• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

40-over Format

Jayzamann

International Regular
Having two separtate innings is nothing more than smooshing two t20 matches together. Surely they're doing this to differentiate one day cricket from t20. Making it more like test cricket with two innings, or innings split in half is not the way to go, imo.

I think this sort of tinkering is an overreaction. I still enjoy one day cricket the way it is. Cutting it to one 40 over inning each would probably be the way to go, keeping it at 50 for internationals.

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I personally would like this two innings 25/20 overs per innings and wickets and runs accumulated concept. May turn out to be dumb, I don't know. But, would like to see how it goes. Wouldn't like it if the wickets don't accumulate. It would then be just 2 T20 games and there are already too many of those.

Sir Alex

Banned
I personally would like this two innings 25/20 overs per innings and wickets and runs accumulated concept. May turn out to be dumb, I don't know. But, would like to see how it goes. Wouldn't like it if the wickets don't accumulate. It would then be just 2 T20 games and there are already too many of those.
It would make the first 25 exteremely boring as the guys would be trying to accumulate runs at as less cost as possible and a normal T20 situation in the second imho.

The whole thing is reinventing the wheel..

Matt79

Global Moderator
WHAT'S WRONG WITH 50 OVER CRICKET?????????????

These days half the threads on CC are about new formats or changes to ODIs, and the administrators can't leave it alone either, but i think it's brillant. I feel like I'm on crazy pills tbh.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I heard one of the ideas was to have have two separate innings of 20 overs. But each team will only have 10 wickets to use up both innings. So in the first innings you could lose 7 wickets. But then in the 2nd innings you send your openers out again and have 3 wickets to use in the final 20 overs.

If they did something like that and add in a rule where 4 bowlers could bowl 10 overs each in both innings I reckon it would work. Spliting innings in halves wont do anything. Having two innings of 20 over cricket under the current rule wont do anything.

The biggest problem with 50 over cricket is 5th bowlers, bits and pieces players and middle overs. If four bowlers can ball out in both innings that would be good. Also you could have some bowlers finish their overs in the first lot of overs. Batting wise teams would play extra batsmen if they didn't have to carry bits and pieces all rounders to cover the 5th bowler and extend the batting.

Xuhaib

International Coach
It would make the first 25 exteremely boring as the guys would be trying to accumulate runs at as less cost as possible and a normal T20 situation in the second imho.

The whole thing is reinventing the wheel..
not really what if its a day night game and in the evening the ball swings more at the venue surely that would mean a different strategy.I am with Crux its worth trying we still keep a lot of 40/50 overs dynamics at the same time also up a whole new avenue in regards to limited overs tactics.

Sir Alex

Banned
not really what if its a day night game and in the evening the ball swings more at the venue surely that would mean a different strategy.I am with Crux its worth trying we still keep a lot of 40/50 overs dynamics at the same time also up a whole new avenue in regards to limited overs tactics.
Frankly don't see the point because what you said is a minority and is outweighed by far by the cons of this idea. Innovation for it's sake.

I would.nt mind them doing two sets of t20 innings although there is no need for it in the first place.

It's going to be an epic disaster.

Patroclus

Banned
Frankly don't see the point because what you said is a minority and is outweighed by far by the cons of this idea. Innovation for it's sake.

I would.nt mind them doing two sets of t20 innings although there is no need for it in the first place.

It's going to be an epic disaster.
two sets of t20 innings:@