• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian off season domestic 2012/13

uvelocity

International Coach
doesn't matter who the names are, nsw fell over that many times last year that a cleanout is a good thing.

Andre

International Regular
Not all that worried about the losses of Hughes and Khawaja to be honest. The way they have handled their Test axings suggests to me they are looking for a quick fix more than they are looking to improve and develop their games. From what I've heard about those 2 guys, it doesn't sound like we are losing the heart and soul of the squad off the field anyway, there are concerns about both their contributions without bat in hand.

Katich is obviously irreplaceable in the short term but NSW has a remarkable ability to produce and find quality players. Every time we go back to the unknowns we seem to give the title a real shake so I see it as a positive we are losing a few. We'll be right

My biggest concern is still A Stuart as coach though, especially with a guy like Bayliss cooling his heels.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Nathan Hauritz returning to Queensland will be interesting. Cameron Boyce has significantly improved over the past two seasons and has significant up-side at the age of 22. Selectors will need to be careful with the treatment of Boyce.

Riggins

International Captain
yea i'd be more worried if he was in one of the other states. boof seems to know what he's doing.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Boof is God. Would drink the sweat out of Boof's box if I thought it would grant me his powers/if he asked me to.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Lol. Hauritz will be great for us in ODI's but I agree with Noble One that Boyce is the number 1 spinner in the Shield.

1. Townsend 2. Khawaja 3. Burns 4. Forrest 5. Lynn 6. Hopes 7. Hartley 8 Cutting 9 McDermott 10 Boyce 11 Feldman/Gale/Gannon/Walter if Harris is away is an exciting XI.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Lol. Hauritz will be great for us in ODI's but I agree with Noble One that Boyce is the number 1 spinner in the Shield.

1. Townsend 2. Khawaja 3. Burns 4. Forrest 5. Lynn 6. Hopes 7. Hartley 8 Cutting 9 McDermott 10 Boyce 11 Feldman/Gale/Gannon/Walter if Harris is away is an exciting XI.
Hauritz to open the batting.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hauritz to open the batting.
I almost wrote that actually! Not the worst option, he will have some competition from Kemp, Robinson, Broad too.

Important start to the year for Lynn as he will be facing a lot of pressure to keep his spot.

bondi beach

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Usman Khawaja joins Queensland

Really terrible news. From last year's squad they have lost:

Hughes
Khawaja
Katich
Jacques
Hauritz
Casson
Clark
Lee

That's eight internationals! Hughes and Khawaja departure leaves a massive hole in the batting line up.

Starting XI now: Maddinson, Patterson, Smith, Rohrer, Henriques, Nevill, O'Keefe, Copeland, Bollinger, Hazlewood, Lalor

Compared to:

Hughes, Khawaja, Jacques, Katich, Smith, Nevill, Hairitz, Lee, Clark, Casson

NSW to finish bottom next season and the coach to be sacked.

Last edited:

bondi beach

nsw to play young kids who end up playing in the return leg of the double ashes
Dream on. More likely they been thrashed every week. Batting looks very weak!

With Clark, Casson, Hauritz, Hughes, Jacques, Katich, Khawaja and Lee gone what are NSW options?

Batting

Clarke (unlikely to play many games due to CA commitments)
Cruickshank
Henry
Maddinson
Patterson
Rohrer
Watson (see Clarke)
Warner (see Clarke)

Keepers

Dawson
Nevill
Haddin (see Clarke)
Smith

Spinners

Brain
Doran
O'Keefe
Smith
Zampa

Seamers

Abbott
Bills
Bollinger
****ley
Copeland
Coyte
Cummins (see Clarke)
Hazlewood
Henriques
Lalor
Starc (see Clarke)
Tremain
van der Gugten

Plenty of options there but a real lack of quality compared to last year. I really think a couple of quality batsmen to replace Hughes an Khawaja need to be signed if NSW aren't to struggle next season. Obviously they will miss the experience of Clark, Casson, Hauritz, Jacques, Katich and Lee.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
You are giving Casson far too much credit. Yeah he played Test Cricket, but someone like Ben Rohrer is more experienced and more valuable to the team even if Casson was completely fit (hope he's well btw).

The other day you were annoyed at Haddin receiving a CA contract, so perhaps you'll get to enjoy watching him bat for the Blues most of the summer.

Patterson is going to be a star. Maddinson can play. Nevill averages over 45, Ben Rohrer has a test named after him. Haddin isn't going to play for Australia all the time, if at all. Steve Smith showed signs towards the end of the year that he is maturing. Its not all doom and gloom.

bondi beach

To be fair even with Hauritz departure to Queensland NSW have Steven O'Keefe and Steve Smith to fill the spin bowling department duties.

Although Clark and Lee have gone there are still plenty of options in the seam bowling department. That said, if someone like Jackson Bird was to become available then I would snap them up.

The batting is my real concern. Whilst the retirement of Phil Jaques and Simon Katich weren't completly unexpected the departures of Phil Hughes and Usman Khawaja leaves a massive hole in the batting line up. With six openers either retired, moved on or centrally contracted who will open with Maddinson?

To expect Patterson, Maddinson, Smith, Rohrer and Nevill to all perform at the same time is unrealistic. What happens if these players suffer injuries or loss of form? I feel NSW are at least a quality batsman if not two short.

As for Haddin, I think Wade and Nevill are both better players than him.

bondi beach

Bailey and Cowan have signed for Tasmania but they are still plenty of options out there:

Quiney
Davis
Klinger
Rogers
Burns
Voges
Cooper
Townsend
Forrest
Cazzulino
Ferguson
Handscombe (would also provide a backup keeper option)
S Marsh (had a poor season last year but has a point to prove)

If they lose any bowlers they may need to look at the following to strengthen the bowling attack:

Bird
Faulkner
Cutting
Rimmington
Butterworth
George
McDermott
Mennie
Faulkner has signed a three year contract with Tasmania. Coulter-Nile is another good bowler who would add to the above list. If other states are going to poach our best players how about we do the same back? How about signing a couple of batsmen and another seamer?

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Overreaction much? NSW are a quality batsman or two short, however name a state that doesn't have some glaring weakness.

NSW have the best development system in this country. Keep selecting the rising talent rather than poaching a fill-in. Results can hardly be worse than last season?

uvelocity

International Coach
also nsw would have been in the same position had hughes and ussie grasped their chances in the test side anyway