• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What is Sachin's 99.94?

DaveS

Cricket Spectator
65 years after Don Bradman retired from Test cricket, 99.94 is without a doubt the one statistic that epitomises his epic career.

In 65 years or so what will Sachin's Tendulkar's equivalent be? The hundred hundreds or something else perhaps.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
The sheer quantity of his numbers. His amount of runs, hundreds and matches are pretty massively unrivalled. Not quite to the extent of Bradman's average obviously, and may still be beaten in the coming years, but it's the closest thing he's got.

DaveS

Cricket Spectator
The sheer quantity of his numbers. His amount of runs, hundreds and matches are pretty massively unrivalled. Not quite to the extent of Bradman's average obviously, and may still be beaten in the coming years, but it's the closest thing he's got.
Agree. Scoring almost 5,000 more runs than his nearest rival in ODIs is one of the most telling for me.

DaveS

Cricket Spectator
And it's hard to imagine anyone surpassing 49 ODI centuries. No one is anywhere near now. Perhaps Kohli would be the best candidate in the future.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
If he had retired 2 yrs ago after the Mumbia test when he was dismissed for 94, then he would've had his 99.94

Too bad, he felt it necessary to go on and on

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If he had retired 2 yrs ago after the Mumbia test when he was dismissed for 94, then he would've had his 99.94

Too bad, he felt it necessary to go on and on
No way. 100 centuries will live on far more than 99 and getting out for 94 vs. the WI.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
In my mind I think a hundred 100's will be beaten over the next say 20 years. But if I'd been around at the time I guess I would have thought Hobbs 199 FC tons wouldn't have lasted either so maybe that hundred 100's for me.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
200 tests is pretty epic. It's hard to imagine someone topping that. He got there because he debuted so young, and to sustain his career for so long is immense.

I don't think players in the future will play more tests per year than they do now, so it's quite possible no one will ever come near 200 tests

edit: If Kallis played on for a few more years could he make it? Still needs 36 tests.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
200 tests is pretty epic. It's hard to imagine someone topping that. He got there because he debuted so young, and to sustain his career for so long is immense.

I don't think players in the future will play more tests per year than they do now, so it's quite possible no one will ever come near 200 tests
If Alastair Cook plays the first three Tests of this upcoming series he will have played 100 Tests under the age of 29. It is very possible that he will get close to 200.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
True, even at 29 he has to sustain it for a long time. How many tests do Eng play per year? 10-15?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
His debut was in March 2006, so he is likely to have played 102 Test matches inside 8 years. If he can remain fit and in some sort of form, he'll be around the 200 mark when he is 36-37.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
he aint got no 99.94
This. But the hundred centuries, while a really contrived combined record, will definitely be the closest he's got. I think the fact that he even played on for a while past the landmark but couldn't ever manage another ton is his version of the last innings duck to an extent as well.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think he will, but if we take Virat ****li for example...

If he plays around 4 times the number of one dayers he has now, he'll be around Tendulkar's mark for ODI matches played, which is conceivable. Say he makes four times the amount of centuries he has now, that will leave him on 68 tons.

Say he notches up 4 t20i centuries in that time, that would leave him needing a further 24 (28 in total) test centuries, which although is very difficult, is not inconceivable.