• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now a 9 Run Hit

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Here is the thing. They would not have gone to FC games in the first place. It isnt like they are being stolen from 4 day cricket and being turned into evil T20 fans. I know this because noone watched FC cricket and still noone watches FC cricket.

Its a game for all people. Im a Test match elitist and I love T20, same as my American co-worker who doesnt like cricket but has watched a T20 game when living in UK.

Its an event, its a spectacle and it is still cricket.

I dont care whether the crowd like FC cricket or not. The fact they are watching our game and getting excited about it is a great thing.

The more the better.
Twenty20 is indeed a game for more people than cricket is (cricket's following will always be limited to a minority). However, overwhelmingly, Twenty20 is, well... a game for people who don't like cricket (ie, First-Class cricket). I have never once suggested Twenty20 is taking people away from the First-Class game, simply that the game (ie, the First-Class game) is not gaining much fanship from Twenty20.

I've not once said Twenty20 is useless, as no-one ever argues against aesses on seats - or nice big TV contracts. But that's the limit of its use to the First-Class game. Most people who like Twenty20 are not cricket (First-Class cricket) fans. And therefore it really doesn't matter that much (to me and other people who like cricket but don't like Twenty20, or to most Twenty20 fans who don't like cricket) how much Twenty20 resembles First-Class cricket - all that matters is that Twenty20 has a big audience.

The number of people who like First-Class cricket and like Twenty20 is absolutely miniscule when taken as a percentage of everyone who likes First-Class cricket plus everyone who likes Twenty20. That is all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've seen people spell cappuccino cappachino in places. Doesn't make it right.
Well, it might be right in that language. Anyway, Roberts lost the will to live recently over debates like this, so that'll be my last word on the matter. :dry:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Twenty20 is indeed a game for more people than cricket is (cricket's following will always be limited to a minority). However, overwhelmingly, Twenty20 is, well... a game for people who don't like cricket (ie, First-Class cricket). I have never once suggested Twenty20 is taking people away from the First-Class game, simply that the game (ie, the First-Class game) is not gaining much fanship from Twenty20.

I've not once said Twenty20 is useless, as no-one ever argues against aesses on seats - or nice big TV contracts. But that's the limit of its use to the First-Class game. Most people who like Twenty20 are not cricket (First-Class cricket) fans. And therefore it really doesn't matter that much (to me and other people who like cricket but don't like Twenty20, or to most Twenty20 fans who don't like cricket) how much Twenty20 resembles First-Class cricket - all that matters is that Twenty20 has a big audience.

The number of people who like First-Class cricket and like Twenty20 is absolutely miniscule when taken as a percentage of everyone who likes First-Class cricket plus everyone who likes Twenty20. That is all.
Have you surveyed every single T20 cricket fan and found out that they all hate first class cricket? I'm sure most of them are indifferent to first class cricket. They know it's there, they don't hate it, but they are also not interested in it. Hate is a far too strong a word, and pretty much just plain wrong.

Plus, the amount of people who like first class cricket is minuscule anyway. This is why T20 cricket was invented. It allows first class cricket to continue existing in it's current format, without it being tinkered with to attract crowd.

So really, first class cricket is in debt to T20, just as it is/was to one day cricket.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know you're not alone in your opinion here Richard, but you do indeed put it across more pompously and assertively than most others. Most of those others can accept that people may be fans of T20 and have no clue about cricket, though.
:huh:

Are you excluding me from "most of those others" or not? 'Cos I'm certainly in the "most Twenty20 fans have no clue about cricket" camp.

NZTailender

Well, it might be right in that language. Anyway, Roberts lost the will to live recently over debates like this, so that'll be my last word on the matter. :dry:
What language? Cappuccino has one spelling. It's not like it (cappachino) is a translation. It's laziness.

