• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Tour Squad for Australia

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Depends who you ask, if you ask Bob Willis then he's superb if you ask anyone who pays attention to CC then no or at least not good enough to justify a test selection in either discipline at this stage.

If Trott was injured would they just move Bell to 3 like Trent Bridge '11.?

Also probably worth pointing out we only took 5 seamers down last time and called up Shahzad when Broad got injured iirc.
I'd argue he's no worse than Bairstow. Then again I am a huge Buttler fan. CK, Davies or Ambrose would be better options in the event of Prior getting injured, IMO.

CK as an option for the number 6 position?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, Shahzad went with them originally, as the sort of 17th that Strauss was talking about on Sunday.

Personally reckon we'd need 6 fast bowlers for a tour of 9 FC games in Australia.
Yeah you'd imagine, like last time, they will play a full second string attack in one of the warmups.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, Shahzad went with them originally, as the sort of 17th that Strauss was talking about on Sunday.

Personally reckon we'd need 6 fast bowlers for a tour of 9 FC games in Australia.

Sounds one too many to me. The 6th choice will be better off with the Lions imo. They can always call up one of the Lions if they want to rest all 3 that have played in a test match.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sounds one too many to me. The 6th choice will be better off with the Lions imo. They can always call up one of the Lions if they want to rest all 3 that have played in a test match.
Or alternatively they could always drop back one to the Performance Squad if they don't want to do that. Result is the same really; in the end England are going to be sending a squad of about 30 and a couple of players around the centre of that could well play games for both sides England are fielding. I'd probably err on the side of naming players in the main squad and then giving them games for the Performance Squad or the Lions or whatever they're going to be called this time just for confidence reasons.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Or alternatively they could always drop back one to the Performance Squad if they don't want to do that. Result is the same really; in the end England are going to be sending a squad of about 30 and a couple of players around the centre of that could well play games for both sides England are fielding. I'd probably err on the side of naming players in the main squad and then giving them games for the Performance Squad or the Lions or whatever they're going to be called this time just for confidence reasons.
Yup, it's hard to argue with any of that. I suppose, for me,there's so much daylight between our first five quicks and the rest that I'd prefer not to promote one of the others when the squad is selected, see how the others go with the Lions and take it from there. But it's all semantics really.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anderson
Broad
Bresnan
Tremlett
Finn
Onions

Which one is it that you think there's daylight before David?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anderson
Broad
Bresnan
Tremlett
Finn
Onions

Which one is it that you think there's daylight before David?
Yeah, I don't see it. Guess he could be assuming Bres is out, then there is daylight between fifth choice and sixth choice. Who would 6th choice in that event be anyway? Rankin? Meaker?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I don't see it. Guess he could be assuming Bres is out, then there is daylight between fifth choice and sixth choice. Who would 6th choice in that event be anyway? Rankin? Meaker?
You're being kind wrt my possible Bresnan-related assumption, but the simple truth is I was unable to count to 6 when typing my previous post. Either that or I'd temporarily forgotten about Onions, but either way I meant there's daylight after the top 6.

:sadwalk:

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Woakes isn't as much of a like for like replacement as you might think though. Sure they're both in that, bowler, notorious for their runs at eight, group, but Woakes is a superior batsman and inferior bowler by some margin. I'd be very surprised if they picked Woakes as one of four bowlers in Australia, something Bresnan is all but guaranteed if fit. For now his place in the side is pretty much entirely reliant on five bowlers, and in most cases, two spinners.

They're also pretty different type of bowlers as well, IMO.

jackbyrne91

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is how I would go about the England squad. I would take 18 players. The 11 that start is made up of 6 batsmen, a keeper and 4 bowlers. 7 reserve players so I would say 2 batsmen, 4 bowlers (3 seam & 1 spin) and a keeper.

I would break it down the following way

Definites (5 bat, 1 WK, 3 bowl)
Cook - Bat
Root - Bat
Trott - Bat
Pietersen - Bat
Bell - Bat
Prior - WK
Swann - Bowl
Broad - Bowl
Anderson - Bowl

Probables (5 bowl)
Tremlett - Bowl
Bresnan - Bowl (Fitness depending)
Finn - Bowl
Onions - Bowl
Panesar - Bowl

Possibles (only space for 3 bats + 1 WK left)
Davies - WK/Bat
Compton - Bat
Ali - Bat
Bopara - Bat
Patel - Bat
Bairstow - Bat/WK??
Taylor - Bat
Ballance - Bat
Morgan - Bat

I would take Taylor, Compton and then I would go for Bopara. Davies I would take as a wicketkeeper, can't see Bairstow doing well in Australia.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Woakes isn't as much of a like for like replacement as you might think though. Sure they're both in that, bowler, notorious for their runs at eight, group, but Woakes is a superior batsman and inferior bowler by some margin. I'd be very surprised if they picked Woakes as one of four bowlers in Australia, something Bresnan is all but guaranteed if fit. For now his place in the side is pretty much entirely reliant on five bowlers, and in most cases, two spinners.

They're also pretty different type of bowlers as well, IMO.
AWTA.

Woakes' future is batting at 6 and chipping in as the 5th bowler IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I think Woakes has to live or die by his runs at this stage. His bowling is definitely good enough as a batting allrounder and, while he should keep working on it, it'll more or less take care of itself. There are big question marks over whether his batting is good enough to play primarily as a batsman but that's what he should be really judged upon at this stage.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What makes you think that? Tremmers came in for Finn in the last series and performed infinitely better, and Finn's bowling hasn't really moved forward much since then. If they're both fully fit I'd imagine Tremmers would be picked first.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd rather have Dernbach than Woakes.
See, it's post like this that piss me off. Woakes has played all of his tests, and probably will play all his tests in the forceable future, as an all-rounder, batting in the top seven. Dernbach is a terrible comparison because they're by no means like for like replacements. If you would honestly rather have Dernbach batting at six in a test match if it meant no Woakes, then, well...