• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

Swingpanzee

International Regular
That match was so diappointing. Federer was in awesome form that tournament, right from his first match I had the feeling that that tourney was his for the taking. Had he won that first set....

Nadal played well as he always does against Fed, but I will always see that as a huge lost opportunity for Fed to beat him in the FO.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
if nadal is healthy enough to play, he will always beat fed...that is the one match i think he always goes in expecting to lose...such is nadal's psychological stranglehold over him...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That match was so diappointing. Federer was in awesome form that tournament, right from his first match I had the feeling that that tourney was his for the taking. Had he won that first set....

Nadal played well as he always does against Fed, but I will always see that as a huge lost opportunity for Fed to beat him in the FO.
If you can't win a set from 5-2 and 2 set points or whatever he had, he wasn't taking 3 sets off Rafa. He'd played his final in the semi.

Swingpanzee

International Regular
if nadal is healthy enough to play, he will always beat fed...that is the one match i think he always goes in expecting to lose...such is nadal's psychological stranglehold over him...
Eh. Would pick Fed to beat him on an indoor surface.

And Jono, yeah that's why I found the final so diappointing...that semi-final was so awesome it was never likely he could replicate that magic in the final.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Eh. Would pick Fed to beat him on an indoor surface.
except he lost the last time they met indoors...that was the last frontier for federer after nadal started beating him regularly on grass and hard courts...it does not mean that nadal is the better player on grass or hard court, he clearly isn't, means that federer has a big mental block against nadal that has just kept growing bigger over the years...

Swingpanzee

International Regular
except he lost the last time they met indoors...that was the last frontier for federer after nadal started beating him regularly on grass and hard courts...it does not mean that nadal is the better player on grass or hard court, he clearly isn't, means that federer has a big mental block against nadal that has just kept growing bigger over the years...
so just because nadal beat fed the last time they played indoors (that was in 2013 of all years, fed's worst by far) you would pick nadal to beat him everytime now indoors?

agree with you that if they met in any of the gs then nadal would beat fed in 3 or 4. but indoors i would still back fed.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And Jono, yeah that's why I found the final so diappointing...that semi-final was so awesome it was never likely he could replicate that magic in the final.
If Fed plays as good as he did vs. Novak in the 2011 French semi he still loses to Nadal though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Can't believe Ana lost. Actually heaps of quality lost today - Ivanovic, Kerber, Safarova, Lisicki - i wouldn't have been surprised to see any of them in the fourth round/quarters. Pavlyuchenkova and Bencic also lost as seeds..

dermo

International Vice-Captain
im not sure what riggins' opinion on the matter is but i really struggle to support a bloke with the haircut/eyebrow slits/jewellery of kyrgios

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder how much the crowd matters in that situation, they were so involved at the end. Something commentators play up a lot and maybe exaggerate but I was watching with just crowd noise and no commentary and they were so loud, and so hostile to Gulbis. Had to have an effect. And he was responding to them too, telling them to shut up etc.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wonder how much the crowd matters in that situation, they were so involved at the end. Something commentators play up a lot and maybe exaggerate but I was watching with just crowd noise and no commentary and they were so loud, and so hostile to Gulbis. Had to have an effect. And he was responding to them too, telling them to shut up etc.
Gulbis is a loose cannon. He's the type of player that an outside court crowd atmosphere like that would affect. Would affect a Robredo or Gilles Simon less.