• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Beginning?

Has Australia reached the beginning of another great era?

• Yes, it's the beginning of a great era.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • No, it's a 'flash in the pan'.

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

Slifer

International Captain
No no no, we r comparing this team to Waugh/Taylor teams, and whether this team will/can dominate like that team. I used SL simply as an example, is it really that difficult to understand?? Waugh's team once swept SL in SL. I sincerely doubt this team can do that. For crying out loud they beat England 5-0 at home and what else...ok they have the current RSA team on the ropes but that's nothing new and the series is far from over.....And how exactly is this team far stronger than 2011?? The bowling attack is for the most part the same (save Siddle) and the batting now (outside of Clarke) still remains suspect.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No no no, we r comparing this team to Waugh/Taylor teams, and whether this team will/can dominate like that team. I used SL simply as an example, is it really that difficult to understand?? Waugh's team once swept SL in SL. I sincerely doubt this team can do this. For crying out loud they beat England 5-0 at home and what else...ok they have the current RSA team on the ropes but that's nothing new and the series is far from over.....
Why don't you look beyond the results and actually see how the players have progressed since their selections/comebacks?

As for SL in SL that 2011 side would have won 2-0 if not for rain. They still won the series very convincingly anyways.

It's ok to disagree that this side isn't going to be as dominant as the teams of the past but your reasoning is just off.

Last edited:

Slifer

International Captain
Why don't you look beyond the results and actually see how the players have progressed since their selections/comebacks?

As for SL in SL that 2011 side would have won 2-0 if not for rain. They still won the series very convincingly anyways.

It's ok to disagree that this side isn't going to be as dominant as the teams of the past but your reasoning is just off.
How so?? We are measuring this team vs an Oz team (Waugh era) that did the following: 16 tests in a row, whitewashed all teams (incl SL away that's extremely impressive imo), lost in India but were competitive. Wherever Oz played a test back then they were overwhelming favorites and we were surprised when they lost.That team had an all time bowling attack and an all time batting line up (IMO the best of all time). This team does not give off that aura and definitely not after one impressive win over England. This team's batting line up is no where near Waugh's lineup. the bowling I concede has made great strides but regarding Mitch Johnson, one great series (or even two) donot an all timer make. Case in point, he averages 33 away from home. Time will tell if he corrects this.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Dear ****ing god. People were saying this about the England side of just under 3 years ago and it was equally ridiculous then, maybe slightly less so tbh. Dominant teams don't just come about every era, and it is quite hilarious to suggest the possibility of it on the back of one Test series and half a Test. I mean come on...just settle with the fact that they are playing incredibly good cricket at the moment and leave off the absurd deliberations.

OverratedSanity

Don't think it's ridiculous to say they'll be No. 1, though. Only problem is I don't see Clarke playing on too long. If they see even one batsman step up to his level, I can see them getting to the top and staying there for a while . Their bowling stocks are plenty, so no worries there

benchmark00

I agree that it is ridiculous to say this team is going to turn into an all time great team, extremely ridiculous.

As ridiculous as saying Michael Clarke is the only decent batsman in this team or Sri Lanka are the benchmark.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't think it's ridiculous to say they'll be No. 1, though. Only problem is I don't see Clarke playing on too long. If they see even one batsman step up to his level, I can see them getting to the top and staying there for a while . Their bowling stocks are plenty, so no worries there
It's one thing to say that they will get to number 1, which I think is very very possible in the near future, but quite another to say that they are about to enter another period of sustained dominance. That is making so many assumptions and leaps of faith it's crazy. I don't want to take anything away from how good they are playing at the moment but these types of threads always come about when a team starts to look good and I think it's a shame.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
ICC ranked #1? I'm not so sure. South Africa, even if they lose 3-0, would still be ahead by quite a bit. They have Zimbabwe and West Indies to look forward to for easy points. MJ will inevitably come off the purple patch. I'm not sure this team will be heading to #1 unless South Africa falls apart.

TNT

Banned
ICC ranked #1? I'm not so sure. South Africa, even if they lose 3-0, would still be ahead by quite a bit. They have Zimbabwe and West Indies to look forward to for easy points. MJ will inevitably come off the purple patch. I'm not sure this team will be heading to #1 unless South Africa falls apart.
Zim and WI are not easy points, with SA's ranking they have to almost whitewash both teams to keep the points they have.

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Zim and WI are not easy points, with SA's ranking they have to almost whitewash both teams to keep the points they have.
They have a history of doing exactly that (whitewash), and no whitewash can make you drop points (unlike in say football).

Slifer

International Captain

When and where will RSA play the WI and how many tests ??

TNT

Banned
They have a history of doing exactly that (whitewash), and no whitewash can make you drop points (unlike in say football).
That is my point, to keep the points you already have you need to match or better your last results against that team to increase your points. It becomes hard to increase your points if you cant better your results from the last encounter.

morgieb

Doubtful. Batting still kinda flaky IMO.

We'll probably be more like us in the 70's - best side in the world but not super dominant.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
While it's a bit much to suggest this Australian team could become ATG, I can definitely see us returning to #1. Whatever Lehman has done behind the scenes it has worked remarkably well. With some decent bowlers coming through and Smith/Warner surely not at their best yet, it should be an exciting few years.

Slifer

International Captain
Doubtful. Batting still kinda flaky IMO.

We'll probably be more like us in the 70's - best side in the world but not super dominant.
I agree with this assessment. In a sense, what Mitch is doing now, reminds me of Thompson who, for a period, tormented batsmen with his unrelenting pace and aggression and the results flowed (Harris I guess would be his Lillee). That team was the best and raped other good teams like WI and Eng but the tables were so quickly turned. This Oz team has the wood over RSA atm and may very well end up doin the same but the series is still young and far from over.....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So basically after all the debating and arguing, everyone came to a consensus. Australia could be the #1 team in the world, but they are a long way off being an all-time great team (i.e. WI 80s, Waugh 2000s etc.).

Thread closed?.