McLaren's etc

Watching these youngsters like Savage, Phehlukwayo and Dupavillon for the Dolphins today on tv just gets juices flowing with their potential.

Stick to the current boys in the SA set-ups with maybe 1 or 2 more with the young talent of Markram, Rickelton, Cloete, de Bruyn, de Kock, Savage, Galiem , Phehlukwayo, Linde, Rabada and Dupavillon. Exciting times.
We're looking really for the future, some really good youngsters coming through.

Exciting times, indeed.

SeamUp

International Coach
We're looking really for the future, some really good youngsters coming through.

Exciting times, indeed.
Quotas & playing average seniors got the better of the Dolphins in the play-off game. Players like Delport, Smit, Frylinck are just holding back the likes of Savage and Duapvillon as talented 'white players' but they are seen as 'seniors' which can be seen as true. But you can also look at the quota side and Moreki playing because they need 5 players of colour. Can't make **** like this up.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Quotas & playing average seniors got the better of the Dolphins in the play-off game. Players like Delport, Smit, Frylinck are just holding back the likes of Savage and Duapvillon as talented 'white players' but they are seen as 'seniors' which can be seen as true. But you can also look at the quota side and Moreki playing because they need 5 players of colour. Can't make **** like this up.
Are there explicit sanctions for not having these 5 of colour? A huge fine and loss of points or something like that?

Marius

International Debutant
Morekei didn't do too badly though, all things considered.

I like the look of Phehlukwayo though.

SeamUp

International Coach
Are there explicit sanctions for not having these 5 of colour? A huge fine and loss of points or something like that?
There definitely would be. Government has made sure CSA has had the relevant agreements in place with the franchises.

Morekei didn't do too badly though, all things considered.

I like the look of Phehlukwayo though.
At the end of the day Dupavillon is the better talent with international potential & missed out because of Moreki.

Phehlukwayo showing obvious talent and growth in his bowling game. Needs to up his work with his batting because probably more of an aggressive good striker of the ball whereas Savage and Galiem can play time at the crease with the bat.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Deano carrying over his sweet touch from SA 'A' over to the Titans in the final. They need him badly here like they did the last 2 games.