• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand Domestic Season 2014/15

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
Hamish Rutherford missing a couple of games to get laser surgery on his eyes - so he doesn't have to wear contacts anymore. Wonder if that'll affect his batting at all.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Definitely a good idea imo. I wear some good disposable contacts with a recently updated prescription and they're great, however they still dry out if it's windy or sunny and will occasionally start slipping around the eyes. That said I don't know that Rutherford's main batting problems are hand-eye related. If anything it just removes something that might distract him.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Free to a good home: We are having a clean-up over Waitangi weekend as a baby will soon be taking over our lives. If there is a Wellington CWer who would like a fairly complete set of NZ cricket almanacs from between about 1987 and 2008, then you are very welcome to them. Just send me a PM to arrange a pickup.

Howsie

International Captain
I've always liked the look of Kyle Jamieson so good to see him get a game. Early call but I reckon he'll go on to play for NZ at some point, especially in the limited overs stuff.

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
With 7 of the 10 round being played from Feb onwards, this Plunket Shield could be decided by the spinners this year.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Free to a good home: We are having a clean-up over Waitangi weekend as a baby will soon be taking over our lives. If there is a Wellington CWer who would like a fairly complete set of NZ cricket almanacs from between about 1987 and 2008, then you are very welcome to them. Just send me a PM to arrange a pickup.
Hey Binkers, we had our first bub about 7 months ago. Might be able to do you a swap for some baby paraphernalia if that might float your boat.

HeathDavisSpeed

Wellington are a disgraceful cricket province. Some 32 year old failed Ranji Trophy player Deepak Joon is apparently in line to play today. FMD chuck these clowns out already. Over half their squad for this round are imports, they add nothing to NZ cricket and have the worst coach in the provincial game.
Can't really disagree, but Joon is probably one of the least annoying imports that have arrived under Siddons and Stuart. Also strange for the guy from the Province which is effectively South Africa C to be complaining about playing non-native players, but that doesn't evade the fact that Cricket Wellington are really poor supporters and managers of cricket in Wellington. In fact, they're a ****ing shambles.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Can't really disagree, but Joon is probably one of the least annoying imports that have arrived under Siddons and Stuart. Also strange for the guy from the Province which is effectively South Africa C to be complaining about playing non-native players, but that doesn't evade the fact that Cricket Wellington are really poor supporters and managers of cricket in Wellington. In fact, they're a ****ing shambles.
I love a good Howsie bash but who are the SA C players you're referring to? Watling's been here since he was 10, so I don't think he counts.

I refuse to believe there's not a decently-young opener in Wellington who isn't a 32-year-old failed domestic player 8 years ago. So weak. Wellington Cricket should have KPIs in Siddons' contract that pertain to national selection and home-grown talent, not just results (for which he's largely been ****e anyway, until the last 12 months)

HeathDavisSpeed

Hard to disagree with this. Add to the fact that they have two players in the WC squad, neither of whom are naturalised Kiwis or raised in the province. Their coach is the issue, no real interest in feeding the national side. All about him
I was responding to this post of yours really, Steve with the South Africa C comment, but I'm not invested in protecting Cricket Wellington so it was a pretty halfhearted effort on my part I'm afraid.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I was responding to this post of yours really, Steve with the South Africa C comment, but I'm not invested in protecting Cricket Wellington so it was a pretty halfhearted effort on my part I'm afraid.
Hahaha, play on then, sir - fair comment. In the defence of the Saffers, none of them apart from CDG were first-class players or even near it when they arrived in Auckland. And even then it was Zim-ball. Not half-pie, past-their-best imports like Hutchinson, this Indian bloke, Day, Jayde Herrick etc. Although we'd all prefer them to Lance Dry.

Howsie

International Captain
I thought this Bocock chap from ND was supposed to be one of the next-big-things a couple of years back.
I don't know about being the next big thing, but he had the talent and ability to be playing first class cricket years ago. Let's just say he preferred to be out having a good time and not showing up to club games in his teenage and early 20's though.

Chubb

International Regular
I love a good Howsie bash but who are the SA C players you're referring to? Watling's been here since he was 10, so I don't think he counts.

I refuse to believe there's not a decently-young opener in Wellington who isn't a 32-year-old failed domestic player 8 years ago. So weak. Wellington Cricket should have KPIs in Siddons' contract that pertain to national selection and home-grown talent, not just results (for which he's largely been ****e anyway, until the last 12 months)
There are decent young openers. Decent young middle order players too. An Onslow opener did well for Wellington City & is in good form for the seniors. Worse players have got FC games.

They also could have got Rob Newton in who has scored FC hundreds in county cricket & is still pretty young and playing for Jville.

In fairness to Joon personally tho, he looked solid when I was there and got 55. He also does a decent amount of work for Collegians, coaching etc. that doesn't mean he should have played .

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
maybe the firebucks are needed to rescue welly from themselves after all. problem is any such side would be called the wellungton firebucks and coached by siddons which would ruin two domestic teams

Howsie

International Captain
His international career was over a long time ago, nobody cares. I'm sure Siddons will find a club all rounder in Australia somewhere to replace him.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There are decent young openers. Decent young middle order players too. An Onslow opener did well for Wellington City & is in good form for the seniors. Worse players have got FC games.

They also could have got Rob Newton in who has scored FC hundreds in county cricket & is still pretty young and playing for Jville.

In fairness to Joon personally tho, he looked solid when I was there and got 55. He also does a decent amount of work for Collegians, coaching etc. that doesn't mean he should have played .
There you go - there was options. I don't care if Joon scored a snail's pace 50, he's going to hold back a young local player's chance at a very valuable few games of FC cricket. For what? I do value if he's contributing at club level, however. I presume Rob Newton is an overseas import too? He played in Auckland a couple of years back, pretty unsuccessfully.

Siddons has **** all over NZ cricket's future since he arrived. Plucking no names from overseas, talking down our country's ability to play spin, adjusting techniques to suit domestic form not international, failing to advance young talent, bemoaning non-selection of under-performing senior players etc.

For anyone in the vault, look at Rob O'Donnell's six - absolutely outrageous.

jcas0167

International Debutant

Yes, Siddons has previously indicated he rates Henry Walsh pretty highly. He rarely gets a game though. They could have perhaps opened with Pollard and had Walsh or Matt Taylor play in the middle order.

What he's seen of Walsh he likes, though. "We see him as a future Black Cap, but he's certainly not there yet."