• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Tennis Thread

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not bothered to get into the Federer vs. Nadal debates, I'm just gonna let matters take their course and see how it pans out....

and stay the **** away from this thread for about six months if the unthinkable comes to pass.. :ph34r:

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
The Aust Open final was at night as was the semi. And the semi was the longest Aust Open match in terms of minutes ever in the history of the Open. So I guarantee you that match went late!

If you think perhaps the most focused tennis player in the last 20 years won't win the US Open because of a chatty crowd, then I really think you're not giving Nadal enough credit.

I agree this is clearly his most unfavourable conditions. However last year he was playing at barely 75% and he made the semis.

He's much fitter now and has come in better prepared. He could make the final.

And if he comes up against Federer, the surface is irrelevant. It's all mental, and we know Fed has a block when he comes up against Rafa,
Point 1. Yes but the semis and final started in the early evening such as 4 PM and ended around 9 (the semi did), where as the US Open will start around 8 and end late into the night so the ball will start much more dead and end up even flatter.

Point 2. Fair enough.

Point 3. I disagree on the surface. Nadal's ball is better on the grass because of the mostly cloudy England weather providing much more spin for him (just like how overcast conditions in cricket are better for bowling). This makes his ball harder to deal will, but at the US it's going to be less that way. Mental yes but is that not the case why Fed is the favorite? Tight wins over Djoker and especially Berdych (the rival) to pump him up, and a win at the Roger's Masters.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Point 1. Yes but the semis and final started in the early evening such as 4 PM and ended around 9 (the semi did), where as the US Open will start around 8 and end late into the night so the ball will start much more dead and end up even flatter.
Mate, I live in Melbourne, where the Australian Open is held. I guarantee you the semi and final did not start at 4pm and did not end around 9pm. You are way way off here.

Spudsy2061

U19 Cricketer
Mate, I live in Melbourne, where the Australian Open is held. I guarantee you the semi and final did not start at 4pm and did not end around 9pm. You are way way off here.
Yeah I just looked at it. My bad I stand corrected. It was AIRED over here around 4 PM. My apologies mate.

EDIT: Question of topic: Why the **** is Dementieva so good with such an awkward looking service motion. It's robotic, grant it not as bad as Bartoli's but you ain't going anywhere with that serve.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I don't understand how she's been stronger on serve since in the last 1.5 sets. Weird stuff.

Dementieva's ground strokes are freakish though. Amazingly good.

vcs

I love Bartoli's serve. :laugh::laugh:

Dementieva has a great ground game but I find her groundstrokes somewhat unimaginative and robotic. But it's strange, because I find Davydenko the second most entertaining player to watch on the men's side after Federer. So I guess it comes down to personal preference.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Stosur can somehow hold, she'll win. Obviously though if she's broken it's game over.

All hinges on this service game. Can't see Dement holding again.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Stosur can somehow hold, she'll win. Obviously though if she's broken it's game over.

All hinges on this service game. Can't see Dement holding again.

vcs

Hope Stosur wins here, it will be a nice contrast of styles if she plays Clijsters.