NZTailender

:huh:

Are you excluding me from "most of those others" or not? 'Cos I'm certainly in the "most Twenty20 fans have no clue about cricket" camp.
You're not excluded from that group, you're just in another group as well which has the same prerequisites, but with the added criteria of pompousness and blind righteousness.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Have you surveyed every single T20 cricket fan and found out that they all hate first class cricket? I'm sure most of them are indifferent to first class cricket. They know it's there, they don't hate it, but they are also not interested in it. Hate is a far too strong a word, and pretty much just plain wrong.
I never said "hate" did I? I said... surprise surprise, "don't like". Which means, and no more than, that they do not like it. Not dislike, just do not like. There's a difference. "Don't like" is being indifferent to. And most Twenty20 fans are not fans of the First-Class game, so therefore they don't like it.
Plus, the amount of people who like first class cricket is minuscule anyway. This is why T20 cricket was invented. It allows first class cricket to continue existing in it's current format, without it being tinkered with to attract crowd.

So really, first class cricket is in debt to T20, just as it is/was to one day cricket.
Oh, without a doubt. As I say - there's no arguing with aesses on seats and big fat TV contracts (though the danger of skewed paycheques is very considerable).

However this means that it's not remotely important that Twenty20 resembles cricket. It can be whatever, as long as people pay to watch it and the profits go to those who stage First-Class cricket.

NZTailender

I never said "hate" did I? I said... surprise surprise, "don't like". Which means, and no more than, that they do not like it. Not dislike, just do not like. There's a difference. "Don't like" is being indifferent to. And most Twenty20 fans are not fans of the First-Class game, so therefore they don't like it.
You are right, and I mis-read. However, can't you see it from their point of view? They like T20 and are indifferent to first class cricket. You like first class cricket and are indifferent to T20. Neither of you are right or wrong, it's just your opinion. However, being pompous about it is not cool, bro.

Oh, without a doubt. As I say - there's no arguing with aesses on seats and big fat TV contracts (though the danger of skewed paycheques is very considerable).

However this means that it's not remotely important that Twenty20 resembles cricket. It can be whatever, as long as people pay to watch it and the profits go to those who stage First-Class cricket.
See, this is where your definitions are annoying because cricket ≠ first class.
First class, List A, Tests, ODI, T20 and T20I are all forms of the game of cricket, and that's not just my opinion but an actual fact.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
**** rule. How is it implemented?
If the ball goes 90 metres, it's 9 runs.

Edit: Actually I was wondering that too...I'd like to see a ring of people with white helmets on at the 90 metre mark.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are right, and I mis-read. However, can't you see it from their point of view? They like T20 and are indifferent to first class cricket. You like first class cricket and are indifferent to T20. Neither of you are right or wrong, it's just your opinion. However, being pompous about it is not cool, bro.
Of course I can see it from the Twenty20-and-not-First-Class-fan POV. I don't object to such people or anything, simply say that for most of them there is no need to try to make Twenty20 resemble First-Class cricket.
See, this is where your definitions are annoying because cricket ≠ first class.
First class, List A, Tests, ODI, T20 and T20I are all forms of the game of cricket, and that's not just my opinion but an actual fact.
Well, First-Class (which includes Tests BTW, as you know) cricket has been around for longer than anyone still alive can remember - List-A-OD cricket (which includes ODIs) has been around for 45 years and no more. However definitions are always down to personal opinion really - I've long said I don't have to accept some rubbish I$C$C says, and they (plus in a few cases the ACSAS, who are generally much more sensible) are the only ones who make definitions which resemble "fact" about what is and what isn't whatnot.

Rugby union and rugby league are both rugby too - that doesn't stop countless hundreds of fans of one genre claiming the other isn't really rugby.

Basically, I call cricket First-Class (incl. Test) cricket "cricket"; I call List-A-OD (incl. ODI) "one-day cricket" and Twenty20 (incl. Twenty20 I) "Twenty20". You can disagree with that definition if you want and if I think you're a reasonable person I'll probably make an effort to bend to your ways when conversing with you - I really must do that with you from now on Thom-meister - but I don't really think there's any "fact" to it.

Kovas

Cricket Spectator
If the ball goes 90 metres, it's 9 runs.

Edit: Actually I was wondering that too...I'd like to see a ring of people with white helmets on at the 90 metre mark.
I'm not stupid. Lucky for your edit.

Ninety metres is obviously over the boundary, so how do they work out which shots go over 90 metres? Marking the stadium or grandstand...? Sounds ludicrous.